Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH Leveling Jacks and slides Control Box?

Troubleshooting and need help identifying control box location?

I checked for other threads about this problem, there are so many, but could not find one with the same exact issue, so I thought I would ask.

Pull in to campground Friday and when we went to put the jacks down they started and quit after just a half a minute, heard it sound like the motor was really straining. We retracted and tried again and this time, nothing happened, just a clicking sound like a starter solenoid on an old car with a low battery.

Luckily we were in a level spot so we decided to not let it ruin our weekend ad started to put the slides out, no luck, same symptoms. I did manage to get the bedroom slide out by helping it, but did not try to hard on the dinning room slide.

Got out the HWH manual and it lists several things that can go bad, the easiest was a bad ground ( checked that first, all good ) so next I visually checked all the connections and now want to look at the control box and can use some help finding it.

Thanks in advance.
rbradd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I previously had a 2010 Tour. The HWH control box was facing forward on a horizontal surface just inboard of the right front tire. The motor and hydraulic fluid container were basically inboard of the steps that lead into the coach.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had something similar happen. It turned out to be a failed motor. You can check that with a 12V tester. If there is power to the main post on the pump motor when you hit the switch to move a slide in or out it would indicate a bad motor. Good luck with your problem. When you determine what problem is post your report in this thread. We all learn from each other.

Thanks;
Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbradd View Post
Troubleshooting and need help identifying control box location?

I checked for other threads about this problem, there are so many, but could not find one with the same exact issue, so I thought I would ask.

Pull in to campground Friday and when we went to put the jacks down they started and quit after just a half a minute, heard it sound like the motor was really straining. We retracted and tried again and this time, nothing happened, just a clicking sound like a starter solenoid on an old car with a low battery.

Luckily we were in a level spot so we decided to not let it ruin our weekend ad started to put the slides out, no luck, same symptoms. I did manage to get the bedroom slide out by helping it, but did not try to hard on the dinning room slide.

Got out the HWH manual and it lists several things that can go bad, the easiest was a bad ground ( checked that first, all good ) so next I visually checked all the connections and now want to look at the control box and can use some help finding it.

Thanks in advance.
See if anything in here helps: http://www.hwh.com/ml33832.pdf
Old 03-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Rbradd.
It would be very helpful if you told in you post the make & model of your coach. The location on my Adventure is on the front left behind the front left wheel. A compartment door is required to be open to see the box & when I open the left slide there is full access to the HWH box, motors & Solenoids.
No idea what model & location for you without more info. Good luck.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Rbradd.
It would be very helpful if you told in you post the make & model of your coach. The location on my Adventure is on the front left behind the front left wheel. A compartment door is required to be open to see the box & when I open the left slide there is full access to the HWH box, motors & Solenoids.
No idea what model & location for you without more info. Good luck.
Thanks for pointing out that I never finished my signature, I never noticed and assumed everyone knew, Mi Bad.

I have a 2001 Winnebago Journey 32t DP, I appreciate the feedback and will keep up with this thread until it is resolved. It's raining so it is hard to get motivated to troubleshoot today, plus work keeps getting in the way of my fun.

I have an appt Friday to get the diagnostics done, but so far I have narrowed the problem down to a bad pump or pump motor. It is no longer manufactured ( of course) but I did find one online and am waiting to pull the trigger until I am sure that is what the problem is. $499.00 plus tax and shipping, so I want to be sure.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me, it is appreciated.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out that I never finished my signature, I never noticed and assumed everyone knew, Mi Bad.

I have a 2001 Winnebago Journey 32t DP, I appreciate the feedback and will keep up with this thread until it is resolved. It's raining so it is hard to get motivated to troubleshoot today, plus work keeps getting in the way of my fun.

I have an appt Friday to get the diagnostics done, but so far I have narrowed the problem down to a bad pump or pump motor. It is no longer manufactured ( of course) but I did find one online and am waiting to pull the trigger until I am sure that is what the problem is. $499.00 plus tax and shipping, so I want to be sure.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me, it is appreciated.
OK. Good to know. For me I have had two failures of my HWH system. Both covered by warranty when new. Both caused my slides to move out while traveling! Oops not good, my slide locks caught the movement an held the slides! Always use the locks. Anyway the first was a solenoid pump just blew out right on top of the control unit. The second was a high pressure hydraulic hose blew apart. The hose is like 30 feet long, to equalize pressure in the system. Wow never knew. Have had no issues since. Let us know how this works out for you.

Good luck.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Who told you HWH Pumps and motors are no longer manufactured? I have a hard time believing that. I have been to their plant several times at Moscow, IA. They are alive and well. If you heard that from someone who is uninformed give, HWH a call at 800-321-3494 and ask if you can order parts from them for your system. I have HWH jacks and slides in my coach. I received some O-rings for my pump check valves on top of my pump. a year or so ago. I talked with Paul the owner in their booth at a FMCA Rally a couple of years ago.

I was Rally Master for our WISWIT State Rally last July and they sent me a case of their rocking calendars to give to our Rally Attendees.

If you find they no longer have parts available for their HWH systems please PM me. I do not want to post false information.

Thanks;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Who told you HWH Pumps and motors are no longer manufactured? I have a hard time believing that. I have been to their plant several times at Moscow, IA. They are alive and well. If you heard that from someone who is uninformed give, HWH a call at 800-321-3494 and ask if you can order parts from them for your system. I have HWH jacks and slides in my coach. I received some O-rings for my pump check valves on top of my pump. a year or so ago. I talked with Paul the owner in their booth at a FMCA Rally a couple of years ago.

I was Rally Master for our WISWIT State Rally last July and they sent me a case of their rocking calendars to give to our Rally Attendees.

If you find they no longer have parts available for their HWH systems please PM me. I do not want to post false information.

Thanks;

Don
Hey Don,
HWH does not make the pump for my particular unit anymore, AP2260 is obsolete I guess. The have another pump/motor for a later model they recommend but from what I have learned researching these forums, there is quite a bit of fabrication needed to retrofit them, more than I want to try anyway.

Thanks for you the feedback, I should have been more specific when I said they did not make the product anymore, I only meant for my unit.
Rick
Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
Former Winnebago Owner

I don't see any mention of checking hydraulic fluid level. The leveling and slide systems have separate motors but do share a common fluid reservoir. If the fluid level is low it could cause the symptoms described. Sounds like both motors are working but not enough fluid to develop usable hydraulic pressure.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
Former Winnebago Owner

Forgot to mention: on our 2002 Horizon 32TD the HWH pumps, valves, and reservoir were located just forward of the wet bay, accessible via the rear door on the lounge slide cargo compartment.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

On my coach the control box is located on the firewall in front of the steering column, it is a silver box held in place with a velcro strap
for parts and information contact: Stuart Services (Chuck)
Have the "AP" number from the top of the pump tank and he can tell what system and parts you will need.They are Certified HWH installers.
800-826-6267They are located in Elkart, IN and I have ordered parts from them for my system
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hey Don,
HWH does not make the pump for my particular unit anymore, AP2260 is obsolete I guess. The have another pump/motor for a later model they recommend but from what I have learned researching these forums, there is quite a bit of fabrication needed to retrofit them, more than I want to try anyway.

Thanks for you the feedback, I should have been more specific when I said they did not make the product anymore, I only meant for my unit.
Rick
Rick, I read on one of these HWH threads that some folks have found a plow motor that will do the job. You might consider taking your motor to NAPA or some other good auto parts store.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have a 02 32T Journey. You have received some good advice so far.

The first thing I would do is check oil level with jacks up and slides in.

Check to see if power to motor is present when the slide or jack switch is activated.. If not, check ground on motor. I believe the strap that holds the solenoid around the motor also acts as ground. If voltage is present and the motor won't run the chances are the motor is bad.

If you have a company near you that rebuilds alternators/starters they may be able to rebuild your motor. If not check internet as these pumps are also used in snowplow applications. I did buy mine from HWH several years ago.

On my coach has the control box is attached to the firewall with velcro inside the coach next to where the steering post goes through the floor. You have to get on the floor with flashlight to see it and unplug it. If memory serves me it has a fuse attached so check it. You can send the control back to HWH for checking and repairing. They will only charge you for what they replace. You may also want to send the keypad for HWH to check.

This, along with previous posts may help you locate and repair your problem.

Good luck.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

HVH Jacks and Slide

Just went thru the same problem on the way back to Michigan from Yuma AZ. I was lucky to be near Elkhart IN so we called Stuarts Service the only independent HVH service center they only work on HVH products for the last 35 yrs.
Stuck selanoid (sp) I over worked it and blew the control box. It was under the extended warranty so I paid $150.00 deductible
Chuck was very helpful on the phone if I did not over work the selanoid it would have been a easy fix and only about $300.00
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
I have a 02 32T Journey. You have received some good advice so far.

The first thing I would do is check oil level with jacks up and slides in.

Check to see if power to motor is present when the slide or jack switch is activated.. If not, check ground on motor. I believe the strap that holds the solenoid around the motor also acts as ground. If voltage is present and the motor won't run the chances are the motor is bad.

If you have a company near you that rebuilds alternators/starters they may be able to rebuild your motor. If not check internet as these pumps are also used in snowplow applications. I did buy mine from HWH several years ago.

