Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

HWH Jack Solenoids

Last week I had a problem with not being able to retract the slides on my MH. My MH is a 2002 Ultimate Advantage. I did get that problem fixed (was the hydraulic pump motor) and we got on the road again. As a note, b4 the pump motor went out, all of the leveling jacks were working OK -- we ran them up and down to check to see if the pump motor was OK -- it failed after the test. Yesterday when I got to Myrtle Beach and hit the auto level control, three of the jacks came down but, the rear jack on the driver's side did not come down. As a matter of fact, after the other three jacks had "done their thing," there was a kinda of "scretching sound" and the auto level shut off. I did then extend the slides so I know the motor and pump are working OK. I think that I might have a solenoid problem with the problem jack. My problem is that I do not know which solenoid controls that jack. Need some help on mapping which solenoid might be the bad one. I do have a o-ring rebuild kit for the solenoids with me and I might try that b4 going for further help (and $$$$). I have the 610 Series leveling system. Does anyone know the order of the solenoids. When looking at the system from the outside (oposite side of where the hydraulic motor is located) I call the solenoid toward the driver the number 1 solenoid and the last one toward the rear tire is the number 4 solenoid. Again, the problem jack is the rear one on the driver's side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do know to release the hydraulic pressure by opening the t valve a little b4 taking the solenoid out.

Help Help !!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Dave,
Check/download the hydraulic schematics for your system from the HWH web site. I have the 625 series system, jack solenoids, from left to right standing behind the motor end - solenoids away from you - 1-LR, 2-LF, 3-RF, 4-RR.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

>>On edit: here's an idea: why not swap the two? Try swapping the two larger [ie, rear] solenoids and inspect their rings as you do so. If you still have a non-operable rear jack then the trouble is now isolated to be the ram itself. If you heard a "sound" it more than likely is elsewhere than the solenoid. Solenoid failure would not make any sound; not a screeching sound!

>>My original posted reply:
Even HWH advises that you do not rely on their drawings as the motorhome mfgr. might pipe them differently.

Smaller solenoids are the front & larger ones [with "T" release] are the rear axle.

I have just replaced one of the smaller solenoids. Just follow the hydraulic lines; you will have two going foreward and two to the rear.

I pencilled a white lettering on each for emergency situations.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to rowesort
The jacks always work in pairs ie both passenger side usually lowest 1st, then both front or rear, so if 3 are working I do not believe it would be a solenoid. When ever mine act up I just retract all the jacks and try again. usually works, do you have enough oil in the resevoir? Usually checked with the jacks retracted and the slides in. Just a guess but check for a leak. I am thinking the skreeching sound might from a lack of back pressure to turn off the solenoid or sucking air from insufficient oil in the resevoir.
rowesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

All good thoughts --- I did check the oil after the event last week -- the tank was up to the full mark. I have looked for a leak and do not see any sign of a leak anywhere. I have not yet taken off the solenoid as where I will be for the next few days, leveling will not be a problem -- we are parking the MH at a friends house in NC and will be staying with them inside while doing some work on their house. I will take the MH back to Cummins South upon my return to home and let them run the problem down. All I can say is thank goodness for my extended warranty -- so far all I have been out is the $100.00 deductible and that should be the same for the next event. I will post the final results when it is known.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Got home and drove my MH to Cummins South --- the problem --- a jack soleniod is out. Cummins South called HWH and they said it would be THREE weeks before they would have a solenoid --- they are not manufacturing any of them right now and that is when the mfg process will start up again. Cummins South has been able to find another one locally and they are buying it for me --- it does cost more than what it would cost from HWH but, since HWH does not have one -- guess there is no option for me. The insurance company will only pay what the cost would be from HWH so I will be paying the difference -- about $25.00. I am going to get the one that has been removed from Cummins South and I will have it rebuild and will carry as a spare. That is also what I plan on doing with the pump motor that went out last week. I have found out that if either of these go out, you are just "out of luck." Total cost to rebuild the two should be around $150.00.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

David;

We are happy for you that your jack problem is fixed. Having spare parts is always a good thing. Our best to you and Karen.

Don & Bev
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote