Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry HWH systems will not operate

I have a 2006 Itasca 36RD 4 slides in the past have had some intermittent trouble with slides not operating but always would eventually work.

Now Slides will not extend; I can hear a click in the solenoid under step when I actuate the retract/extend switch but no movement. examined all wires and connections.

Also the jacks won't go down either; (I have auto level) the control pad has the travel light it won't dump the air either.

Basically all HWH systems are not functioning. I believe I checked all the fuses (at last the ones I know about) I can hear a solenoid or actuator sound when I try to level but nothing else happens.

Is there an advanced troubleshooting guide for the control board that has description and status for the LED's? all 4 led's are red on control board when I turn the power on. (my control board is in front of the HWH pumps facing front of coach with clear plastic cover)

Any guidance or a troubleshooting direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
nextcom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you go to Quick Tips & Mods in Newmar forum we have many links for HWH Systems.
There are links for jacks & slides.
Have you checked the fluid level in your oil reservoir?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had jack and slide problems on my recent trip out west. Give HWH a call, they have great technical help. If youcan detail the issue they can usually help.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

sorta same problem, except jacks wont go down since we replaced isolator on engine battery and replaced engine battery. did we disconnect something and not hook it back up?
rozrob2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem in the past. Pump motor would not activate, all you get is a click. My problem was a broken wire inside one of the solenoids mounted on the back of the pump motor. With the help of an HWH Tech, key in ACC, DW pressing on one of the manual jack down switches on the control panel, I grounded out every terminal on both solenoids til I hit the one that completed the ground circuit and the pump motor came to life. I replaced the bad solenoid and fixed the problem. The HWH trouble shooting guide, available for download from their web site, and the led's on the control panel will pretty well isolate the problem for you. In that era, the pump relay and motor relay HWH was using were prone to internal corossion problems. The Trombetta replacement is a much more reliable product.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Arv
Winnebago Camper

I have experienced the same problems twice and it was a defective shuttle valve. I have a 06 Vectra and would have the system as yours.

2006 Vectra 40FD
Arv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Shuttle valve was my problem. Motor would run but it was not under a load. Happened when bedroom slide was half way being extended. Examination of old shuttle valve indicated internal failure. Reviewing the whole scenario with local HWH trained mechanic indicated the shuttle valve failure rate wasn't worth carrying and extra around but it sure is inconvenient when one is stuck with extended slides. To top off the experience I learned that the manual retraction system on one side had been ruined inadvertently by one of my kids who used the rig for a summer. I still haven’t got that fixed but rigged a work around.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Does the shuttle valve control the operation of the slides and the jacks and dumping air? doesn't seem logical to me??

I thought the shuttle valve was for the 4 slide solenoids?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The HWH trouble shooting guides lead me to one of two options, either the pump pressure was low or the shuttle valve had failed. Either one can take out all hydraulic functions, (jacks and slides). I called HWH and they thought it might very well be the shuttle valve when I described how the motor sounded. I don’t know anything concerning how “air” is associated with hydraulics or if the systems are intertwined somehow.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ok Paul thanks; I will let everyone know what it turns out to be;
Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

If the solenoid/valves are the cause then I've had experience with replacing three of them. Originally they had no screens on them to keep out contaminants like rust that will in time develop in the system. The replacements do.

I had trouble after the machine had set and I needed to retract the jacks on a very cold day. The oil was also probably low based on how much it took to bring it up level. So my guess is there was significant moisture and/or ick in the oil pulled up from the reservoir when I put them down the next time. This resulted ultimately in one jack coming down part way in the middle of Atlanta as the valve failed. Our springs have not been upgraded yet so they are a little wimpy and could not overcome the leakage into the piston. That was fun...!

It's relatively easy replace these but the dog gone things are over $100 a piece so replace them when you need them.
bandirector is offline   Reply With Quote