Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

How to clean leaves etc from the slide covers?

We have a 2009 Vectra TD and have a mass of acorns, twigs, and leaves in the metal cover that houses the slide protective awning. Does anyone else have that problem and do you know how to clean the mess out. We asked Lazy Days but they did not seem to have an answer. Thanks.
rscholtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Same problem. Managed to pull out most from between the top and bottom cover. Plan on removing bottom this spring to get rid of rest. Believe only requires removing the two allen bolts on each end.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscholtes View Post
We have a 2009 Vectra TD and have a mass of acorns, twigs, and leaves in the metal cover that houses the slide protective awning. Does anyone else have that problem and do you know how to clean the mess out. We asked Lazy Days but they did not seem to have an answer. Thanks.
i use a 7' ladder and an electric leaf blower to clean the top of my slides, slide awnings, and regular awnings before retracting them.
i guess you could unwind your slide awnings a turn or so and hold the spool with vice grips or whatever and then blow the debris out. thats what i would do.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:24 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscholtes View Post
We always request unshaded sites

Seriously, the leaf blower sugg. sounds good to me.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Dan L has the answer. Works every time. Good leaf blowing
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i use a 7' ladder and an electric leaf blower to clean the top of my slides, slide awnings, and regular awnings before retracting them.
i guess you could unwind your slide awnings a turn or so and hold the spool with vice grips or whatever and then blow the debris out. thats what i would do.
We have a gas blower at the house with a gutter extension wand that we have used on previous RVs.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I usually just rinse the toppers off with a hose and water. If leaving a campground you can also just sweep them off with a broom. As far as debris under the metal covers; there are only 4 bolts that hold them in place. I remove mine occassionally and remove debris and cleanoff the wipers.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I haven't had that problem yet, but I thought if I had something I could use the on board air compressor. I don't have with me, but I do at home have a long wand for it. I don't own a leave blower.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I expect that if it were done commercially they would use a pressure washer. We use ours for almost everything, but you do have to understand how to avoid damaging what you are cleaning. You could cut right through an awning if you don't do it right. If sure makes it quick to clean awnings/covers as well as MH roofs, but you have to have one and understand how to use it.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to rowesort
I have the alumnaguard covers and never have had leaves and twigs stuck between the groves; however get lots of debris under the cover from time to time. to clean the top of the slide I got a small floor mop about 14" X 8" with a removeable terry cloth cover and a swivel end about $14 at WalMart. then I use an extendable broom handle like you get for painting. Cleans all the dust and crap but I do have to stand on my ladder. Take the cover off rinse in water and wring out ready for the next time
rowesort is offline   Reply With Quote