Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

How to find fair price?

I am new here. I am looking at 2011 Winnebago View Model J. The MSRP is no help. I'd like to know what I should realistically expect to pay for a new / used unit. Can anyone help?
Bobbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On a used one it depends on condition and mileage. On new ones you will find the discounts start at 20% and can go as high as 30% depending on the season. Right now prices are high, summer season.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, that helps
Bobbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

On a used one use the NADA book with no options selected and use 20% below low retail as a guide. There are a lot of people out there losing their MH to the bank and just want to keep their credit so they will sell it for what they owe. It's sad but I'd rather see another RV-er get it than the bank.

As far as a new one I'd never buy a new one. You will spend the first year getting everything fixed with all your time and aggravation plus it will deprecate 20% the first year alone if not more. If you want something new find a coach that is a year or two old with low miles. You will save a bundle of $$ and time and the coach will have the bugs worked out and will out live you.

A friend of mine bought a new coach, traveled only one trip in the first year because the coach spent most of the time at the dealers getting fixed. On his second trip the wife said "this is not for me". He sold it at a $80,000 loss with only 7,000 miles on it. I wish I had the money then to buy it from him... He's still crying in his beer....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

WElllllllll, I see you are in San Jose Ca. And this is not meant to be funny, BUT, in your neck of the woods, they should be pretty cheap. If it is a new one, I would not pay more than 65% of the MSRP and if used, maybe just maybe 50 % of new.

You do not have to use this as a yardstick, but it might help starting there.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you find one you really like, get pre arranged financing (if you need it) walk right up to the manager of the dealership and offer to write him a check for 30% less than MSRP.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb
I am new here, and need some advice. I am interested in the Winnebago View Model J. The 2011 has the engine and features I like. The MSRP seems silly to look at, but what is the "dealer invoice" price. In other words, what is a fair price to pay for new. It seems impossible to find many used and it's the same issue with price. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
One of our dealers here in the area had a VIEW PROFILE that we almost picked up for just over 76,000 but who knows if that was the lowest he would have gone, maybe after the season and he still has it we will re visit the idea, we have a great old Bounder 1997 that we would grown to love and miss but we do like to travel and fuel would be better.. But than again the Bounder is long been paid for

But those new little ones are great, and good luck

Jerry Donna
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Another thing to consider.
What is your idea of a fair price?
What is the amount that you have in your mind that you are willing to pay.
Also as as posted earlier waiting for the end of the RV season may net you a good RV.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'd say don't be scared to buy new if you find what you want and feel you are getting a fair price based on the guidelines given above. Make an aggressive offer, be prequalified for loan money if financing and be prepared to walk away or counter.

Not all of us who have bought new rigs have spent the first year of ownership wasting time getting lots of things fixed, as has been stated above.

Got mine new almost 4 years ago, did a very thorough pre-delivery test of all systems and have never been back to my dealer since. Only one minor problem on the road fixed by a great dealer in Wilmington NC.

Good luck. And safe travels.
jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I think the 20-30% range off MSRP is a good range, considering how long it's been sitting on the dealer's lot. If a new one has been sitting for a while, the dealer may be willing to discount the price more. If you're considering a used RV, start with NADA Guides, using the low retail with no options as a basis.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Buying new is not necessarily a bad thing. I am a full-timer and have bought 2 new motorhomes, one a Jayco Seneca and the last a 2009 Winnebago Journey. In both cases, I moved in immediately, have had no major problems and have yet to sleep anywhere but my motor home.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote