Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
2004 Itasca Sunrise

How to fill gap in floor....

My wife and I just returned from a short trip in our "new to us" 2004 Itasca Sunrise and my wife was very displeased (aka "pissed"!!) to notice a significant amount of dust and dirt in the six drawers at the bottom of the wardrobe along the back wall. The upper wardrobe didn't seem to be affected at all. I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary from the inside so I crawled underneath and noticed a symmetrical 1/4" to 1/2" gap running the entire length of the back wall and what I presume to be the coach's subfloor, which I believe is the source of the dust and road grime entering the coach. It looked like there were remnants of some sort of foam filler material which I'm sure was installed from the factory when the coach was built but nearly all of it seems to have deteriorated and most of it is now missing. The back wall and subfloor appear to be structurally sound with no evidence of water intrusion, delamination, etc. Is there any special product I should use to seal this gap or should I simply use some type of silicone caulk?
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I like expanding foam for places that vibrate as it tend to expand and crawl in and around the little spots where it clings better. Point to keep in mind before using it is to make sure it can't find a hole to the inside and you just fill the drawer full! Tape on the inside and then foam, perhaps?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I don't like to use silicone but others may have different opinions. I think I would use some of the expanding spray foam gaps and cracks sealer (Great Stuff is one brand but there are several.) It is super sticky and should adhere well. Also, the small tube would allow you to squirt it up into the crack. I have to admit it can be a mess to use so be careful. I think some brands are more flexible than others when they dry so maybe a more flexible seal would be better for that area.

It might be interesting to take the drawers out and poke a wire or small stick up from underneath the coach then have your wife look to see if she can see the wire inside. Alternatively, she could shine a bright light inside and you could look for it underneath.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #4
2004 Itasca Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
I.......It might be interesting to take the drawers out and poke a wire or small stick up from underneath the coach then have your wife look to see if she can see the wire inside. Alternatively, she could shine a bright light inside and you could look for it underneath.
I did indeed take the bottom drawers out and the gap was immediately noticeable by shining a light from below. I'm not sure I can reach the entire length of the defect from above so my plan at this point is to access what i can from above and the remainder from underneath the coach.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I'll let you know if we have any problems following our trip to Colorado the first part of July.
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote