Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question How should I proceed?

I am looking at an Itasca Horizon 39WD that has been on a dealer lot for close to a year. "THEY" say it has 7900 miles on it. If the diesel engine and the generator have not been run to exercise them properly what would I need to be aware of or what could I do to be sure they are in good shape after sitting on a dealer lot close to a year?
Thanks in advance for any and all information.
bbrutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum......So have you been watching this unit? I am sure they have moved and ran the engine and such...Now I am not an expert but I don't think alot of damage has been done. Now in your negotiations make sure the dealer addresses, seals and belts, tires etc. You don't mention the year or the engine manufacturer...Make sure you get an extended warranty. And yes there are a ton of opinions about those..But I would not by a used RV without one..
Good Luck...Peace...D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have seen brand new ones that have set on lots for over two years. That in itself would not be an issue to me. I would ask if they offer any dealer warrantee. You might want to go to www.rvservicereview.com and check out the dealers reputation . That would be a good indicator of whether you even want to deal there.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I bought a new 2005 Journey in 2009. It had been on the dealers lot since delivery from Winnebago early in 2005. I negotiated in the deal that the dealer pay to change all fluids, filters and the air dryer. He had me take it to the local Freightliner dealer for the service, and he paid for it (including the generator service). All warranties started the date of sale, so I was good there. I negotiated that he sell me an extended service plan at cost and I bought a 7 yr. plan. I have now had it almost 2 yrs. and have driven it 19,000 miles with no trouble except for 2 wheel seals, which were covered by the Freightliner warranty. I bought a new coach for a used price, I would not hesitate to do it again.
SoIlBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I know it's not the same thing, but I had 2 motorcycles stored in an outside shed in Phx for over 17 years. After making sure the carbs were clean they started on the 2nd and 3rd kick.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
I purchased my 09 Astoria used, in April. It was used with very low mileage and the dealer did perform some servicing but almost immediately it cost me all the batteries, four 6V coach batteries and two chassis batteries. A very expensive hit.

If possible check the condition of the roof as well.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I would have the dealer service the unit, change all fluids and filters. Also have the dealer provide a 1 year replacement warranty of the batteries.

Ken
Old 09-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I would for sure get an extended warranty from them before the deal but before you sign on the dotted line read it over good and make sure it covers the things your want. Make sure to read the FINE print. I would for sure have them change the fluids and check the date codes on the tires. Hope all works out.
Welcome to the Forum and hope you find it usefull. If you have questions, fire away as someone here will have your answer. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Bought a 09 Journey in mid 2010. Chassis was a 08 with an actual chassis build date of 9/07. I needed an M3 (3rd year) service last year. Freghtliner determine the annual service requirements based on the date of the chassis build even though your warranty begins when you purchase. This makes sense to me as the fluids/lubrication would have been 3 years old in the fall of '10 albeit little used. Make sure you negotiate a chassis service comensurate with the chassis build date. The 3 year service is very extensive and costs about $1000-1200 on a Freightliner.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote