Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH jack issue

Two jacks extend, while one front and opposite rear won't. Any thoughts. They have been extending fine for three weeks on our trip now.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

In a bind due to settling or shifting of the coach. Never rely on a jack system that uses springs to retract too many issues due to binding if settling or "shift" in the unit occurs. Power down and power up is always best, especially with the weight involved. Carry a long pry bar and push them up manually, have helped a few do this. JMHO.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
In a bind due to settling or shifting of the coach. Never rely on a jack system that uses springs to retract too many issues due to binding if settling or "shift" in the unit occurs. Power down and power up is always best, especially with the weight involved. Carry a long pry bar and push them up manually, have helped a few do this. JMHO.

We cannot extend two of them, this doesn't help me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
Have had HWH's for over 14 years now and three different Type A's and have never had a problem with ANY of them! In fact I've never even had to replace a spring. I did have one pad get frozen to the ground so I used a pickle fork to break it lose.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

0ops, may be a controler or fuse...lots of conversation here about these try a search here.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

There are lots of answers here about HWH jacks, some of them might even be right. For my money when I have a problem with HWH jacks or slides I call the 800 number.
Always get a great Tech who can help me get the problem fixed. Call HWH.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBEEBOP View Post
There are lots of answers here about HWH jacks, some of them might even be right. For my money when I have a problem with HWH jacks or slides I call the 800 number.

I just did that Friday, thery took my name and number and indicated to expect a call in 10 days.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I guess we all have different experiences. I called them twice in the last 2 years. Once they answered and solved my problem on the spot. The second time they called back within an hour took an order for a new part and shipped it overnite to me. I would be extremely dissappointed with the response you were given and make sure I voiced it to their management team.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBEEBOP View Post
I called a week ago was told there was a 3 week wait on call backs. Still waiting. I also filled out an email request for information today.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Barb-
1) I believe you have the 625 series leveling system. Check out the LED Legend file for the system MotherBoard here.
2) The jacks use the small relays on the MBoard depicted on the above file. Sometimes a sticking jack means a bad relay (top row of relays, dark brown rectangular gizmos, as seen thru the clear plastic cover). Not sure if this will work as you have two jacks not working, but try pulling one of the offending relays and swapping it w/one for a working jack. You have to work the clear plastic cover off the MBoard; its just a friction fit w/the goofy o-ring seal, so peel o-ring back off a corner then work the ring off all around till the plastic cover is free. That may work & fix that previously non-working jack while leaving the good jack operating, or it may move the non-working jack position; if the latter then the relay is bad (if the former then who knows what fixed anything but at least one jack is working that wasn't, so try the other non-op jack w/same procedure. PM me for info on spare relays if you need them. I asked to buy spare relays from HWH to carry in my collection of traveling trash & they said they don't sell them, only repair MBoards; I found a source.
3) look at LED's # 1 & 2. Yellow LED On for HWH's scheme means MBoard is calling for that function to operate (in this case RR jack), and the associated red LED On means its actually sending out the signal on the appropriate pin on one of the connectors from the MBoard. If both are lit, then either the plugs to the motherboard are not seated to send signal out, or there is a problem further down the line in a wiring loom(s) or at the jack. If one is not on, there is a problem outside the MBoard not calling for that function or there is a malfunction w/in the MBoard.
4) not sure if you tried manual & automatic operation; do so if you haven't.

There are other possibilities as well. Hope this helps get you in the right direction.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Barb-
1) I believe you have the 625 series leveling system. Check out the LED Legend file for the system MotherBoard here.
2) The jacks use the small relays on the MBoard depicted on the above file. Sometimes a sticking jack means a bad relay (top row of relays, dark brown rectangular gizmos, as seen thru the clear plastic cover). Not sure if this will work as you have two jacks not working, but try pulling one of the offending relays and swapping it w/one for a working jack. You have to work the clear plastic cover off the MBoard; its just a friction fit w/the goofy o-ring seal, so peel o-ring back off a corner then work the ring off all around till the plastic cover is free. That may work & fix that previously non-working jack while leaving the good jack operating, or it may move the non-working jack position; if the latter then the relay is bad (if the former then who knows what fixed anything but at least one jack is working that wasn't, so try the other non-op jack w/same procedure. PM me for info on spare relays if you need them. I asked to buy spare relays from HWH to carry in my collection of traveling trash & they said they don't sell them, only repair MBoards; I found a source.
3) look at LED's # 1 & 2. Yellow LED On for HWH's scheme means MBoard is calling for that function to operate (in this case RR jack), and the associated red LED On means its actually sending out the signal on the appropriate pin on one of the connectors from the MBoard. If both are lit, then either the plugs to the motherboard are not seated to send signal out, or there is a problem further down the line in a wiring loom(s) or at the jack. If one is not on, there is a problem outside the MBoard not calling for that function or there is a malfunction w/in the MBoard.
4) not sure if you tried manual & automatic operation; do so if you haven't.

