Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

While doing my quarterly PMS, I was in the process of removing the cover from the outside of the waterheater when I noticed what appears to be hydraulic fluid. There was a small spot on the gravel and a few drops on the edge of the outside cover.
When I removed both covers I was able to pinpoint the drip point, but not the orgin. It was coming from the bottom left screw (while facing the waterheater) and nowhere else. I cannot for the life of me find where it is originating.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thank you and Happy New Years to all
Old 01-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

While doing my quarterly PMS, I was in the process of removing the cover from the outside of the waterheater when I noticed what appears to be hydraulic fluid. There was a small spot on the gravel and a few drops on the edge of the outside cover.
When I removed both covers I was able to pinpoint the drip point, but not the orgin. It was coming from the bottom left screw (while facing the waterheater) and nowhere else. I cannot for the life of me find where it is originating.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thank you and Happy New Years to all
Old 01-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hmmm - maybe antifreeze? Is your water heater also heated by the engine coolant?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Never gave antifreeze any thought and yes it is heated through engine coolant. Will give it the sniff test, however when rubbing it through my fingers, it does have a oil feeling.
Thank you.
Bob
Old 01-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Greyhound

Antifreeze normally does have a slick feeling. If it really is hydraulic fluid, I would guess you have a slideout on that side and a leaky hydraulic line. You don't mention what year your rig is, but HWH had some bad hoses about 2003. My leak was a bad fitting, which HWH provided free of charge even though they said I was not registered in their system for warranty coverage.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I went back out this morning and there was nothing but clear water. Previously it appeared to be hydraulic fluid, however, I put my finger in Antifreeze that had been mixed with water and did get the slick feeling.
Haven't winterized as we travel varying months of the year. We are in New Mexico washing clothes preparing for the next trip (tomorrow) to Indio. Not sure where it is coming from, but will watch it while it is under pressure.
Thanks for the responses.
I have a 2005 Adventurer, 38J. Next time I am in Iowa, I plan to go to HWH and have them do a complete check on the system. Did it on my 02 and did have to have all the hoses replaced also.
Thanks again,
Bob
Old 01-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Haven't winterized </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Standard radiator anti-freeze will be slick ...I don't think the RV antifreeze you winterize your rig with would be. 'Course, they are different colors too, and would smell different.