Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Noticed one of my springs has broken. Replacement looks simple enough, but thought I would ask if anyone has a trick for putting it on before I sacrifice some knuckle skin.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Noticed one of my springs has broken. Replacement looks simple enough, but thought I would ask if anyone has a trick for putting it on before I sacrifice some knuckle skin.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have changed out all of my jack springs and it isn't particularly difficult, but it does take some effort and some time (about an hour for all four jacks.)

If you aren't afraid of tools and being under your chassis - then I'd say go for it!

One technique is to stretch the spring and place spacers between the coils so it will remain extended while you attach each end. Stretching the spring could be accomplished by a car/truck pulling on the spring, a jack, come-along, etc. Obviously one end is attached to an immovable object . Then extend the jack and remove the spacers.

I didn't do that.

I used a long screwdriver under the free spring end to lever it into position. If you are only doing one spring, I'd try this method first.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

John's idea sounds good. I did one myself using a hyd jack ect. won't go into details as I would not recommend it. The second one I had a RV Technician replace it. Would you believe he hooked the top end and then lying underneath he graped the bottom end and pulled down until he was able to connect the hook. He was half my age and deffinetly much stronger..
Good luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Spring installation: Hook one side of the spring at the top and onto the foot pad of the HWH jack. Using a bottle jack on the other side of the foot pad, pump the bottle jack which extends the first spring. Hook the next spring to the top hook, pump the jack extending the first spring and when the pad is within reach of the second spring hook it on.

Actually sounds more difficult than it is. There is no struggling or pulling of the springs. Good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The first one I replaced I hooked one end of the spring to a telephone pole and the other end to my car hitch. I stretched the spring with the car and placed wood shims in between the coils until the spring was about 4 inches longer. I then had my son go under the coach and hook the top of the spring on the bracket. I then lowered the jacks until the bottom hook of the spring meet the hole. As the jack extended the spring, the shims fell out and I was good to go.

I replaced another when on the road and had no wooden shims. I used the long aluminum nails that I use to hold my patio carpet to the ground as shims. I got a little smarter and just bent the spring with my bare hands and had a helper put a nail in the coil that opened as I bent the spring. I then bent the spring so another nail could be inserted in the other side of the spring. After about 6 or 8 nails the spring was long enough to hook over the top jack spring hole. I then lowered the jack as a helper made certain the lower spring hook lined up with the lower spring hole. Took about 5 minutes and didn't even work up a sweat!

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

A couple of yrs ago my friend Phil was having a problem with slow jack retracting.
In conversation with HWH they sent him a couple of springs, and he bought a couple.
I was telling him how I had reead that to work some hardwood shims between the spring
then mount the spring and extend it to remove the shims.
He came back the next day and said he put them on with his bare hands. He just had his
65th BD.
Then about a yr.ago he saw half of the new spring laying in the back of the RV barn.
He knew it was one of the new springs because they were wound with a taper on one
or both ends. The spring broke while the jack was retracted and no pressure applied???
Tenn.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tips. We have had a significant ice storm in the past few days, so it will be awhile before I put it on. But one thing for sure, my knuckles will not suffer on this task. Thanks as always for the help. There is no place like IRV2.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just had one jack replaced by my warranty which had the new heavier springs. I was talking to the tech about how to get the springs on as I figure I may need to change the others out soon.

He said install the springs to the top and also the bottom with the plate on one side of the jack. Then use 2 pieces of pipe to lever the plate down over the bottom of the jack.

Sounds simple enough to do.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote