Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH Again

Just did a 500 mile trip & had trouble with HWH dash light & alarm for "Jacks Extended". I have the automatic computerized leveling system with air dump. I checked all the jacks and RR appeared extended 1/2". I pounded it back up but to no avail. Alarm was still screaming. I finally took dash cover off and snipped alarm wire. Now at home & crawled under each jack & it looks like FR jack is extended an inch. I put hydraulic jack under it and controller in store mode & managed to send jack home. Alarm light still on. Supposedly I have a magnetic switch located on top of jack that according to HWH manual, is the likely culprit for having the red warning light for Front Right jack on. l will crawl up under tomorrow and do as manual suggests-disconnect the switch to see if red controller light goes out. Is there a solution for stiction that doesn't involve removing and rebuilding jack. Unit has just turned 60,000 miles. It is a 1998 Luxor, 37', diesel pusher on Freightliner EC chassis.
While under I noticed the track rod rubber bushing is loose. Is there a replacement rubber bushing available from Freightliner, or better yet an aftermarket polyurthane bushing?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Make sure that your hydraulic fluid reservoir is full. Then push the stow button and do not turn it off. Let it continue to retract and shut off on its own.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It sounds to me like your warning light and magnetic switches are working perfectly. If I understood correctly, two of your jacks were actually not in their "home" position so the alarm should have been sounding.

This is a pretty common problem and is usually cured (at least temporarily) by fully extending the jacks... cleaning them well... and then coating the extended rams with either a silicone spray or a rag wet with transmission fluid.

I'll have my RR balk at retracting fully every now and then but simply pushing on it with a couple of fingers is enough added pressure for it to slowly fully retract.

Best of luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

For me its the LF jack. Not sure why it gets sticky, just does. I suppose things w/tight tolerances, and that stay exposed (mine is up on jacks most of the time) get sticky.
I use Corrosion-X & give the extended ram a good wipe down to a clean dry condition. There is still a film on the ram, I just don't get any more on the shop towel. After that, they go right up. Some folks use trans fluid w/same result.
If you do this and continue w/a chronic sticker, could be ram is in need of more polishing, could be bent slightly, could be weak springs.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I've found that Marks Web of Books and Manuals is a useful resource for all types of training aids/instruction pamphlets. Type in HWH and you'll get numerous documents on HWH products -- these pamphlets are used in the online HWH school for technicians.
John
Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Well I made sure all jacks were landed in the home position, then cleaned the top of the suspect jack to disconnect the jack sensor, as per HWH manual, to determine if the red light went out at controller-and it did. According to manual that means it is the magnetic sensor that is at fault. I stilol don't know exactly what model of HWH I have, but hopefully they can steer me with the model number and serial number of the jack. Any suggestions for Winnebago parts- the local dealer has Winnebago as his third line so you can guess how proficient the parts people are.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #7

We just got back; 6000 mile trip. We also have that problem. driving down the road and all at once the busser goes off and lights start flashing;; From my oversevation, It seems to happen when they warm up.. I have concluded the fluid expands a bit and makes the jack go down a bit. While driving I just hit the HYD. then the store botton; one time i Had to do that 4 times while driving, the bells whistles,beepers, and flashing lights went off.. all was good..I had one that I replaced the switches, Made no differance. Now there is a heavier return spring, I you can install .. That also corrects It;; Then someone says . WELL why don't HWH do it ??? It is only an Isolated Problem... One in a 5000 units..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

download a service manual from hwh.com for your system. it should be a 610 system . using a continuity tester, unplug the jack sensor. with the cylinder fully retracted, there should be no continuity. the magnet opens the connection to turn the alarm off. if there is continuity, replace the sensor. it is part# RAP1008. your cost should be about 40 dollars., plus shipping. it can be ordered directly from hwh. they do take credit cards. also if you have the old style springs, you should consider replacing them.
email [email protected] with an explanation of your problem, and your vin number. odds are you are in their system. this helps with system identification. email is a lot quicker than waiting for a phone call.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

hwh will do it if its still in the warranty period. this problem usually occurs four to seven years down the road. the problem is that the springs rust, and get road grime between the turns on the springs, that makes them longer, and they eventually wont fully retract the cylinder. not everyone has the problem. it falls under owner care and service. if you clean them every year, they last a lot longer.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

It does look like my springs on this jack are not doing the job. The coils are withdrawn tight but the jack is still slightly extended. I was thinking of a way to make them more effective-drilling two new attachment holes further down? Thanks for the HWH info, I'll follow that lead.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #11

New springs aren't that much. If you want to save a couple of bucks, cut a coil or two off the original ones. OR just carry a 8ft 2 x 4
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I know it's been said before, but the first thing to check is the fluid in the reservoir...I went nuts trying to figure out why my jacks wouldn't stow all the way and I found out that if the fluid is not all the way up, your warning light will stay on and the alarm will continue to sound.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Talking hwh fluid

this is a common assumption that owners make, that all leveling systems operate alike. they do not.
hwh does not require that the tank be full to indicate the jacks are up. power gear does. the jack down indicator on power gear is inside the tank. its a float, that shuts off the alarm, when all of the fluid has returned to the tank.
again, the fluid has nothing to do with the retraction and alarm on hwh leveling systems.
if you are low on fluid on the hwh system, the jacks or rooms might not deploy, but the jacks will come up, even if the tank is empty. the springs do the retraction, and magnets in the cylinder shut off the alarm.
there are however some of the newer hwh systems that have power down.power up jacks, you have to have adequate fluid to retract the jacks, but again fluid level will not affect the jack down alarm, as thest jacks have the same magnetic sensor that all hwh jacks have.
this is not meant to be a smarta-- reply, its just factual information from a reliable source.( hwh)
winn service mgr 30 yrs, hwh service rep 14 yrs.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Azpete, I learned something. I used to have a problem with my Powergear jacks on another motorhome. I guess I need to learn the idiocycracies of HWH.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I had 2 rear jacks that would not retract properly, even with the new tapered springs and liberal application of WD40 to the cylinders (which by the way is the current cylinder lube recommended by HWH). Sent them in for a rebuild by HWH, one was slightly bent, the other had a rolled seal or something like that. They worked fine for a while, now I have one that doesn't retract again. I use a 3' piece of 5/4x2 oak to lever it back up into position. And I still get the not-to-be-dreaded jacks down alarm while driving. It just means the fluid expanded from the heat and pushed one jack down a half inch. Just hit the ON button while driving and then the retract button.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to Azpete, I was able to tell my local Winnebago dealer the part number for the sensor. It came in yesterday-so today I spent the day under the MH trying to do the exchange. Finally got the old sensor out & when I tested it with a magnet & my multimeter-it checks out ok. After I pulled the old one out something popped up inside the cylinder and would not allow the new sensor to insert far enough to thread in. So I pulled the cylinder and ended up tapping what ever it was down in the cylinder to allow the new sensor to thread in. Reinstalled the cylinder & test the thing. I still have alarm at the control panel, & the jack is drawn up as far as it will go. I guess I have to phone HWH on this on. It appears something is amiss in the cylinder. I tried the front jacks and they both worked to raise the coach and then they both compressed back by the spring return. I then tried it again and used the store button with the same result. So 4 hours labour and I am no further ahead. I'll let you know what HWH has to say.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to Azpete I was able to inform the local Winnebago dealer the part no. for the magnetic sensor. It came in the other day so yesterday was devoted to replacing the old one. Finally got the old one out but the new one would not insert far enough for threads to catch. Tried old one and it wouldn't insert either. Remove complete cylinder and found the pistong or something was right at top. Used my phenolic hammer and persuaded the piston down enough to instal new sensor. Got it all back together and the problem is still there. I tried raising front of coaqch and lowering-then raising front and pushing the store button-neither made a difference. I checked both the old and the new sensor with magnet and multmeter and they both reacted to the magnet. I now assume there is a problem inside the cylinder. Will contact HWH for advice.

Tags
hwh