Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH jack question

I just got back from a short trip to Laramie/Fort Collins (my 2004 Adventurer 35U is now freeze-tested to zero degrees plus 35 mph winds, thanks very much). In that kind of temperature, all the hydraulics worked a bit more slowly, jacks (especially the right rear, which has always been slow to retract) would take 20 minutes or so to store, but everything worked.

On the last night, at only about 30 degrees, I parked and started to level the coach, and realized that the right front jack wasn't coming down. I stored the jacks, and the right rear wouldn't come back up at all (broke a 4x4 trying). I recycled the system and tried again, and now both the right front and left rear won't come down, and the right rear still won't retract (although it'll go down).

Since the jack's only about an inch down, but the jack alarm is driving me loopy, I check the fuse panel and identify the "jack alarm" fuse, and pull it. No idea what it is (though I'm thinking that it may be the thermometer/compass, which now reads exactly 180 degrees off), but it isn't the jack alarm.

I broke out the manual and figured out how to manually retract the jacks. It took a bit of trial and error, since my setup is backwards from the manual, but with a block and lever I was able to get the RR jack back up. I was also able to get both the front jacks down when the manual bleed was open, but they'd go right back up again when releasing the button.

After driving an hour or more, the jack alarm was back on - the RR jack had dropped an inch or so again. I attempted to store while driving, with no luck after 15 minutes, so I pulled over and manually retracted it yet again. It's now been 18 hours or so and it hasn't dropped again.

Any hints on what may be the issue?

- Clay

'04 Adventurer 35U
Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
HWH Tech Support needs to here this problem. 1-800 321-3494. Joe Portilli has been extremely helpful for my Jack problems. Joe is also highly respected at the dealership service center where I purchased my MH.

Suncircles
2005 Winnebago Journey 36G
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcCardell View Post
I just got back from a short trip to Laramie/Fort Collins (my 2004 Adventurer 35U is now freeze-tested to zero degrees plus 35 mph winds, thanks very much). In that kind of temperature, all the hydraulics worked a bit more slowly, jacks (especially the right rear, which has always been slow to retract) would take 20 minutes or so to store, but everything worked.

On the last night, at only about 30 degrees, I parked and started to level the coach, and realized that the right front jack wasn't coming down. I stored the jacks, and the right rear wouldn't come back up at all (broke a 4x4 trying). I recycled the system and tried again, and now both the right front and left rear won't come down, and the right rear still won't retract (although it'll go down).

Since the jack's only about an inch down, but the jack alarm is driving me loopy, I check the fuse panel and identify the "jack alarm" fuse, and pull it. No idea what it is (though I'm thinking that it may be the thermometer/compass, which now reads exactly 180 degrees off), but it isn't the jack alarm.

I broke out the manual and figured out how to manually retract the jacks. It took a bit of trial and error, since my setup is backwards from the manual, but with a block and lever I was able to get the RR jack back up. I was also able to get both the front jacks down when the manual bleed was open, but they'd go right back up again when releasing the button.

After driving an hour or more, the jack alarm was back on - the RR jack had dropped an inch or so again. I attempted to store while driving, with no luck after 15 minutes, so I pulled over and manually retracted it yet again. It's now been 18 hours or so and it hasn't dropped again.

Any hints on what may be the issue?

- Clay

'04 Adventurer 35U
did the slides work ok? is the fluid reservoir full with everything retracted?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes, the slides work fine, no sound of air in lines or anything, though at zero degrees they're pretty slow - I didn't physically check the fluid level, because I couldn't figure out how the cap/dipstick is removed and I could find anything to stand on to make the reach down around the hood flap manageable.

I'll give HWH a call today and see if they have any pointers -

Thanks both!

- Clay
Old 03-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Almost the same think happend to us in January in Virginia Beach (temperature in the upper 30's). The left front jack would not go down, and the right rear jack would not retract after being lowered.

Solution, 4 new solenoids and a new motherboard. 2 uotings since the repair and evrything s still working.

Hope you have better luck!
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbumn View Post
Almost the same think happend to us in January in Virginia Beach (temperature in the upper 30's). The left front jack would not go down, and the right rear jack would not retract after being lowered.

Solution, 4 new solenoids and a new motherboard. 2 uotings since the repair and evrything s still working.

Hope you have better luck!
I installed some fog lights and used the gounding lug next to the hydraulic pump for the installation. When I went to set the jscks, 2 wouldn't work. Thinking back I wene to the grounding lug and it was loose. As soon as I tightened it, the jacks worked fine. Hope that's your problem.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tim -

I'll check that out!

- Clay
Old 04-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

An update -

I spoke to Frank at HWH, who suggested checking the fuses in the main control box behind the front bumper (which I'm now referring to as the R2D2 panel after all the blinking lights). There's a 15A mini fuse for each jack. Sho'nuf - 3 of 4 are blown.

Is this the problem, or a symptom? So I proceed to waste 3 new fuses. Just a symptom.