On my coach has the control box is attached to the firewall with velcro inside the coach next to where the steering post goes through the floor. You have to get on the floor with flashlight to see it and unplug it. If memory serves me it has a fuse attached so check it. You can send the control back to HWH for checking and repairing. They will only charge you for what they replace. You may also want to send the keypad for HWH to check.

This, along with previous posts may help you locate and repair your problem.

Good luck.
Hey Charlie, Hey MHBluept,

Thanks for the advice, good info and I appreciate the feedback, I am learning this coach slowly but surely.

And it is good to know you both have the same or similar year and model RV, now I know who to pester for advice (just kidding ). This whole forum has been awesome and I definitely have learned from everyone, so thanks again everyone who responded or read my post, hope I can pay it forward soon.

I am hoping to break away this afternoon and go over and check it out, I am anxious to get this resolved. If it is a simple fix, like just low fluids that would be really awesome. I did not check the fluid level in the reservoir on the pump, I checked the hydraulic fluid at the engine bay, I had assumed that was where the slides and jacks were supplied from.

Seems obvious now to check the pump reservoir level, I had eliminated that as a problem in my mind early on, so I will start from scratch.

Again to everyone on this and all the other threads that I have learned from, thank you.

Rick
Old 03-24-2017, 05:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

FYI. A great place to get HWH parts with a great inventory and customer service is Stuarts. I have bought from them several times. I get quicker service from them than HWH. Just got a small solenoid valve for my jacks from them a few weeks ago.

HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services

They really know HWH and will help with troubleshooting advise.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
FYI. A great place to get HWH parts with a great inventory and customer service is Stuarts. I have bought from them several times. I get quicker service from them than HWH. Just got a small solenoid valve for my jacks from them a few weeks ago.

HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services

They really know HWH and will help with troubleshooting advise.
Thank you, that is the second post recommending Stuarts, so they must be good.

I got over to the coach briefly today, only had a little while to look at it. Fluid level is perfect, one inch below the top, exactly what the manual recommends. I also put power directly to the pump motor and it ran for a few seconds and then stopped again, but only one time. Would not even try again after the first attempt.

I may have this wrong, but my feeling was the motor sounded like you would expect a motor to sound like when it reached its limit switch. Like when you are putting the slide in and you held the button for a few extra seconds? If that makes any sense. A sound like it was slowing down due to a load.

Like I said, probably just my sense and not the actual symptom. I think the motor is bad, and I am leery of taking the motor and pump apart since I am unfamiliar with the hydraulics, would probably make a mess and still have to have a professional sweep up after me.

I was unable to get to the shop today due to work, so will try again next week, they have an opening on Thursday. Hate to miss a day of work but .....

Thanks again all!
Rick
Old 03-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thank you, that is the second post recommending Stuarts, so they must be good.

I got over to the coach briefly today, only had a little while to look at it. Fluid level is perfect, one inch below the top, exactly what the manual recommends. I also put power directly to the pump motor and it ran for a few seconds and then stopped again, but only one time. Would not even try again after the first attempt.

I may have this wrong, but my feeling was the motor sounded like you would expect a motor to sound like when it reached its limit switch. Like when you are putting the slide in and you held the button for a few extra seconds? If that makes any sense. A sound like it was slowing down due to a load.

Like I said, probably just my sense and not the actual symptom. I think the motor is bad, and I am leery of taking the motor and pump apart since I am unfamiliar with the hydraulics, would probably make a mess and still have to have a professional sweep up after me.

I was unable to get to the shop today due to work, so will try again next week, they have an opening on Thursday. Hate to miss a day of work but .....

Thanks again all!
Rick
Rick:
Try running the coach to get a higher voltage to the pump. You may have weak batteries. If it still fails you can remove it without a mess as the hydraulics are sealed from the motor. The motor can be removed by removing the 2 small bolts at the end of the motor. If seals are good no oil will come out. The motor drives the hydraulics with a slot at the end of the shaft. It will come straight out after removing the 2 small bolts.

Good luck
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

latest update

I was able to get the RV into the shop this morning for a diagnosis, they confirmed that it is the pump/motor that was the problem. However they can not do the work as they are really backed up, kind of did me a favor by even getting it into look at.

I have not reached out to Stuarts Service yet, but I had found this unit online:

HWH Tank/Motor/Pump assembly WITHOUT Solenoids: nwrvsupply.com

How messy/complicated is it to replace this? I am reasonably mechanically inclined but have never worked with hydraulics before. I would hate to have to have it redone. And I worry about spilling fluids etc or contaminating it.

There are two shops other locally and they are both backed up for better than a month plus with work. So, is this a DIY project or is it a wait and have a professional do it project? That is what I have to decide, so any feedback from you mechanics would be appreciated.

As always, thanks in advance.

Tags
hwh, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, slide