Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HOW TO HOOK 100 lb propane tank to Motorhome

we might have family staying for week in the motorhome..im not driving it to get Propane..can i hook a hose from a 100 lb bottle to the RV filler .i have a cheater hose i used in my towing business to bring propane to vehicles that ran out..but the new tanks dont let propane out as fast like the old ones did?
Old 12-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've always heard about and talked to those who have done it but they were able to just call the local propane dealer who would lease them a tank, bring it out, and connect it. I don't recall any DIY'er going it alone.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post
we might have family staying for week in the motorhome..im not driving it to get Propane..can i hook a hose from a 100 lb bottle to the RV filler .i have a cheater hose i used in my towing business to bring propane to vehicles that ran out..but the new tanks dont let propane out as fast like the old ones did?
all u need is the transfer hose that goes from the valve on your 100lb bottle to the fill valve on the mh most likely lay the 100 lb bottle on its side we used this method when filling a vehicle that had run out of fuel
only using a 20lb bottle
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

we dont have a propane dealer in town anymore.just a phone no on there door to order propane. so im on my own. maybe go to local RV park and ask some full timers how there big tanks are connected..most have those 300 lb pigs connected to there RVs.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We have our 100'er fed in through our split distributer (for two independent tanks) using the standard quick disconnect seen on grills. I did buy my original hose from my LP dealer for $30 but have since seen them at Tractor Supply and on Amazon. Personally I would not build my own though; I am a little old school believing somethings still require an expert.

Also don't forget 100'er are reversed threads, seen a few RVers fight with this, including myself... LOL!
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Just pick up an "Extend-A-Stay" adapter, and run your hose to it, and Bob's your uncle.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

100 lb bottle to RV

might just put in a electric heater for the week. let the family stay in our bed and we can sleep out there..I have my old Canadian Army Arctic sleeping bags. zip em both together and wallaaa. we did this in the 80s when first got married? hmmmmm naaa at 63 we need our sleep.....lol
Old 12-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

A good down comforter is one of the best things we have bought for the motorhome.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm 63, and think the cuddling sounds nice, but electric heater is even better! Or electric blanket.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 12-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I believe propane tanks must be used in the position that they were designed to be used in. You want the gas vapor to burn in appliances. If you lay a 100 lb tank on its side you take a chance of the liquid entering your system. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable folks here to help you out. We lived in a 5er for a winter and I used a 100# tank in the upright position with a stay a while kit from the local RV supply store. Worked great for us.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Camco 59123 Propane Brass Tee with 4 Port with 5' and 12' Hose is what i used now i can hook up any
size of tank as well as use my barbeque off the main tank 15 minutes of work and all done
wildviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

100 lb bottle to RV

Wild Viking, can u take a picture of that fitting please. not having any luck getting a fiitting .all i have is my cheater hose. direct from propane tank to RV tank.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Check Amazon for extend a stay by camco. Pics and description.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Try this link--- https://www.amazon.com/Camco-59123-P...ay+propane+kit

Or this--- https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Gas-...ay+propane+kit
Old 12-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamper View Post
I believe propane tanks must be used in the position that they were designed to be used in. You want the gas vapor to burn in appliances. If you lay a 100 lb tank on its side you take a chance of the liquid entering your system. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable folks here to help you out. We lived in a 5er for a winter and I used a 100# tank in the upright position with a stay a while kit from the local RV supply store. Worked great for us.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
ONLY
IF it was connected directly to the LPG outlet yes ;;But as I understood the OP he was using the 100lb tank to be refilling his current RV supply tank
two different ideals as to stand or lay
Old 12-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
all u need is the transfer hose that goes from the valve on your 100lb bottle to the fill valve on the mh most likely lay the 100 lb bottle on its side we used this method when filling a vehicle that had run out of fuel
only using a 20lb bottle

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!

I worked in the Propane industry for 20 years.

DO NOT EVER LAY A PROPANE CYLINDER ON ITS SIDE !!!! EVER !!!

Propane is in liquid form in the tank and you draw propane gas out of the top of the tank. It changes from liquid to gas as pressure drops from using the gas in the top of the tank. A propane tank is NEVER filled more than 90%. The 10% is the space needed to allow the liquid to change to a gas state. Your regulator and your appliances use GAS NOT LIQUID. Therefore you DO NOT want to introduce liquid propane into them. Not only will it cause them to freeze up it will over pressurize them increasing the chance of a leaks, fire, burns and death.