Spoke again to HWH, and I need 3 (they recommend 4) new solenoids. Apparently while a jack is attempting to retract, power goes through all the solenoids, and one slow jack can screw all of them up. I told him that I'd downloaded the jack retraction times spec sheet from their website, and even though that one jack was always slow, it was always within the retraction time specified for that temperature (though the other jacks were consistently faster). He said it shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes or damage would occur over time - at which point I asked why the spec sheet called for times up to 20 or 25 minutes in cold temps?

Since that jack has always been gawdawful slow, and since I know my dad had had it looked at several times since the coach was new, and since he's saying that's what would fry the other solenoids, I asked him whether I could get some warranty help. He said no, since they had no warranty claims for that coach, but that I should check with Winnebago to see if they had any records. If they did, maybe he'd be able to do something.

So I called Winnebago, and they do have records of that one solenoid having been replaced when the coach was about 6 months old.

I emailed that info to HWH, and am awaiting a response.

I will probably end up needing 4 new solenoids, a new set of springs for that jack (to get rid of that possible reason), and to check to make sure the breather cap isn't plugged (given as another possible reason).

- Clay
Old 04-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

With our 2005 Adventurer 33V we have had several problems with our HWH jacks over the last couple of years that began while under warranty, such as different jacks not going down and very slow right rear jack retraction. The fix always required new solenoids, and new heavy duty springs replaced the original. The answer for the slow jack was that it was last in line in the hydraulic system.

The last time it happened we were far from home and had the rig looked at by Capitol RV in Bismarck, ND, when one jack would not extend. As an aside to Capitol, we said that also the right rear was very slow. The extension problem was, again, a burned out solenoid. And...the tech felt that the right rear jack was bent. We have no idea how that happened because we never leave the tires suspened above the ground. If the jacks aren't long enough to level the rig, we put blocks between the ground and the jacks and the tires, usually not more than 2-3" worth.

Once again, all new solenoids, as well as a rebuilt jack cylinder were put on. Since then, our jacks have come up so fast, 3-5 minutes, and slightly longer in 20 degree weather. Usually the last one up is the one that was most extended where in the past it was always the right rear. We wonder if our past jack extension problems were all related to the jack being bent which caused slow retraction resulting in a burned out solenoid.

2005 Adventurer 33V
2005 Honda CRV toad
Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hi Cheryl -

That's great info, thank you! I'll ask about that as well.

2 email messages and 2 phone messages to Frank since Friday; still waiting for a response.

- Clay
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I've had from slow jack retraction to partial jack retraction problems for past year. Solenoids working..verified with switch clicking sounds and alternate retraction methods.

I replaced OE springs with "new" HWH springs. Retraction time shortened but still intermitttent partial retraction. I reset the auto level sensor to correct level...jacks no longer extended to extremes..

Last year at GNR, I learned from HWH Tech rep that HWH makes their own springs...
After going to the website for "Century Springs", I learned what material characteristics and manufacturing processes yield the highest quality springs. My opinion: HWH springs are a D+ with Century Springs A+. Century Springs are generally sold in good hardware stores on a large assorted display board of springs. I have had good success with Century Spring C-307. I have one C-307 booster piggy back to each HWH Spring on a rear W22 HWH jack. Retraction time is cut in half and no other problems to date with that jack...I continue to work the piggyback booster spring rigs concept...I have ordered Century Spring #5582 ($11 each) from the Century Spring Manufacturer and this model should work slightly better than C-307. I'll be testing this new spring rig on the rear jacks this week. More to follow...
Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Good to know, thanks Pubtym -

With the manual retraction valve closed, and using a block and a 4x4, I couldn't get the RR jack to budge - so I figure it's probably not a spring problem, but that'll depend on how it works when I get the solenoids replaced (since now they're just blowing fuses).

I'll file those Century numbers - let us know how the # 5582 works!

- Clay
Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I received the four Century Springs #5582. They are heftier than the C-307s and should work too...Installation and test next week.

I'm also trying to find a crossover aftermarket 12 Volt Solenoid Valve that is higher quality than HWH solenoids that have the high failure rates..

The HWH Solenoid Valve Part Number is RM90729. Incidentally, at my local Winnebago Dealer, I found this HWH valve...it was from HWH and it was a "remanufactured" valve @ $164 each. I did not buy it...parts counter person says they always order "remanufactured" valves from HWH....brand new are $30 more. At this point, the consistent and frequent customer comments I see on posts regarding the high failure rates of these valves...and the finding of these 'remanufactured' HWH valves prevalent in stock dealer supplies....leads me to say "muddy water" about quality of these valves currently used by HWH.

I'm not a hydrualics engineeer but I believe there has to be another valve manufacturing company with a identical crossover valve of higher quality.

I'd appreciate search assistance from any Member having knowledge of these valves and how to find a quality replacement solenoid valve.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:49 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Good to know, thanks Pubtym -

With the manual retraction valve closed, and using a block and a 4x4, I couldn't get the RR jack to budge - so I figure it's probably not a spring problem, but that'll depend on how it works when I get the solenoids replaced (since now they're just blowing fuses).

I'll file those Century numbers - let us know how the # 5582 works!

- Clay

Manual retraction valve needs to be "open"...valve top nut carefully turned counter clockwise no more than about 4 turns..to relieve fluid pressure on jack so springs can retract..when jack is fully retracted, the top nut needs to be retightened carefully...turn nut clockwise to "snug" tightness...think about spreading butter on toast...it is a lite tighten.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Pubtym, FYI. A lesson I learned the hard way. The nut on small solenoid valves can be turned counter clockwise approx. 4 turns with out problems. The nut on the large solenoid should be turned counter clockwise NO MORE THAN ONE (1) TURN or you will snap it off. The wording in the manual is conflicting, it does not specify the differences in the two solenoids. Although both types function the same, different configurations have one type, the other or a mix. On mine, I have the large solenoids for the jacks and the smaller ones for the slides. I have seen configurations that have two large and two small mounted to control the jacks.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Pubtym, FYI. A lesson I learned the hard way. The nut on small solenoid valves can be turned counter clockwise approx. 4 turns with out problems. The nut on the large solenoid should be turned counter clockwise NO MORE THAN ONE (1) TURN or you will snap it off. The wording in the manual is conflicting, it does not specify the differences in the two solenoids. Although both types function the same, different configurations have one type, the other or a mix. On mine, I have the large solenoids for the jacks and the smaller ones for the slides. I have seen configurations that have two large and two small mounted to control the jacks.
Good point. Need to always refer to the specific-applicable HWH system manual before turning any of the screws on the solenoids...as per your point...there are several system configurations out there. Applicable manuals with diagrams to most HWH current systems can be downloaded from HWH website...if one accurately knows the system designation on one's Motor Home. Thanks for posting clarification of my previous comment on solenoid adjustments in manual modes.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
Manual retraction valve needs to be "open"...valve top nut carefully turned counter clockwise no more than about 4 turns..to relieve fluid pressure on jack so springs can retract..when jack is fully retracted, the top nut needs to be retightened carefully...turn nut clockwise to "snug" tightness...think about spreading butter on toast...it is a lite tighten.
Yes, I understand - but if the manual retraction valve is closed, and you can lever the jack up with the system in STORE mode, it's probably a spring issue rather than a solenoid issue. HWH told me that, since it wouldn't budge with the system in STORE mode and the manual valve closed, the solenoid had to be toast.

Makes sense to me anyway....but that often doesn't mean much!

- Clay
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
I received the four Century Springs #5582. They are heftier than the C-307s and should work too...Installation and test next week.

I'm also trying to find a crossover aftermarket 12 Volt Solenoid Valve that is higher quality than HWH solenoids that have the high failure rates..

The HWH Solenoid Valve Part Number is RM90729. Incidentally, at my local Winnebago Dealer, I found this HWH valve...it was from HWH and it was a "remanufactured" valve @ $164 each. I did not buy it...parts counter person says they always order "remanufactured" valves from HWH....brand new are $30 more. At this point, the consistent and frequent customer comments I see on posts regarding the high failure rates of these valves...and the finding of these 'remanufactured' HWH valves prevalent in stock dealer supplies....leads me to say "muddy water" about quality of these valves currently used by HWH.

I'm not a hydrualics engineeer but I believe there has to be another valve manufacturing company with a identical crossover valve of higher quality.

I'd appreciate search assistance from any Member having knowledge of these valves and how to find a quality replacement solenoid valve.
The solenoids that Frank/HWH sent me were $108 apiece, rebuilt. He said the new ones were $190-ish. He suggested I keep the old ones and could at some point send them out for rebuild, but that there wasn't any core charge system on their rebuilt solenoids.

You're right, it'd be excellent if there were an alternate supplier for them!

FWIW -

- Clay
Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Yes, I understand - but if the manual retraction valve is closed, and you can lever the jack up with the system in STORE mode, it's probably a spring issue rather than a solenoid issue. HWH told me that, since it wouldn't budge with the system in STORE mode and the manual valve closed, the solenoid had to be toast.
Makes sense to me anyway....but that often doesn't mean much!
Clay
Agree with potential toasted solenoid due to mostlikely excessively slow retraction by weak -over stretched-fatigued spring..or slope damaged jack... so my search for better quality springs.. and more rugged solenoids.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The solenoids that Frank/HWH sent me were $108 apiece, rebuilt. He said the new ones were $190-ish. He suggested I keep the old ones and could at some point send them out for rebuild, but that there wasn't any core charge system on their rebuilt solenoids.

You're right, it'd be excellent if there were an alternate supplier for them!

FWIW -

- Clay
Interesting understandable differences in remanufactured prices here...my local Winnie Parts guy and direct from HWH/Frank.

I need an old one to hand carry around to local hydraulic shops for a solenoid geek to correctly identify type valve and specs and possibly an alternate company source for a better quality Item. There are many companies making this industrial type of valve.

I'd appreciate someone loaning me their old one to complete this cross over research. I'll pay shipping charges both way.

I'll have to hold discussion here until after Monday. I'm going fishing with motor home ...and HWH jacks with Century rear spring boosters are working great!

Now...if I can just catch some fish>>>