There are other possibilities as well. Hope this helps get you in the right direction.
Mike you are amazing! Not sure this scheme is the same as we have the 325 series but your theory sounds right. Thank you for taking so much time with a great answer.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Barb,

I trust you have checked the hydraulic oil level.

I would try to isolate the problem to determine if it is electric or hydraulic. This is what HWH will have you do, when they call back in 3 weeks. They will call.... I am assuming you have a system similar to mine. My hydraulic solenoid bank is located at the very front of the coach in the engine compartment, yours may be in a different location. There will be 4 solenoids at the top. Wires will be coming off one side and hydraulic hoses off the other. Mark where the hoses are. Then remove and swap two hoses. Make sure all jacks are up first. Then try all 4 jacks and observe if the problem is still with the same jacks or if it has moved. If the same jacks, then the problem is hydraulic or at the jacks themselves. And if different jacks are now affected, the probelm is electrical and you can try what Mike has said or at least give HWH that data...
Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

BarbRN,

Go to the HWH website where you sent the email. Go to the Manuals page and get the Service Manual for your system. Make sure you get the correct manual. If you believe you have a 325 system, there are two versions of the service manual. Read the manual to understand how it is laid out. The manual's troubleshooting section is a decent decision tree setup (Follow the Yellow Brick Road kinda thing). The manual is an interactive PDF file. All the LEDs and relays and fuses are explained. It may help.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Update: HWH called us finally and told us to look underneath at the box while one of us tries to lower the jacks. There should be two lights, yellow and red I think. We only had one. Got new fuses, two were blown, just knew that would fix it.....NOT!!! So we cleaned the jack that was the slow retractor and it goes up fine now. Call HWH back, got the same worker and he was very helpful. We have two "fried" solenoids from overheating with that lazy jack that worked too long retracting. We aren't home, don't have a way to receive mail or parts or the proper tools so we are seeking somebody to replace them for us. A tech listed on their site isn't but a few hours from here. Hope to hook up with him depending on his charges. Wife said it's $100 an hour but we don't want to pay that much to have him drive to us.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We burned out a few too many solenoids because of, as it turned out, a slow retracting right rear jack rod which was found to be bent. Since it was replaced 4 yrs ago we have not burned out a single solenoid.

Occasionally, since then, the jacks would be rather slow to retract. So we started to wipe down the rods and edges of the rubber seals with a little WD40 on a cloth about every 5-6 times the jacks are used. This is to clean, not lubricate. Since we've been doing that the jacks come up in 3-4 minutes every time, even in cold weather. This procedure was recommended by Winnebago in one of their service tips available on their website.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Bisson View Post
We burned out a few too many solenoids because of, as it turned out, a slow retracting right rear jack rod which was found to be bent. Since it was replaced 4 yrs ago we have not burned out a single solenoid.

Occasionally, since then, the jacks would be rather slow to retract. So we started to wipe down the rods and edges of the rubber seals with a little WD40 on a cloth about every 5-6 times the jacks are used. This is to clean, not lubricate. Since we've been doing that the jacks come up in 3-4 minutes every time, even in cold weather. This procedure was recommended by Winnebago in one of their service tips available on their website.
Hi Cheryl, we got to Ennis MT and connected with a great HWH certified mechanic. He has all the parts and got us up and running. A week ago we did the WD40 thing and one went up much better but he said that's very short lived as you say, is just a lubrication that doesn't last. We got new springs on the rear springs and they go up in one minute now. Of course the solenoids work on the the other two jacks now too.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Glad all is well with HWH. A little routine maintenace on ours has made life much easier. Safe travels.

Tags
hwh