Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Well, this one wasn't MY fault, but...
- Parked at the beach 2 weeks ago
- All parallel parking, aprox 40' marked spots
- The 3 spots in front of me were empty
- A guy pulls his jeep in to hook-up. Didn't have room where he was.
- He's 10' into the space in front of me. I'm at least 5' back (=15' for those in Rio Linda)
- Pulls MH up to hook-up.
- We get to talking, turns out he's a friend of a friend that was visiting.
- Says "well, gotta hook-up"
- Gets in jeep, lines up on the back of his rig, doesn't like it. Backs up, and backs up, and backs up (with 3 of us watching this), I finally yell to "STOP"! Too late!
- Spare tire of Jeep smacks my rig and spider-cracks about 15 sq in area of the front cap. Nothing severe, but still..

- The Bi^%h is that you really have to look to see it because the mask really protected the paint, so all you see is tiny little cracks and the stretch of the mask.

- $4300.00 for the fix and a new 3M mask.
Bummer....

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:

OK! Here are the photos. This happened at a gas station in Golden, BC last July. It may be hard to make out, but the thing in the shadow of the MH is what went into the bottom corner of the end cap as I turned too soon leaving the station.
We immediately found a nearby open lot and got out the big roll of duct tape. Later, at the campground, I drilled holes in parts of the fiberglass and used baling wire to secure the various parts to each other and the underbody and covered the seams again with duct tape.

That held up for around 7,000 miles until it was repaired at the factory in late October.
Yes, there were some initial words - but then we realized there was no other property damage and we didn't have to be towed.
Things happen. Life goes on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ding-A-Ling is not quite telling the complete story. He and his wife ventured into a restaurant after finishing the duct taping and had a very calm lunch with my wife and I. In fact didn't even mention the incident until we were both headed for the large parking lot to continue that leg of our caravan. How could you be so calm? I would have been a wreck... Of course, to make him feel somewhat better, we managed to get a pine tree lodged behind the end of the awning up against the coach body. This required a small tractor with a chain attached to the tree to pull it back so I could get out. Minimal damage done but sure provided some campground entertainment. I swear that tree was hiding and jumped next to the coach. At least that's my story.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I think I have you all beat. When our 2005 Voyage 38J was three weeks old, after having a 2000 Adventurer with basement air, I forgot we now had roof air and went under the railroad trestle that I used to go under. WOW! It ripped off both airconditioners and ripped a strip all the way back from one to the other with the wire. We had to have the whole roof replaced and of course two new acs. We were without it until the next year. I do not even use that road anymore. During the rest of next year we had people tell us three different times of three different rigs loosing their ac. They were always found in the ditch. I will never live that one down. People keep reminding me. LOL
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chandler Bing:
I think I have you all beat. When our 2005 Voyage 38J was three weeks old, after having a 2000 Adventurer with basement air, I forgot we now had roof air and went under the railroad trestle that I used to go under. WOW! It ripped off both airconditioners and ripped a strip all the way back from one to the other with the wire. We had to have the whole roof replaced and of course two new acs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chandler Bing;

What is the cost to repair, and any photos? Considering all the digital cameras out there, we're not getting many photos...

I recently took my MH to the coast mid-week to get a good spot. My wife was picking me up but I had a couple of hours to kill, so I decided to start 'walking home'. I was amazed at the RV parts that I saw along the road: 1 a/c unit, broken parts from awnings, 1 awning, a few water heater doors, an exterior refrigerator access door, a few exterior storage compartment doors, T.V. antennas, (the Winegard Bat-wing must be the number one antenna for road-kill), plastic & fiberglas rear bumper pieces and various entry door latches. Lots of bolts and lung nuts too, but hard to say if they came from RV's. All this on the outbound side of the road, within 3 miles of the RV park... Must be a lot of phone calls on Mondays to insurance companies...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lbasden: I swear that tree was hiding and jumped next to the coach. At least that's my story. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, we won't talk about those movable trees.
Early in our camping adventures with a dual-axle travel trailer in the '70s we had to cut down a 3" tree because that darned thing kept moving closer to the camper as I tried to get out of the campsite. I keep getting reminded of that by a good "buddy."
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

My experience is that I was attacked by a Palm Tree. I swear it was not there when I left the camp spot. The tree caught the corner in the rear and ripped off the back of the RV!

Now I never move without a spotter!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

The rear of my coach was recently attacked by a sign over a gas pump at Wal-Mart. Scrapped through the gelcote. I still think it was the signs fault. I did learn to never, never pull in if not 100 % comfortable with the exit. A truck had blocked me in and I tried to turn too sharp to get out. Should have waited.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RCtime:
Thanks all of you for your humor, candid advice, and your own misshaps. Yes I do feel like a human being again, that can make a mistake and go on from there.
Here is this mornings update. I straighted the bracket that holds the drivers side of the facia. This installs under the airconditioner door. With the help of my son-in-law we bolted it all up and it was surprisingly sturdy even without the glued on brackets support. It is now driveable again and except for a 3x10 inch scrape on the corner of the facia, it looks just fine.
Monday morning I have a service appointment to have 2 hwh rear slideout hoses installed. When I get it home I will remove the rear facia completly, reinstall the brackets with some Poligrip 7779 (Thank you Notsio) and have it touched up at a paint shop. When finished I will reinstall it with my helper Ed. Glad my daughter found that guy. Gotta get cracking though as we leave the 1st of April for a 2 month trip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with scrapes, cracks, bumps and bashes on all four corners. A simple solution...(listen up Winnebago engineers) BUMPERS! What ever happened to bumpers? Seen any on motor homes lately? And here's a tip that worked for me. The caps on both ends of our classs A rigs are spot bonded to steel bracketry. The bonds pop when stressed. There are many adhesives you can use to re-bond them, but to be sure, I used stainless steel button head 1/4-20 bolts to re-secure the panels. These can easily be buffed to a chrome like finish. For a factory look (instead of an obvious fix) duplicate the bolt or bolts on the other side of the coach to match. The bolts also make great clamps to hold everything in place while the adhesive cures.
Pueblo Dave
Pueblo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote