Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2021, 04:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic leak for leveling jacks system and slow retraction of levelors

Hello community,
I recently purchased a used 2011 Winnebago vista 30w.
I have been going through it and discovered a minor fluid leak coming from the bottom of the tank reservoir.
It appears to be emitting from underneath the c- clamp which secures the plastic tank to the pump.
I tried to tighten the c- clamp with a flathead screwdriver but it seems tight and doesn't budge.
The leak occurs when the levelor jacks are fully extended and complete the leveling cycle.
The passenger side rear jack seems very slow on retraction as well. Maybe a lubricating issue??
Fluid level on full retraction looks good at about 1 inch below the top.
Wanted to get any advice and opinions on these two issues before going further with attempted repairs or adding any stop leak products.
Much appreciated...
Scout
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

O P here,
Forgot to mention that the leak bnb is minimal...a few drops upon full extension..
Old 03-08-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Site Team

We have a front passenger leveling jack with a slight leak on the jack seal. On retraction it will leak maybe a tablespoon of fluid. I know it needs fixed but the cost and difficulty getting a convenient service appointment have kept me from getting it fixed for a full year now.

I carry a quart of ATF fluid in a basement compartment along with a funnel and rubber gloves and when my leveling system alarm lets me know the level is low I can pull off the road and top it up in a minute or two.

I know I need to get it fixed. It's wasteful and wrong to not. But the cost and hassle are high and living with the chronic issue is so low.... well, you get the picture.

I'd get it fixed if I were you but stop leak additives??? No way.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like several different problems may be on hand.
One is they way you describe the leak on the tank. If there is a leak behind the strap, I might want to loosen the strap and find if there is a hole horn in the tank. That can happen to things that get loose and rub.

Lots of small parts like valves might be making the slow rear jack. There are a number of valves and small lines which can become fouled with bits of debris over the years or they may simple wear out and need replaced.

Those small spaces which get stopped up make stop leaks way bad! Clean and replace fluids may be more needed. But that is a whole different and really deep subject to get into. Takes time and talent that I don't expect to ever have, so I will be going to the pros for those problems.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had some trouble locating the info I had stored but this might be a place to read up a bit and it also has some access to manuals if you can locate exactly which model you have:
https://support.lci1.com/hydraulic-l...4-point3-valve

Mostly said I did not feel up to doing some of the fussy parts but that may just mean you are more motivated than me???
Best of luck!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the replies.
The way it is expelling fluid, I will try backing off the c clamp and check for holes around the neck of the tank,as suggested, or, it could possibly be coming from the supply line above the reservoir...will let you know if I am successful...
Old 03-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

OP here,
Problem solved!
Leak was emanating from one of the solenoids.
Tightened it about 1/4 turn...stopped leaking so far.
O ring may need replacement. Will keep an eye on it.
Thanks to all who replied!
Old 03-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
OP here,
Problem solved!
Leak was emanating from one of the solenoids.
Tightened it about 1/4 turn...stopped leaking so far.
O ring may need replacement. Will keep an eye on it.
Thanks to all who replied!
If you need parts contact these folks: HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
They have always been good to me. Much easier to work with than HWH.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We have a front passenger leveling jack with a slight leak on the jack seal. On retraction it will leak maybe a tablespoon of fluid. I know it needs fixed but the cost and difficulty getting a convenient service appointment have kept me from getting it fixed for a full year now.

I carry a quart of ATF fluid in a basement compartment along with a funnel and rubber gloves and when my leveling system alarm lets me know the level is low I can pull off the road and top it up in a minute or two.

I know I need to get it fixed. It's wasteful and wrong to not. But the cost and hassle are high and living with the chronic issue is so low.... well, you get the picture.

I'd get it fixed if I were you but stop leak additives??? No way.
We are in the middle of finally addressing our leaking jacks.
Our coach is older (2006), and the Kwikee Level Best 3000 jacks are horrendously expensive to replace. Luckily, we found a local hydraulic shop that can rebuild them four about $400 each. We popped all four off last week, and are waiting for the call to come pick them up some time this week. Our seals were to the point of hemorrhaging fluid all over our RV pad. I mean almost 1/4 cup each. It was worse when the weather dipped below 40 degrees.

Anyway, I think that it would be a good idea to drain and fill the reservoir while I'm at it. On the bottom I see a circular plug, and dead in the middle of that plug is another round hole. I suspect at one time those might have had Allen head flats. If so, the I can use an Easy-Out to remove the plug, and either replace it or broach some more Allen flats into it. Anybody here familiar with that system and drain plug?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, jacks, leak, leveling, leveling jacks