Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic Leveling Jack Issues 2008 Sightseer 35j

This is on a 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35j

This is my first A class, all my TT had scissor stabilizers, so this question may sound dumb, but I just need some advise.

So when I bought our rig our leveling jacks did not seem to work. I finally got around to troubleshooting it. I took it to a flat parking lot and did a calibration right directly on the concrete.

My driveway is graded just a bit (its Florida grading so its not steep at all). And im parking it in the grass next to my drive way.

I built 6 inch blocks with some 2x4s and a 2x2 to have a pretty beefy pad under the feet. I was told that you don't want the legs to extend too far because it helps stabilize better.

However after calibration. The rig extends the front wheels off the ground SO MUCH.

I feel this is because its extending the back jacks down an excessive amount.

One I put the 6 inch blocks under it, i figured the rig would just extend the feet on the back side just enough to stabilize then extend the front until level.

But instead it extends all 4 until it gets to a certain point, then extenders all the legs until level.

This causes the front to be hyper extended on the 6 inch blocks.

Is it best scenario not to have tall blocks down? Should I just put a flat piece of wood down instead?

If i don't use wood, the feet go into the Florida soil pretty easily.

I am just wondering if the blocks are causing more harm than good.

As a 2nd question. One of the feet on my leveling legs is bent pretty bad. I am wondering if this is from hitting a rock or something. But I had considered getting Snap Pads instead, but with the foot bent, i dont think a snap pad would even fit on it.

Thank you all in advance!
bnd10706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 02:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

In our experience......

The allure of one touch leveling is powerful. We actually know folks who can achieve it on level park pads. Hugely envious. We don't boondock with anyone who can "in the wild".

Our owners manual and HWH manual warn against over extending. We endeavor to maintain our rig to mechanical specs. I have calibrated our levelers, and have paid to have them calibrated. We've given up on one touch and simply do it ourselves. It's faster anyway.

Our observation is that the system in auto seeks perfection. As it seeks that, it step by step over extends. When we do it manually, we quit when the bubble hits the bull's eye. (or close "in the wild")

We just follow the manual steps in the HWH manual. Set up our bubble level (removed that app from our phones), level the low side, set the other side to just touch the ground, tweak fore and aft level, shut down, pour a tall gin n short tonic (well, that part's not in the manual)

Just our experience and observations

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would take the blocks out and just use 2" X 10"'s to go under pads . I find that if I use to much pad under the jacks the wheels sometimes come off the ground . Not good . If that will be a permanent site then put a gravel or concrete pad where jacks come down . Need to get your tires out of the dirt also .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It will really help to know the model# of your HWH leveling system.This helps.

Adjusting/calibrating the leveling board requires a specific procedure or that extended leveling occurs.For instance the potted board leveling instructions identify a screw that is not to be turned, if it is turned incorrectly it will lift the coach to the maximum.
Each system model # can have different procedures.
model 625 adjustment procedure
potted electronic sensing unit adjustment procedure
control box-mounted sensing unit adjustment procedure

FYI, nearly every publication by HWH can be found on the HWH FAQ page, which itself is a very valuable resource.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 04:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Fully agree, especially the tall gin and tonic part.
RHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 07:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2009 35J. The auto-leveling is useless. The solution to every problem is "go higher." I can manually level it faster and closer to the ground every time.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mo View Post
I have a 2009 35J. The auto-leveling is useless. The solution to every problem is "go higher." I can manually level it faster and closer to the ground every time.
Follow the adjustment guide I posted to return your system to proper operation. There is one screw identified that says it should not be turned. If it is adjusted too tight, what you describe happens.
Park on a hard surface, back that screw out 1 turn and try auto-leveling, observe results.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-01-2023, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I believe the Sightseers around 2008, had Kwikee jacks, not HWH. So the HWH manuals don't directly apply.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
return your system to proper operation.

As if it ever operated properly.

No thanks. Leveling it myself just doesn't bother me. I'm thrilled it has leveling jacks and I'm not setting blocks to get level like we did last century.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
I believe the Sightseers around 2008, had Kwikee jacks, not HWH. So the HWH manuals don't directly apply.
That's exactly why I asked he provide that information, which he didn't.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

As if it ever operated properly.

No thanks. Leveling it myself just doesn't bother me. I'm thrilled it has leveling jacks and I'm not setting blocks to get level like we did last century.
That makes me wonder why you mentioned it???
Old 03-01-2023, 08:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That makes me wonder why you mentioned it???
Is it no longer a considered helpful to share "mine does that too" to indicate that it's not a one-off problem for the OP?
John Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:52 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Is it no longer a considered helpful to share "mine does that too" to indicate that it's not a one-off problem for the OP?
Yes, it is very helpful and normally, most members will not turn on you for doing so.

The rule here is simple, treat every member with respect... all the time.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes it is considered helpful to say mine does that too. I was referring to your "no thanks" manual leveling doesn't bother me. comment after I explained how to correct your auto-level function you complained about not working properly. I tried to help by offering pdf's and manuals to consult.
I felt it was kinds like you spit on my shoe for trying to help.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Forums are an interesting place. We often get folks asking for help and they seem to think it usefull but do very little to try to help!
When they ask a question and leave out the needed info, they often ignore any request for that info. It's as if folks think we all are there with them and should know what they are talking about.
I think I have to admit that caring is not really a practical human trait when it comes to about 50 % of the people!

Most of the time when we discuss a problem, we never know if it worked as we never hear the results!

It's like handing money to street folks?
If you hand them money they may want more but if they drop it, they may not bother to pick it up!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:54 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

im sorry for the delay on response! Spotty internet!

So it is a Ford Chassis.

I have gone with the recommendation here, and just got 2x10 inch blocks and then just self leveled. It has solved my problem.
bnd10706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, sightseer, hydraulic