The exception to this rule is Forklift propane tanks and motor fuel propane tanks that are specifically designed to be laid on their side. They have a draw tube inside that causes them to draw LIQUID propane because forklifts and vehicle converted to run on propane use what is called a propane converter to convert the liquid to a gas state for the engine. Because those applications need a higher flow of propane.

So this means also... That you should never try and use a forklift tank or motor fuel tank and a rigged hose for your appliances Unless the tank has been set up to use the VAPOR outlet on the tank.

BE SAFE WHEN IT COMES TO PROPANE USAGE! IT IS ONE OF THE MOST EXPLOSIVE FUELS TO BE AROUND. AND SIMPLY CONTACTING LIQUID PROPANE ON YOUR SKIN WILL BURN YOU.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndCowboy View Post
DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!

I worked in the Propane industry for 20 years.

DO NOT EVER LAY A PROPANE CYLINDER ON ITS SIDE !!!! EVER !!!

Propane is in liquid form in the tank and you draw propane gas out of the top of the tank. It changes from liquid to gas as pressure drops from using the gas in the top of the tank. A propane tank is NEVER filled more than 90%. The 10% is the space needed to allow the liquid to change to a gas state. Your regulator and your appliances use GAS NOT LIQUID. Therefore you DO NOT want to introduce liquid propane into them. Not only will it cause them to freeze up it will over pressurize them increasing the chance of a leaks, fire, burns and death.

The exception to this rule is Forklift propane tanks and motor fuel propane tanks that are specifically designed to be laid on their side. They have a draw tube inside that causes them to draw LIQUID propane because forklifts and vehicle converted to run on propane use what is called a propane converter to convert the liquid to a gas state for the engine. Because those applications need a higher flow of propane.

So this means also... That you should never try and use a forklift tank or motor fuel tank and a rigged hose for your appliances Unless the tank has been set up to use the VAPOR outlet on the tank.

BE SAFE WHEN IT COMES TO PROPANE USAGE! IT IS ONE OF THE MOST EXPLOSIVE FUELS TO BE AROUND. AND SIMPLY CONTACTING LIQUID PROPANE ON YOUR SKIN WILL BURN YOU.
you need to read and understand the application I was referring to
I clearly said WHEN TRANSFERING FUEL(filling) one tank from another
no one suggested to lay the tank down and run appliances directly from it
yes a car uses a liquid outlet fed to a converter system and yes a RV tank uses a vapour outlet to a regulater
Old 12-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

The proper thing to do is go to a propane dealer and get what is called an Extend a stay kit. It will give you the ability to connect the 100Lb cylinder to your propane inlet and use propane from the 100lb cylinder.

I cant stress enough how much you are flirting with disaster if you try transferring liquid propane from one tank to another with a rigged hose system. You will never recover from the burns you will receive if you make the slightest mistake.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndCowboy View Post
The proper thing to do is go to a propane dealer and get what is called an Extend a stay kit. It will give you the ability to connect the 100Lb cylinder to your propane inlet and use propane from the 100lb cylinder.

I cant stress enough how much you are flirting with disaster if you try transferring liquid propane from one tank to another with a rigged hose system. You will never recover from the burns you will receive if you make the slightest mistake.
the extend-a-stay system is very correct however transferring LPG from one tank to another via a transfer hose is not flirting with disaster in any way. its a safe easy system that I have done hundreds of time when doing LPG convertions.the system was used when u installed a new tank in a car or truck and need lpg to pressure test and fire up the new system
Old 12-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenvb View Post
Hey Ken;
If you were able to deliver propane to vehicles this should be the same. Only thing is the 100 bottle will have to be upside down when you open it to run liquid into the ASME tank. You will also have to have to open the bleed valve on the ASME tank to reduce the pressure so the liquid will flow from the 100.

Other thing that could be done is unhook propane line from ASME tank, add enough extension to the propane line so you can hook up and run vapor from the 100 lb tank. If you have two 100 lb tanks you could add a changeover regulator and have a constant supply from two bottles until it is time to hit the road. Then revert everything back to the way it was. You will still have the 100 bottles, line extension and changeover regulator for future use.

Tags
motorhome, propane, tank