Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic Hose Bubble - leave for 2 mos?

we were packing up the RV last night for storage because we have to go overseas for 2 mos, and it will be unattended. we found a bubble the size of a grape in our hydraulic hose in the compartment in the patio/passenger side
i found this thread, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/resc...les-69998.html suggesting to tape it up with "rescue tape"(??), but that guy was going on a cross country trip. i only have duct tape now, and i have to catch a flight in a few hours. should i bother duct taping it, or just leave it as-is? I dont know where to find "Rescue tape", or clamps. If the RV is not in use, will the bubble burst? we're planning to fix it by replacing the hose when we get back..

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hosebubble.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	14443  
wackodacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If the hose isn't pressurised, the bubble is unlikely to burst. As long as you replace it before using the hydraulic system again you should be fine.

When I was in the hydraulics group at Boeing, we spent quite a lot of time looking into ways of getting rid of hoses, as they were a real maintenance issue on the 3000 psi airplane systems 25 years ago. We found one scheme where a stainless steel hydraulic tube was wound into what tooked like a big diaper pin. It had limited motion, so we didn't pursue it, just worked on getting better hoses. I think Douglas used the 'diaper pin" approach on the DC-10.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Murphy says that if you touch it it will burst. If you can get the pressure off of the hose now, it "should" be ok until you can get to it. OND
oldnotdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Oh no..how do unpressurize the hose? I believe this is for the slideout..our slides are currently out. We will pull it in today. Hopefully murphy doesn't rear his ugly head.

Yes, these hoses are a pain
wackodacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #5

Someone else will chime in, but, there should be a pressure release.. prolly close to the pump. Look in the manual. It should give you a way to release pressure and do a manual retraction.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I thought once the slides stop moving, the pump shuts down. The noise goes away on my rig when I let go the spring-loaded rocker switch.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #7

Yes.. but that doesn't mean the pressure is relieved..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

You have pressure holding the slides in as well as to move the slides out. Since the slides are currently out, I would try (with crossed fingers) to bring them in. I would not use them again until I had the hose replaced.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Do not move the slide until you fix the hose. Just sitting, there is minimal pressure in the line.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackodacko View Post
Oh no..how do unpressurize the hose? I believe this is for the slideout..our slides are currently out. We will pull it in today. Hopefully murphy doesn't rear his ugly head.

Yes, these hoses are a pain
it would help if you told us what kind of rv you have and what brand of slides it has. you can add this info to your signature block.
if you have hwh slides, there will be an extend and retract solenoid valve for each slide. at the end of the valve there will be either a 1/4'' nut or a ''t''
handle for releasing the pressure in the system. in either case, backing out the valve about 3 turns will release the pressure.
if one of my hoses looked like yours, i would depressurize the hose, hopefully deflating the bubble. then i would install a worm drive hose clamp around the line as a temporary repair before pressurizing the system again.
page mp34-9500 in the ops manual shows an illustration of the solenoid valve with the 1/4'' release valve.
you can call frank at hwh. if you use your initials as a reference number, he will get back to you sooner. hwh: 800-321-3494

http://www.hwh.com/ml40087.pdf
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote