Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

HWH Jacks slow to react

Hi All,

I’ve had this issue since 04 when the coach was new. When I try to extend the jacks, the pump may run at high speed for anywhere from a split second to several seconds before the jacks actually start to extend. When I try to level the coach and two of the jacks are already extended (Left, Right, Front or Rear), say the left. When the extend button is pressed the jacks will actually retract until there is usually no load from the coach on them before they will extend again.

The slides, both front and rear, do the same thing whether I’m extending or retracting them. They may move several inches then slow to a stop or not for anywhere from a split second to several seconds before they start to move again.

I have overhauled the best I can the Shuttle Valve and it seems to have made no difference. The problem is worse in cold temperatures. Since it happens with both the slides and all jack combinations, I think I can rule out Velocity Valves.

Why is he now worried about this minor problem? Well, now I have the time to deal with it. Disability and the cold weather does that to you. Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

For the jacks, HWH recommends squirting a little WD40 on the cylinders (not silicone or other oils). It cleans the cylinders and keeps the seals lubricated. I do it a few times a year, and it seems to help retracting the jacks.

If this doesn't work, then there are other issues which will need attention. A good RV shop should be able to diagnose and repair.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Mark,
Have you talked to HWH?? Or, Paul Smith at 3-T's?? I am sure they have run into this problem before. Do you go to GNR? I would stop by HWH in Moscow. If not, go to 3-T's in Lake Havasue. Maybe somebody else is experiencing the same thing? Keep up posted on this.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi Pusherman,

I was once told by HWH tech support to use plain old Vaseline on the jacks to keep them lubricated and to allow them to retract properly. Works great and have had no problems with retraction (save new springs). My problem is with extension.

Hi dengraham,

No, no, and no. Lots of research on line though. That’s why I disassembled the ‘Shuttle Valve’ thinking that may be the problem area. It did seem to be a little sticky and there was a piece of dried red stuff inside it and there was a brass piece that was not concentric. So I mounted the innards to my Moto-Tool and started polishing. Thought that would clear up the problem but it didn’t.

I may call HWH tomorrow, but I haven’t heard very good things about their tech support lately. If I seem to be getting the runaround, I might call Paul at 3-T’s. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just got back from checking on my rv in storage and actually needed to start the engine to pull it out of the rv storage bay. My stupid jacks down light and warning buzzer came on and would not go off like a jack was down. The light showed it was the passenger rear so I left the key on acc mode (to shut the noise off) for awhile and it never went all the way to shut off. I have not used the jacks in a month and only thing different is the outside temps have warmed up considerably the last few days....would that have an effect on the jack extending on its own?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hello JoneseR,

Warmer temperatures cause the hydraulic fluid to expand which will make the jacks extend just enough to cause them to show down instead of up (depending ho how long the lines are). Not having used them for a month could cause the extension part of the jack to stick causing it to not retract. When and if this happens, I usually extend the jacks all the way and let the pump build up pressure for a second or two. This lubricates the outside of the shaft and usually allows them to retract just fine. If for some reason they fail to retract at that time, I have to crawl under the RV and smear Vaseline on the extended Jack.

This expansion effect is explained in this .PDF from HWH.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/HydraulicsandHWHSystems.pdf
Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you sir for the reading material...I have a lot to learn on them. Going to go camping this weekend, so I get to do a little leveling practice.

I will go out to the storage lot tomorrow and check that jack again. gonna try to run them out and back up again. Got some Vaseline too just in case.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Transistor- Do you have the clear lexan over motherboard version of the HWH brain? If so there are 6 relays on the motherboard across the top, one for each jack & two cor crossover connections to give front, rear, left & right jack pairs acting in concert. Occasionally one or more relays can be intermittent. This would explain a delay on jacks. I have spare relays if you are looking for them.

Not sure how or if the slide actuation is tied into the motherboard. I've looked at it & there isn't any reason for any intertie, but there are LED's that light on my motherboard when slides are actuated. IIWMI'd have had the slides activate the pump relay & the applicable slide solenoid valve, voila! But I think HWH as a default runs some part of signal thru the Deutsch plugs on the back of the motherboard.
Earlier brain designs were contained inside an aluminum project box, and I've never opened those up.

I also have a custom tool for installing/removing slide solenoid valves w/the two hole cap (not applicable to the larger jack solenoids), and a plug that fits jack or slide solenoid valve holes to limit fluid leak down & the mess it makes (allows time to bench test solenoid valves & reset the needle valve if needed).
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hi EnginereMike,

Been a while since I stuck my head under there but I do believe it has a Plexiglas cover held in place with a rubber seal.

Occasionally the pump goes really fast just as you let off the switch. Not sure if this is part of the symptoms of defective relays or not. This problem of brief high speed ‘run after’ occurs with both the jacks and the slides if that helps. It’s acting like there is an intermittent timing problem between dropping power to the pump versus dropping the solenoid valve.

There are times when I wish I could have individual control of the four corners. I just haven’t made my bypass box I designed many years ago yet!

Tags
hwh, jacks