Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
2000 Adventurer 35U

HWH Project Advice

Looking for info before I jump on this project. I was told to remove a cylinder on my2000 adventurer and send to hwh for rebuild. How difficult is this undertaking? Do I need a mechanic or is it a dyi? TIA
mbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Team

I think it depends on how they mount. Mine are just bolted to the chassis so I would think I could get them out easily. I'd have more of an issue getting the return spring on and off It's a pretty beefy spring that I'm not sure how I'd work with.
I'll be curious to see the answer of someone that's done this.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
2000 Adventurer 35U

So far i found out the spring should be extended then wood shims placed in the spread spring, once pressure is released the spring should stay in the extended position allowing removal of springs.
mbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbruce View Post
So far i found out the spring should be extended then wood shims placed in the spread spring, once pressure is released the spring should stay in the extended position allowing removal of springs.

That sounds like it will work. I figured it has to be someting like that. Not the easiest thing to deal with I'd think...
Old 02-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Whether this is a DIY or not depends on how well setup you are. One is the tools of course and it will take some pretty hefty ones to get the bolts loose and it may not be a handy place to get to them, so I would want to slide under there and take a look at what's up and what tools I had. Second is how you are set for the hard work of lifting and holding the leg while fitting the bolts. If there is not a lift on hand, keep in mind how hard it is to lift a heavy item like that and hold. Can you see fitting some sort of support or is there any chance of one person lifting/ holding while another get the bolts in? I might look up the weight of each cylinder before saying yay or nay. I do know that I can't hold things very well when laying on my back ! Propping, support or jacks, maybe but it will take some thought.
For my age, condition, and willingness, I would go for the pro on this one. I can get more money but it's hard to get a new finger.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It is a very easy job. Extend the Jack and put clothes pins or similar in The springs. Unhook The wires and hose fitting. The ingenious mount requires two bolts to be removed which allows it to pivot out of the way. I get my parts from Stuart's HWH Service in Elkhart, IN. 1-800-826-6267
They are usually easier to reach and are very good to deal with.
Dave
Davel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, advice