Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question HWH Jacks Non-Op

Here’s the scenario. I was traveling in a real nasty storm, 60-70 mph gusts, freezing rain (sideways), hailing, and snow. All of sudden, the rear camera (Sony) no longer works. I assume it’s a moisture problem.

I get home, park the coach and chock the camera up to a total loss (second time due to water/moisture.) Today I get ready to hit the road again so I have to level the coach to start the refrigerator (need cold beer.) I turn on the ignition key, hit the button for the jacks and……..nothing, no power. Everything else in the coach works. Dash lights, instruments, etc.

I immediately called Winnebago to ask where the fuse for the jack panel is located. The service guy said it was in the front of the coach in the motor bay. It’s an approximately 7”x10” circuit panel covered by a clear plastic (?) cover with a rubber seal around the perimeter. I tried to remove the cover to look for a fuse but lying on my back and with arthritis in my neck it was a no-go.

Has anyone had a problem of this sort and if so, what was the solution?

Dan
Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Do you have a gasser? If so, your E-brake has to be set. Could this be the problem? There is a limit switch that makes contact when the E-brake is on. If this limit switch is not making contact then the HWH will not work.

I won't tell you how long it took me to figure this out.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Call HWH and they will help you diagnose, including which lights to look for in that plastic box you are referring to.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Do you have a gasser? If so, your E-brake has to be set. Could this be the problem? There is a limit switch that makes contact when the E-brake is on. If this limit switch is not making contact then the HWH will not work.

Yes - it's a gasser. 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 33V (Workhorse). Where may I ask is the limit switch located? I presume on the brake lever/arm somewhere?

Dan
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

And there are fuses in the plastic box!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post

I had the same problem, easy to diagnose. The park brake indicator light on the dash would not come on when the park brake was set. The switch was nearly impossible to reach up on top of the park brake lever assembly. Cleaned it with WD40 and has been working fine ever sense.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
And there are fuses in the plastic box!

Do you mind elaborating on which plastic box and its location?

Dan
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Brake Set

Like Wanabee stated, there is a small light on the HWH control box. The light is either green or red and right under the light it should say "Brake Set". This light must be on for the HWH to energize.

The limit switch for this light is located on the E-Brake arm up and under the dash. Might need a flashlight and have to lay on your back to find it. Easy fix when you find it.

Sorry for the lack of information it has been a few years. I have a diesel now with air brakes and I do not have to worry about the brake set.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The brake switch is a-ok so it's off to the dealer (stealer.)

With gas approaching $5/gal.
in So. Kali we can't afford to anywhere anyways

We road the Harley to Death Valley last weekend and the gas there was $5.67/gal. It's swiftly approaching $6./gal.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsr71 View Post
Do you mind elaborating on which plastic box and its location?

Dan
On my WH chassis, there are two boxes with plexiglass covers. One is for the battery/BiRD solinoids and connectors. The other is for the HWH controls for the hyd. solinoids on the HWH pump and tank. As this discussion is about the HWH jacks, and associated problems, my reply was in reference the HWH box. (Unless you open the cover off the box and look closer, it is not apparant that there are fuses inside the box). I had to get inside the box to troubleshoot what turned out to be a blown coil on one of the solinoids. Where it is was determined by the coach builder, so me telling you where it is on my Newmar would not help you. It is probably common to the HWH systems, regardless of coach builders, and is probably close to the pump-tank-solinoid assembly. (it is probably the box you were already looking at, on my Newmar, it is accessable from the hood, w/o getting underneath, but that is also a bad location because it probably blocks airflow to the radiator)
Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up Jack Problem Solved!

This is embarrassing

I had pulled every fuse under the lift-up dash on the left side and all looked good. Well - the service tech did the same and found a 15 amp fuse blown

The fuse location on the panel is not labeled for:

• Left window
  • Radio
  • Backup camera
  • Jack control panel
All on a 15 amp fuse

Now, I wonder what caused it to blow in the first place

On a side note; my insurance company (Progressive) paid for the diagnosis and fuse replacement. Can't go wrong with that
Old 04-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsr71 View Post
This is embarrassing

I had pulled every fuse under the lift-up dash on the left side and all looked good. Well - the service tech did the same and found a 15 amp fuse blown

The fuse location on the panel is not labeled for:
  • Left window
  • Radio
  • Backup camera
  • Jack control panel
All on a 15 amp fuse

Now, I wonder what caused it to blow in the first place

On a side note; my insurance company (Progressive) paid for the diagnosis and fuse replacement. Can't go wrong with that

Thank you for letting us know. Some one will be helped by your find.