Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

HWH slideout intermittent failure

2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T with HWH slideouts. On occasion the rear (passenger side) slideout will not respond to the switch, can occur for both extension and retraction. It will eventually respond after I have toggled the switch several times, deployed/retracted the slide lock, or operated the front slide, but not sure if any of these were the solution. Any ideas? Thanks!
scooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have you checked for a loose connection anywhere in the electrical circuit, or a poor or loose ground?
I've read that over 90% of all 12V problems are the result of a poor or missing ground, from personal experience I believe that is true.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a similar problem on occasion. Sometimes if I command the jacks down at the same time as the slide out, it will get a response and then work properly for a while. Loose ground is what I think also.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchflicke View Post
I have a similar problem on occasion. Sometimes if I command the jacks down at the same time as the slide out, it will get a response and then work properly for a while. Loose ground is what I think also.
Trying to put the slide out the same time you are putting the jacks down is a sure way to damage the shuttle valve in your HWH system. Dont ask how I know. Perhaps, you shuttle valve is sticking, and what you are doing unsticks it.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

low voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter21 View Post
2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T with HWH slideouts. On occasion the rear (passenger side) slideout will not respond to the switch, can occur for both extension and retraction. It will eventually respond after I have toggled the switch several times, deployed/retracted the slide lock, or operated the front slide, but not sure if any of these were the solution. Any ideas? Thanks!
The Hwh pump likes 12.5 volts.
Running the engine increases voltage.
Energizing the start boost switch will a!so raise voltage if all the batteries are good.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I agree with Ray (post 2), I'd sure look for a loose or corroded connection.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

the switches that winnebago used during this time were junk. its not a hwh switch.
i carry a couple of them with me all the time. of course i use my coach a lot, so i understand some of it.
check the back of the switch. one side of the tabs run the pump motor, the other side
run the solenoids. both have to function for the room to move either way.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have also experienced the switch not always making good contact when pressed. Also sometimes one of the relays for the pump motor may not be making a good connection. You may begin to determine what's going on by monitoring things out at the pump while another person operates the switch inside.
Clay Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Any hints on how to remove the switch without breaking it? I think that's where I'll start my investigation.
scooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Scooter21,
The ground on my Hwh pump electric motor was a worm drive hose type clamp around PAINTED motor. I established a better ground with a #10 wire to a grounding lug.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, slide, slideout