Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

How much weight can you load in a slide w/compts?

Gents,
We have a 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD full body paint with two slides. Both are on the drivers side. One is in the galley/living room and the other, obviously is in the bedroom. Now, as many of you know, the compartments are built into the slide which means, they "travel with" the slide as it extends and retracts. I can't remember seeing any info in any of the manuals I have or, on line, just how much weight can be loaded into the compartments for that slide.

We have the combo HWH, hydraulic leveling system/slide operation and so far, that combo system works absolutely flawless. However, I know, based on the way it's built, that slide alone, weighs a serious amount. Now, based on the fact that, there are overhead cabinets inside the coach that also travel with the slide, in and out, but, also there's the couch, and table and chairs too that are "carried" by that slide as it travels.

She's got those loaded with some lighter food stuffs, small boxes of things like battery chargers for cell phones, lap tops, binoculars and more small stuff, I think the total of weight she's loaded in those top cabinets probably tops out at about 25-30 lbs.

Now, then there's "my stuff" in the outer compartments, built into that slide. Conservatively, I figure all the stuff I've got loaded in those compartments, most likely tops out around, 100-140 lbs. I'm going to take it all out and weigh it today, if I get a chance. The Bounder we sold just over a year ago, had sticker in that same exact compartment/slide setup, that stated not to put more than 100 lbs in those compartments. That slide system on the Bounder was electric and two, rails that had teeth in them and two electric motors. It was not the best but, it worked pretty well.

Ours, like stated, is the Hydraulic ones and while it does travel in and out without too much, I think, effort, you can see and hear, that it's working to go in and out. Plus, that slide, as you know, travels out to a point and then, "Drops" so the inside floor is level with the stationary floor. So, when retracting, that slide has to "lift" and start its retraction at the same time. So, the additional weight that both I and her have loaded is certainly not helping matters.

But, as much as I think we'd love to remove much of the additional weight, it's all stuff that is needed on a semi-frequent basis.

Many manufactures DO NOT have compartments that travel with the slide as it extends and retracts. I don't like those because you have to get on your knees and bend way down to get into and out of those if your slide is open/extended. And, from what I've seen, even if the slide is in, the doors only open to the horizontal so, getting into and out even then is a p.i.t.a.

So, anyone got an idea where I can find info (printed or pdf style) on weight limits on the slide (galley/living room) in a unit like ours? I think I've looked in the brochures but, if I recall, they were no help. I don't like calling Winne and Itasca for such trivial info when the lines are needed for folks with much more important issues to resolve. Thanks for any help sent our way, it's most appreciated.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had the same concerns. What I did was go with 150 pounds as rule of thumb. The way I got around the worry of weight was I loaded all the stuff I would be taking out first in the slide bin. That meant that the weight when extended or retracted would be minimum. The first things out go in last when slide is closed.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I think I read in one of the manuals for the units I had with "storemore" that I was 300. But that more tan 15 minutes ago so......
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's a good question which I've never thought about.

Our coaches have a pretty substantial CCC and I seriously doubt that they would expect to have only 150 lbs loaded in each side but I don't think a call to Winnie would be out of line at all.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
I had the same concerns. What I did was go with 150 pounds as rule of thumb. The way I got around the worry of weight was I loaded all the stuff I would be taking out first in the slide bin. That meant that the weight when extended or retracted would be minimum. The first things out go in last when slide is closed.
trackman,
That's kind of what I was thinking but, as much as I've narrowed it down as to what I think I'll need in any given situation, for general camping, leveling (wood etc) and what-not, it still all adds up. That slide runs on rails with HDPE plastic blocks as friction pads. I lube them with silicone as often as I can but, she still growns a bit going in and out. Sometimes, I give her a little help by pushing on the slide as the wife is inside hitting the retract button. I must look pretty silly "assisting" the retraction of a slide on such a nice, full body paint coach, from the aspect of other campers. But, I figure, it's my slide and if doing that every once in a while keeps it from developing problems, I don't care how silly I look. I'm the one who has to fix it if it breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I think I read in one of the manuals for the units I had with "storemore" that I was 300. But that more tan 15 minutes ago so......
Cousin Ed,
I was laughing my a.. off at that. I think you got me beat with the 15 minutes. I'm more like 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
It's a good question which I've never thought about.

Our coaches have a pretty substantial CCC and I seriously doubt that they would expect to have only 150 lbs loaded in each side but I don't think a call to Winnie would be out of line at all.

Best of luck.

Rick
Rick,
I'm going to dig around some more in the master volume pack that I have for manuals to see if I can't find pertinant info on this. I'm sure Itasca has some sort of limit to what you're supposed to carry so you won't damage the mechanisms. I'll let you all know if I find info on it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have an '05 Itasca Meridian 36G and read somewhere 450 pounds.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
I have an '05 Itasca Meridian 36G and read somewhere 450 pounds.
When I bought my Suncruiser I called Winnebago and asked them that question. Unfortunately I can't find my notes six years later but my recollection is about 450 - 500 pounds per slide. I know that guys with their tools and spare parts can add a lot of weight but Winnebago treated it like you can't fill them full enough to overload them. They weren't very worried about overloading the slides.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I know that guys with their tools and spare parts can add a lot of weight but Winnebago treated it like you can't fill them full enough to overload them. They weren't very worried about overloading the slides.
This is what I suspected their answer would be too.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Same wonderment I have had - have not found it documented anywhere. I just keep the heavy stuff - tools and the like - out of the outside slide compartments and canned goods and such out of the inside compartments. Easy enough to do and ensures keeping the load low on the slides.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, weight