Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I just returned Friday from a trip to HWH for a minor leak on the slide connections at the pump. This was a second time for me. I took a 97 Adventure there for the same reason several years ago

HWH is customer & service oriented beyond belief unless someone has been there. Many on IRV2 have said the same thing many times.

My concern is this, that there is discussion on this site that Winnebago is phasing out HWH slides and Jacks on their new rigs. I am an avid supporter of Winnebago and would purchase another. I am also an avid supporter of HWH. I believe they go together like pie and ice cream. I would not purchase a another Winnebago M/H if it had anything else but HWH.

Are there others that feel like I do & if so how can we collectively make them aware of our feelings? I would appreciate your comments.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I just returned Friday from a trip to HWH for a minor leak on the slide connections at the pump. This was a second time for me. I took a 97 Adventure there for the same reason several years ago

HWH is customer & service oriented beyond belief unless someone has been there. Many on IRV2 have said the same thing many times.

My concern is this, that there is discussion on this site that Winnebago is phasing out HWH slides and Jacks on their new rigs. I am an avid supporter of Winnebago and would purchase another. I am also an avid supporter of HWH. I believe they go together like pie and ice cream. I would not purchase a another Winnebago M/H if it had anything else but HWH.

Are there others that feel like I do & if so how can we collectively make them aware of our feelings? I would appreciate your comments.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Don,
My feelings are exactly as yours. We have had such outstanding service from HWH that we would not consider another coach without them. I trust Winnebago managements stays attuned to this thread and will notice our concern. Whether or not that is enough to influence their decision is another matter. I have an appointment with HWH one week from tomorrow - will certainly discuss with them to attempt to learn details.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My concern is this, that there is discussion on this site that Winnebago is phasing out HWH slides and Jacks on their new rigs. I am an avid supporter of Winnebago and would purchase another. I am also an avid supporter of HWH. I believe they go together like pie and ice cream. I would not purchase a another Winnebago M/H if it had anything else but HWH.

Are there others that feel like I do & if so how can we collectively make them aware of our feelings? I would appreciate your comments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I belive Winni is making a mistake changing with future producs.

HWH has a good product and great customer service to adjust for mishaps.

Along with the fact that Winnebago is dropping the side mounted radiator on the diesel pushers are enough reasons that I am sorry to say that I probably own my last Winnebago product.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Maybe Winnebago is tired of the mishaps. As are many of us.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bobpie:
Maybe Winnebago is tired of the mishaps. As are many of us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe the mishaps are happening at Moscow IMHO

Don
Old 08-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I think there were some line problems in the past. Also some cyl problems. But all corrected by HWH. A excelleent company that if HWH was not on the coach. I will look at a different coach.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Me 3... as Newmar is looking at electric jacks from what I heard.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Me 4

HWH has always been responsive and responsible. Listen up, Winny!!!!!!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

In the 2 1/2 years I have owned my 2004 Horizon, HWH has replaced every jack and spring, a leveling control box and a synch cylinder for the slides. Am I upset, NO. Their customer service is superb. When the leveling control box had problems recently, the HWH customer affairs manager met me in Colorado Springs since he happened to be vacationing in Colorado. On a Sunday, he worked on my coach until he determined the control panel had a bad relay. A new control box was ordered and installed at a local Winnie dealer. Best Customer Service I have experienced with my coach.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I had an occassion to call HWH and got information from a Tech who was very friendly and willing to help with my problem. He called me back a few times aftter the intitial call to be sure my problem had been resolved.
Great customer service.

2004 Adventurer 33' W20 03Chassis, 4 Koni's, Ultrapower/Taylor Wires
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My experience with HWH has been pretty much the inverse of everyone else. On the plus side, we've had little issue with our jacks or slide outs over the past 5 years. But my contact with HWH customer support has been less than stellar.

When new, we had a routine service at the dealer early in our Ultimates life where they applied a HWH recall on lines and connectors. The 'bad' lines were supposedly removed and replaced.

