Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HowTo fix crack in RV's outside wall

Been getting a lot of rain. Noticed a delamination bubble had started. Found a crack in the outside wall below the passenger window and above the side mirror. No idea how it happened, worse yet, no idea how to fix it. I know I can buy a delamination repair kit, found a video on it. What I don't know is how to fix the crack. Wonder if this is something I can turn into insurance maybe?

Here's what it looks like

https://youtu.be/VCrjYq2eBLg

Thanks for any help you can offer.
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

First thing to do is remove passenger window and reseal it. This would be a good opportunity to use GIT-ROT to try and fix the delamination. A boat supply company could probably help you with something to repair the fiberglass and the gelcoat.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

HowTo fix crack in RV's outside wall

On my 2003 sightseer had the same area delimitation starting and found the water was coming in from the front edge of the panel. Remove your trim piece between the front and side and you will see no protection for the side panel from water. Check the other side and seal it too. Mine was about a square foot area so easy repair.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2474181
Old 05-24-2016, 05:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info!! I'll be removing those side pieces and sealing them up. As for the crack, I'm going to contact my insurance guy today and see if Allstate will cover it. I have no idea how to do body work and all that. Really worried about that crack on the outside wall.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Drying before repair?

Is it necessary to dry the laminate first to avoid sealing in moisture or can it get out after the repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
First thing to do is remove passenger window and reseal it. This would be a good opportunity to use GIT-ROT to try and fix the delamination. A boat supply company could probably help you with something to repair the fiberglass and the gelcoat.
cruizerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Remove the panel, window, and mirror. Git Rot is an epoxy product that will flow into the cavity (delaminated area). I would personally use West epoxy, drilling and injecting West with provided syringes. You'll have to apply pressure to the delaminated area, plywood cut to size, horizontal jacks against a wall. Let sit for 72 hours or longer depending on your environment and product used. The "crack" will need to be ground out, laminated, filled etc. best completed by a body shop or boat yard. Your on the right track. The process is not difficult but must be executed properly to insure a proper mechanical bond. Hopefully the interior material is not "rotted"...... A must do!! .... allow the area to dry out completely, forced air, heat gun, bag, seal, incorporate a dehumidifier to your bag/tented area and run a drain hose from the dehumidifier. I have bagged large boat hulls for months at a time for proper dry time. Purchase an inexpensive moisture meter to check and recheck the dry out process then begin your bonding. Best of luck. Used to own a boat yard, PM if I can help answer questions.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Remove the panel, window, and mirror. Git Rot is an epoxy product that will flow into the cavity (delaminated area). I would personally use West epoxy, drilling and injecting West with provided syringes. You'll have to apply pressure to the delaminated area, plywood cut to size, horizontal jacks against a wall. Let sit for 72 hours or longer depending on your environment and product used. The "crack" will need to ground out, laminated, filled etc. best completed by a body shop or boat yard. Your on the right track. The process is not difficult but must be executed properly to insure a proper mechanical bond. Hopefully the interior material is not "rotted"...... A must do!! .... allow the area to dry out completely, forced air, heat gun, bag, seal, incorporate a dehumidifier to your bag/tented area and run a drain hose from the dehumidifier. I have bagged large boat hulls for months at a time for proper dry time. Purchase an inexpensive moisture meter to check and recheck the dry out process then begin your bonding. Best of luck. Used to own a boat yard, PM if I can help answer questions.
Really good advice ... stop in your local West Marine store and check the products.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi Everyone, thanks again for all the GREAT info and support.

Just returned from a visit with my insurance agent at Allstate in town. Showed him the videos and photos, told him the story, he said it was worth filing a claim so he did that for me and told me to expect an adjuster to be in touch within 48 hours.

I'll be 51 soon. Have been paying insurance since I was 17 on cars, houses, boats and so on. Never had a wreck and have never filed any type of claim ever.

I'm a little nervous ...

Tags
rvs