Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-03-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

how to fix tear in slide out awning

On our 2nd trip out in our 2008 Sightseer we had to put our bedroom slide out in because of wind so before the next trip want to try to repair the tear in the awning. We have a roll of clear vinyl repair patch we've used previously on a regular awning but it didn't stick good then. Is vinyl glue recommended?

Also, if we just cut off the awning for now will the direct sunlight damage the top of the slideout? It appears to be a different material than our previous slideouts on other units.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

Phyllis
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I suggest you clean it well and try white Gorilla Tape or sail repair tape. This link also has some info that may be helpful, including repairing the rip by sewing it before taping it. That way you're doubly protected:

https://www.rvforum.net/threads/ripp...-repair.22709/

As a former sailor, I can attest to the strength and longevity of sail repair tape as mentioned in the foregoing link. It's available in two types, Dacron and ripstop nylon. I'd recommend the Dacron version. The ripstop tape is intended for lightweight, ripstop nylon sails like spinnakers. I can't say whether it would be significantly better than Gorilla Tape but it's made for long-term sun exposure and durability on sails that are folded or rolled repeatedly. It would be my first choice.

https://www.westmarine.com/rigging-tape

Regardless of what you do, the area should be adequately cleaned and rinsed prior to application. There are numerous Youtube and other postings online about cleaning RV awnings. You just don't want to use anything that includes a protectant or coating of any sort. If there's any residual adhesive from the vinyl take, Goof Off might help remove it but wash the awning well after using it.

With respect to doing without it, many RVers don't have them. I don't think the top of your slide will be damaged since it's made from the same material as your side walls. It does keep leaves, twigs and other debris off the top of your slide and helps protect against leaks.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob. My husband has decided to use the white Gorilla tape as you and others suggested.
dennysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'd suggest taping both sides of the tear and, assuming it's at an edge, tape by wrapping the tape over the edge.

If the Gorilla Tape doesn't last, try the sail repair tape. Hopefully the tear is in a location that won't be exposed to the sun when rolled up.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide, slide out