Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

When we have our airconditioning on, or just the fan, we find that it only has one speed - not a high and low. The dealer just checked and they said it does have two speeds. They must be awful close together - so close we couldn't notice it.

Has anyone else experienced this condition.

They have had our MH for 16 days now. Just ordered 6 floor tiles. They aren't going to do anything about the moving wall - they are going to cut the tiles short and put a molding on. My guess is that we will be back for another fix in a few months (well, given it is an 8 week wait for warranty service - our warranty expires TODAY - but this will be covered until they get it right).

They did find my black flush problem - as I expected it was in a regulator.

I asked them to do a roof inspection (out of my pocket if everything fine). They found that the skylight had to be resealed.

They say the surround sound is now working with the TV - good, I hope that is the case.

They haven't even looked at the missing gennie bolts yet. And as to the rust - they say they won't do anything about it.

No idea when they will get finished.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When we have our airconditioning on, or just the fan, we find that it only has one speed - not a high and low. The dealer just checked and they said it does have two speeds. They must be awful close together - so close we couldn't notice it.

Has anyone else experienced this condition.

They have had our MH for 16 days now. Just ordered 6 floor tiles. They aren't going to do anything about the moving wall - they are going to cut the tiles short and put a molding on. My guess is that we will be back for another fix in a few months (well, given it is an 8 week wait for warranty service - our warranty expires TODAY - but this will be covered until they get it right).

They did find my black flush problem - as I expected it was in a regulator.

I asked them to do a roof inspection (out of my pocket if everything fine). They found that the skylight had to be resealed.

They say the surround sound is now working with the TV - good, I hope that is the case.

They haven't even looked at the missing gennie bolts yet. And as to the rust - they say they won't do anything about it.

No idea when they will get finished.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Have your dealer or YOU call winnie and find out what the fix is for the floor tile popping up/moving wall. Had it back several times for tile popping up and finally I convinced the dealer to call Winnie ,they fixed it and no more problems. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

ichn, I sent Winnie photos and they diagnosed the problem. Dealer and Winnie have talked twice now and it is recorded in my file at Winnie. All I can do now is hope for the best. Needless to say I'll not be very pleased if they pop again.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Don,

My high and low speeds are noticable assuming the cabin is quiet (the TV is not on.)

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Don,

My fan speed difference is just barely discernible. It would take an amp meter on the fan motor to prove it.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

thanks, I think that is exactly what I have. We'd like to turn the fan down since it is noisy but when we do that we notice virtually no change.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Don, with regards to the skylight needing resealed did you notice any staining inside? Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

No. Didn't even suspect anything. Given that the general one year warranty ends today (took it in on May 11) I figured I'd better have them check it (for $$) so that it will be established that it is OK at this point. They told me they found the caulking around the skylight a problem and recaulked it. I gather that since they found something that had to be fixed under warranty I don't have to pay anything (I'll believe that when I get it back - whenever that will be - and find there is no charge).
Old 05-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Don:

Regarding the rust...saw your photos...mine has some rust (not as much as I saw in your pics) but in some areas that gave me concern. I've used the Extend product followed by Rustoleum paint and so far it seems to be holding well. I don't think the surfaces were prepped well before the frame paint/coating was applied.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

AAAALLLLLLRRRRRIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTT

Extend, at last, I've found someone who has used it. A friend of mine is an engineer and was with Loctite when they developed Extend (he did not work on that project but was involved with the Loctite adhesive products) and he suggested it as a solution. I'd love to hear about how you put it on (and how you raised the MH to get under), where you put it, how much you needed for the area covered, and how it worked? Same with the Rustoleum.

Given that my dealer DID NOT powerwash the undercarriage as per Freightliner instructions, I believe they should do it. If they don't then I'm going to ask if I can have them put it up on their 30 ton lift and I'll have to do it on a weekend (how long did it take you?). If they reject that, I'll have to see what a judge has to say.

Do let me know as soon as possible so I won't be checking the forum all night (I have to get up early to watch the European GP).

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:10 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Don:

At this point, I've done the rear air tank, some support brackets on the front slide, and some of the sheet metal behind the rear wheels. I used a 3M paint stripper wheel in a cordless drill to remove as much of the rust as possible. I have been able to reach everything so far by lying under the coach (a lift would be nice). Apply 2 coats of Extend, wait 24 hrs. If you see any rusty color bleeding thru, another coat is recommended. After that I used the Rustoleum. In a few places, I used rubberized automotive undercoating (area behind wheels).

I'm doing a bit at a time. It's no fun but not as bad as I had anticipated. So far, everything I've treated looks great.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:54 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I would like a slower, quieter fan speed on the HVAC also but if one slows the air flow down with a rheostat, the heat exchanger coils ice up and one is back to nothing. And while the coils thaw out the fan is blowing water up and through the air ducts (mold). I do find the current set up quieter than the roof air units.

Concerning your rust. I have used Extend and it worked great on the front of
my freight trailers. I sprayed Rustoleum black over the Extend and it's been holding fine.

If you want to slow down your rust problem, you could use a rust converter in a deck sprayer (Hudson weed sprayer but for decks=better nozzle)or a Wagner paint spryer. It's acid, so have a little baking soda water for washing yourself available. The rust converter is hard on the spray equipment.

Maybe your connection at Loctite can provide gallons of Extend. If not,
Gemplers has a "rust converter" in gallon jugs. Gempler's
If you know anybody in the artifact/preservation business, they make their own out of tannic acid, oxalic acid, water etc Ingredients
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #14

.....switch shot...replace it with a new one....geofkaye
Old 06-01-2005, 02:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

In the installation manual for the HVAC (I think I downloaded it from their website) there's an airflow chart that verifies what you're seeing. That is, very little difference between high an low speeds. There's less and less a difference as the backpressure goes up. My ammeter verifies I have two speeds (even though it's wired backwards). I've thought about adding even more outlets to quiet it down a bit. It might also lower the backpressure and get more flow in high mode.

Tim.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:52 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

thanks Tim. Our high speed is certainly high enough for us. We often just have the fan on (rarely use A/C in Florida from Nov to March) and we would like less air and less noise so my problem seems to be just the opposite to yours. We certainly had a distinct two speed with a significant difference between low and high speed in our previous coach (Triple E Commander).

Don

ps. How'd things go for you the first race weekend at WH? Gord put new tires on the FV for the first time in a couple of years - a first and second and a DNS (flooded it on the start grid for the second race). He has the engine for his DSR running and now he has to debug it. Chassis and body look great. I still can't visualize anyone building their own engine, starting with a block of aluminum, but he seems to have done it.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I agree on the noise and lower setting. I just don't think there's a way to make it happen. If the ductwork was less restrictive, I'd at least have two settings. For us, it may be a function of having the same unit that is used in 40' coaches in a 31'. But if I recall correctly, the main duct leaving the unit barely meets the specs for duct sizing.

The website is rvcomfort.com

Of course I can't find the chart I was looking at...

Ah ha.
http://www.rvcomfort.com/pdf_documents/1976393.pdf

There's a chart on page 5. At the maximum static pressure on the chart, .8", low speed flows 384 scfm, and high is 458. Only a 19% increase on high, not much.
And it's only 21% at .4". Only at the very lowest static pressures is there a big difference.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote