Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH Hydraulic Hoses

Last week, while re-arranging some of the basement storage, I discovered what appeared to be oil in the floor of one of the compartments. Upon further investigation, I found the oil on the back wall of the compartment.
One of the hydraulic cylinders for the living room slide is just above the oiled area so I started removing the covers to the cylinder. Upon removal, I found the 1/8" hydralic hose to have several "blisters", some were leaking a very small amount of oil.
After cleaning as much of the oil as I could, I went to the other cylinder to check it for leaks. It also has "blistering" but is not yet leaking.
I then traced the lines to the equalizing clyinder under the coach. The two lines there also had "blistered"
I have a call in to HWH to talk to Frank, he is going to call me when my turn comes.
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If you did, what did you do to fix it?
I worked in the auto industry for 37 years as a Pipefitter. One of our jobs was installing and building new hydraulic hoses for machinery. I have never seen this problem before now.
I am wondering if there has been any recalls on this hose since it is faulty.
Our MH is 8 years old and I am pretty sure that HWH or Winnebago will not be wanting to "help" in any way.
Should I put HWH hoses back on, even if they are the same kind of hoses, or should I have new hoses made to replace the bad ones?
Thanks, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

HWH had a problem with some bad hoses around that time--they may well be prepared to help you out with replacements.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If HWH will help with replacing the hoses, I'd take that route. If not, I would just have a local hydraulic/rubber supplier or auto parts (NAPA, Federated) make up new hoses. I did that and my local guy did not hold the thermoplastic hoses used by HWH in high regard. The reinforced rubber hose he made for me seems much higher quality.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yep! They had bad hoses around those years. On my 2002 36' Journey DL--LD The rear hoses was replace in 2004 and the front, kitchen slide, hoses were replaced in 2008. HWH covered the hoses and part of the labor. I did use their hoses and they ARE a different design. I had a local dealer do the work and they called HWH and made the arrangements for shipping the new hoses. The dealer still charged me about $600 over what HWH covered. Good luck--John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I've thought about replacing some hoses just to get cleaner routings. Mine look like there was one set of hose lengths they used. My 31' has lots of extra hose.

I have my right rear jack removed for repair. I used a standard AN -4 plug. I'm not 100% sure, but looks like it is indeed standard AN -4 stuff. Thought about using stainless braided teflon hose. Anyone tried anything like that?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was told the hoses had to be specific lengths, so opposing or tandam pairs were 'balanced'. Makes sense but could be urban legend.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
I was told the hoses had to be specific lengths, so opposing or tandam pairs were 'balanced'. Makes sense but could be urban legend.

NOT urban legend; spelled out numerous times by HWH with tutorials to explain why and under what circumstances. Check out their web site for your specific system.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana journey View Post
Last week, while re-arranging some of the basement storage, I discovered what appeared to be oil in the floor of one of the compartments. Upon further investigation, I found the oil on the back wall of the compartment.
One of the hydraulic cylinders for the living room slide is just above the oiled area so I started removing the covers to the cylinder. Upon removal, I found the 1/8" hydralic hose to have several "blisters", some were leaking a very small amount of oil.
After cleaning as much of the oil as I could, I went to the other cylinder to check it for leaks. It also has "blistering" but is not yet leaking.
I then traced the lines to the equalizing clyinder under the coach. The two lines there also had "blistered"
I have a call in to HWH to talk to Frank, he is going to call me when my turn comes.
I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If you did, what did you do to fix it?
I worked in the auto industry for 37 years as a Pipefitter. One of our jobs was installing and building new hydraulic hoses for machinery. I have never seen this problem before now.
I am wondering if there has been any recalls on this hose since it is faulty.
Our MH is 8 years old and I am pretty sure that HWH or Winnebago will not be wanting to "help" in any way.
Should I put HWH hoses back on, even if they are the same kind of hoses, or should I have new hoses made to replace the bad ones?
Thanks, Indiana Journey
Yes i had the same proble. In spring 2009 i found my lines had been leaking. Took it to a local HWH dealer in Elkhart,In. He refered me to the HWH factory in Iowa. The reason they leaked was that they use to small of lines. They replaced all my lines and put larger lines in free. Even stayed at the plant hook up. I do not know what they do now but then they had a recall about the problem.
bigd42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

bigd42,
What year is your MH?
Thanks, Indiana Journey
Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

2002 Rexhall
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks bigd42, ours is an '04, so HWH explained to me that the problem had been solved with a better hose on the newer ones. I am not too sure of that! I talked to a supervisor @ HWH and we came to an agreement on the price of two new hoses, which I ordered. I will be installing them next week. Meanwhile, I will let my body heal up from the contorsions that it was in while trying to access the hoses. HWH treated me pretty well for our 7 year old coach. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Indiana Journey
Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Just recently at the WInnibago factory service center they found 3 of my hoses "blistered" but not leaking fluid, so that indicates the fluid is staying inside the jacket. I had all 8 hoses replaced - my $$$. They were HWH hoses.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Wayne M,
You might check into the warranty @ HWH. I think that it is 3 years for parts & maybe labor also. Might get a refund on your hoses.
Indiana Journey
Old 08-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks, I'll check into that.

Edited: I contacted HWH. In 2005 they stopped the 3 year warranty cycle and went to a 1 year cycle.

Thanks - at least I tried. I have found that the worst you can get for asking is a "No."
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Same thing with our 2004 Rexair double full wall slides 16K mileage. The installers of this bogus system ran the hoses too close to the exhaust. I had a hose end blow and do you think I could find someone that could just replace the fitting? Nobody was equipped to work on these 1/8 inch hoses. And quite frankly, these hoses are a joke at this size to handle this much torque. So, now I've got to order a new hose, the improved hoses Parker Paraflex PDH-2 1/8 6000 psi that replaced the phony originals from HWH at 50 bucks plus freight. That is the 84" hose. I need at least 20' of new to reroute it away from the exhaust heat but the installed hose dives into the coach behind the passenger side front wheel well. I've got to tear the wheel well apart to trace it. I've contact, emailed, Rexhall to see if they can give me some idea where this hose routes through to the manifold.

We love the layout of this coach and the room these slides provide(HWH), the Workhorse chasis and GMC 8.1L are outstanding performers, but this motorhome is literally falling apart.......as we go down the road. Pieces of the coach are falling off as we go. I'm afraid to drive it anywhere anymore for fear of causing an accident due to the piss poor quality of this coach. And that is just the beginning. We haven't even owned this thing for a year after we paid cash for it as a bank repo with only 12K miles on it. HWH slides are the way to go on the newer MH and I don't think there is a better chassis than this Workhorse and 8.1 jimmie for the gassers. But Rexhall? Forget it.
Thrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrush View Post
Same thing with our 2004 Rexair double full wall slides 16K mileage. The installers of this bogus system ran the hoses too close to the exhaust. I had a hose end blow and do you think I could find someone that could just replace the fitting? Nobody was equipped to work on these 1/8 inch hoses. And quite frankly, these hoses are a joke at this size to handle this much torque. So, now I've got to order a new hose, the improved hoses Parker Paraflex PDH-2 1/8 6000 psi that replaced the phony originals from HWH at 50 bucks plus freight. That is the 84" hose. I need at least 20' of new to reroute it away from the exhaust heat but the installed hose dives into the coach behind the passenger side front wheel well. I've got to tear the wheel well apart to trace it. I've contact, emailed, Rexhall to see if they can give me some idea where this hose routes through to the manifold.

We love the layout of this coach and the room these slides provide(HWH), the Workhorse chasis and GMC 8.1L are outstanding performers, but this motorhome is literally falling apart.......as we go down the road. Pieces of the coach are falling off as we go. I'm afraid to drive it anywhere anymore for fear of causing an accident due to the piss poor quality of this coach. And that is just the beginning. We haven't even owned this thing for a year after we paid cash for it as a bank repo with only 12K miles on it. HWH slides are the way to go on the newer MH and I don't think there is a better chassis than this Workhorse and 8.1 jimmie for the gassers. But Rexhall? Forget it.
Rexhall had put HWH hydro. In THEIR UNITS. In the Rexhall the hwh lines were to small to handle the pressure.. HWH at one time replaced them at no cost to RV owner at their place in Iowa. Their bad design and pluse they had purchased the steel for the lift from China at that time too. The round steel would not stay round but would egg shape. Do not for get a moto rhome is not made to drive on the highways?? They replaced my lines while i stayed at their factory in Iowa.

Tags
hwh