Twice after that (over a 3 year period) I tried to get a repair of a leaky slide cylinder and a leaky hose connection. Both times, their response was 'take it to an authorized HWH dealer and they would work with the dealer to fix the issue." The only authorized dealer near me has a 'if you didn't buy it here, we don't service your rig until we're totally out of other work' policy. In fairness to HWH, they use authorized dealers just like everyone else, but at the time we were living in our coach and couldn't afford to let someone keep it for 3-4 months.

I ended up taking it to a specialty truck hydraulics shop who said they would work with HWH. I called HWH (very pleasant conversation) and connected a person there with a person at the shop. HWH said if this was a hose/connection from the recall, they would cover the replacement. The shop exchanged hose part numbers with HWH and HWH determined that the hose was not one of those recalled and declined repair as it was out of warranty. A follow up call to HWH was pleasant, but not very informative. I was told that the hose pulled from the coach was not on the list of recalled hose numbers and would not be covered. I asked for the identification information on the hose that was replaced and they said they didn't recognize the hose number, as it wasn't in their listing. Ok, I said, can you tell me what numbers were used as recall replacements back in 2003? No was the answer. So I was stuck.

All of this is perfectly legitimate and no complaints from me. As I said, I was out of warranty.

BUT the number of people on this and other boards who have been out of warranty who have had their issue resolved by HWH seems to be quite large. And everyone raves about their customer service.

Well, there's one person who is not raving about their customer service. This experience for us has been strictly business. No better, no worse.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Changing out HWH for another vendor would be a gross mistake on Winnie's part. I am not saying there are not good substitutes out there. However HWH was exemplary in their willingness to service their product and work with the customer endlessly until he was satisfied. I for one, would find it a deal breaker.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:01 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

A mfg. is only as good as it's supplier of parts. I would hate to see Winn. drop HWH and go with someone like Mil. Power gear.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

What system is Winnebago going to use to replace HWH products? What other MoHo brands use the new product?

Nick, Journey '01
Old 08-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by traveler of california:
What system is Winnebago going to use to replace HWH products? What other MoHo brands use the new product?

Nick, Journey '01 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rumor has it they are making a switch to Power Gear at least on some units.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle...like ua40j my exposure to HWH has been by phone only and they have been courteous and generally helpful. However, time elapsed between call backs from them was days, not hours. I guess if I was stranded on the road somewhere, they would call back more quickly. It is my impression from reading on this forum and from talking with others at the recent IRV2 rally that their factory service is outstanding. My own indpendent RV mechanic says HWH is no better or worse than other manfacturers he has to deal with.

Just from looking at the parts/pieces of the hydraulic system on my rig, it does seem a bit flimsy or undersized for the intended job. When I recently replaced my leaking hose, the local guy who made up the new hose commented that the OEM was not really 'good stuff.' However, I guess HWH provides what the coach manufacturer specs.

Since I have no knowledge or experience with the other manufacturers of jacks/slide mechanisms, can't comment on how I would feel if Winne selected another vendor.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

IMO, HWH products are not up to Winnebago quality and should not be associated with the best name in Motorhomes.

My personal experience on my Adventurer is they are poorly designed and cheaply made. This maybe why they seem prone to leaks and failures. This is also evidenced by the number of posters that write here and on other forums about their need for HWH repairs. No wonder their service department is good; lots of practice!

I hope Winnie goes with Quadra Big Foot. I had two of their systems are they were so well made I don't know if they even have a service department.
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Six months after purchasing our 2004 Journey last September (It was manufactured Dec 2003) which made it 3 years 3 months old at the time our bedroom slide HWH hydraulic ram failed. As we were out of warranty the repair cost was $639. So in 39 months how many times has the bedroom hydraulic slide been used? If the slide was cycled 156 times I am thinking that would be a lot. Having worked a short stint with a road builder I have been exposed to industrial hydraulics. Road building equipment can not afford to have down time and it's designed accordingly. My impression is that HWH equipment should be stronger. I like the hydraulic design just not impressed with expensive pre-mature equipment failure. Hopefully Winnebago will retain the hydraulic design but improve the equipment quality.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

If my last HWH jackset is any example, I'll be a really happy camper with the current set.

Installed them on an '85 Pace in 1989, no re-cal, no leaks, no service of any kind, same oil. And they're still running just fine thank you.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote