Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2023, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hydraulic fluid reservoir/fill location 2008 Sightseer 34M

Sorry but I have an "ignorant" question. We want to check the hydraulic fluid on our Power Gear Leveling System on our 2008 Sightseer 34M. It appears the reservoir might be the large container with a lot of wires/etc coming from the top of it behind the driver's front tire near the leveling jack but we're not sure how to check the fluid level. There's a small piece on the upper side that comes out at an angle with a large bolt head on it. Do we take that off to check the fluid level?
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

A picture would be a big help but there should be a short dip stick somewhere near the hydraulic reservoir. The large bolt you are describing sounds like it might be it though. If you are not sure where it is have someone operate the jacks while you listen. It is hard to miss the sound of the hydraulic pump.
Old 05-16-2023, 02:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

No such thing as an ignorant question, we all have to learn.Fill should be located on top or side as you noted.Be sure all jacks are up before checking level. Also when in doubt ask Google. Google is your friend.
Our ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 10:10 PM   #4
Site Team

That sounds just like mine in the same location. That plastic hexhead cap doesn’t screw out. Rock it back and forth while pulling up. I use some pliers to get mine but be careful. Not too much squeezing with the pliers. Mine doesn’t come out easily and I had to replace one that over time was manhandled too much. They cost $45 plus $20 shipping you don’t want to ruin it.

You remove that cap to fill the ATF fluid only. There’s no dip stick. You look at the fluid level through the plastic tank. Full is at the very top. Note: only fill the tank with the jacks retracted.

Mind you… this is all true on my 2017 Adventurer with PowerGear leveling jacks. So it may not apply to yours.

The top of mine has the cap I mentioned and one other cap with wires coming out of the center of the cap. This second cap on my reservoir is a float switch. When the Jack are deployed the oil leaves the reservoir and when it does the float switch activates the jacks down alarm. When the Jacks retract the fluid returns and the float switch turns off the jacks down alarm.

Again, yours may be different.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We all learn a lot here so I’ll share my experience.
Have a 2010 journey express and my jacks would retract but the light and alarm would not go off after multiple extensions and retractions. Was able to get a Winnebago tech who told me the issue and where to access the reservoir- under an entry step, unlocking it and without a funnel carefully pouring till full then working the cap back on. One of our most aggravating problems solved - and hasn’t returned. Could not imagine driving the last 200 miles home with that pinging.

Good luck out there.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Maybe some help if you have a general idea of what to look for? There are lots of different models and somewhat different shapes but look for a "gallon milk jug" that looks like it has pink milk in it!
About eight inches square or larger with lots of rubbber hoses running around it, so not too much hiding it.
General location likely to be just behind the driver's side front wheel but you may have an access door or have to lay down to spot it?
Might be one of these?
[ATTACH][ATTACH]
Name:   lip3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  17.2 KB
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The image in this linked post looks just like ours. I hope the link works to display it.

I assume you check the fluid by removing the metal, not plastic, cap on the left side? We did remove it and there is no dip stick but the fluid appeared to be fluid as it came up to the bottom of the threads. Correct?

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
Old 05-22-2023, 10:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the correct idea. The plug and not the one with the wires!
Then it is not possible to put too much fluid in as it will just run out or squish out as you put the plug back. A good idea to have a rag wrapped/held under the plug as it will tend to run down your arm!
I'm not familiar with this exact model but the reason this gets kind of iffy is the way the levels are sensed.
The other plug looking item with the wires is likely to be the sensor for the fluid level, so you can see that there is not a lot of room for the fluid to be as totally full as you can get it and then when it drops just a small amount it is too low for the sensor!
The "jacks down" alarm comes on when we move fluid out of the reservoir, whether it is really becasue the jacks are down or because we don't have quite enough fluid.

So if there are any leaks around any fittings or on any of the jacks, it may not take many trips before the jacks down alarm starts staying on.
Some report that the alarm may come on when they corner or stop as the fluid moves around in the tank!
The truth is that hydraulic fluid is often under really, really high pressure and that extreme pressure tends to make it ooze out at every tiny little spot it can find.
Think of the big metal tube on the jacks and how dirty they can get when it rains or we put them down in sand, etc. When that tube gets sand or grit on it and we retract it, the sand grit goes up and passes some form of seal and can eat a tiny little track in the seal.
When we get enough of those tiny little leaks it lets enough fluid leak out and the alarm starts coming on to tell us the jacks are down, but the real cause is the fluid is not high enough to keep the sensor happy!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 11:31 AM   #9
Site Team

There are multiple types of tanks. From his description I think it’s like the image below. You remove the black plastic cap with out the wire on top and fill to the top of the tank with jacks already retracted.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2023, 08:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
There are multiple types of tanks. From his description I think it’s like the image below. You remove the black plastic cap with out the wire on top and fill to the top of the tank with jacks already retracted.
Thanks but ours doesn't look like this but rather like the link in comment #7.
Old 05-24-2023, 08:49 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysbabe View Post
Thanks but ours doesn't look like this but rather like the link in comment #7.
Good to know, thanks. I know PowerGear makes systems with either vertical tanks or horizontal tanks. Now I know the 2008 Sighteer has the vertical type.

I sure like that metal plug that you unscrew to fill the vertical tank over the plastic cap you have to wrestle out on the horizontal tank that I have.

Tags
cat, fluid, sightseer, hydraulic