Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How I fixed a dead 110 outlet on the kitchen wall.

This is for a Winnebago 2013 Journey 36M purchased used.

My wife reported that the outlet on the kitchen wall stopped working.

First was testing the outlet and it had a strange 8 or 9 volts of AC but if I put a load on it (night light) it had zero, so I assumed a loose connection.

First I pulled the outlet. These are a variety of hollow wall outlets that server as their own box. There are two plastic flanges at either end that swing out when tightened and should swing in when loosened if you hold the outlet to the wall when loosening them. One did not so I had to back the screw out all the way, dropping the little plastic flange into the wall, which fortunately is a foam core and I could fish it out.

Next I tested the wire coming to the outlet with a volt meter and they had low voltage too, meaning the problem was upstream.

The wiring diagram provided by Winnebago doesn't make clear it how these outlets are ordered but they are clearly all on the same circuit and this was proved out by using the circuit breaker and testing the voltage. While I was at it I noted and document on the breaker box door other things I found on this circuit.

I decide to start with the outlet in the circuit closes to the slide junction box.

The first thing I discovered is that Winnebago decide it would be better to save two inches of wire instead of making it easy to pull this receptacle.

After pulling it I discovered that this was clearly the source of the problem. You can see a hot and a ground wire floating loose, they were probably barely touching before I tugged the outlet out.

You can also see that this outlet distributes power to two other locations probably, the bad outlet on the wall and the other outlet in the cabinet (facing down).

Finally you can see in the picture that the wires are barely pressed into the contacts. Since I had to press two pairs of wire in and I wanted to make sure it was good and tight I stripped the top two set of wires and pressed them in until they were firmly against the first set which were already stripped and pressed all the way down. The result is wires well below the top of the contact slots.

After this it was just a matter of energizing the system and testing for voltage. Everything worked fine.

My observations are that although probably adequate I would rather have outlets with screwed on terminals and I would rather have a junction box used if the power is distributed from an outlet to two other locations.

It should also be mentioned that there appears to have been two rework in this box given the three cuts in the insulation, one from the original install and two from rework, so this may not have been Winnebago factory work.

I may setup as a future project to pull and check all of my 110 outlets and I may also seek a better type of outlet for high load locations like the kitchen.

I hope this helps someone with a similar issue.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-P1040587.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	120801  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 13_wire_181558_body_110.pdf (2.18 MB, 94 views)
Old 03-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizerEd View Post

First was testing the outlet and it had a strange 8 or 9 volts of AC but if I put a load on it (night light) it had zero, so I assumed a loose connection.

First I pulled the outlet. These are a variety of hollow wall outlets that server as their own box. There are two plastic flanges at either end that swing out when tightened and should swing in when loosened if you hold the outlet to the wall when loosening them. One did not so I had to back the screw out all the way, dropping the little plastic flange into the wall, which fortunately is a foam core and I could fish it out.

Next I tested the wire coming to the outlet with a volt meter and they had low voltage too, meaning the problem was upstream.

The wiring diagram provided by Winnebago doesn't make clear it how these outlets are ordered but they are clearly all on the same circuit and this was proved out by using the circuit breaker and testing the voltage. While I was at it I noted and document on the breaker box door other things I found on this circuit.

I decide to start with the outlet in the circuit closes to the slide junction box.

The first thing I discovered is that Winnebago decide it would be better to save two inches of wire instead of making it easy to pull this receptacle.

After pulling it I discovered that this was clearly the source of the problem. You can see a hot and a ground wire floating loose, they were probably barely touching before I tugged the outlet out.

You can also see that this outlet distributes power to two other locations probably, the bad outlet on the wall and the other outlet in the cabinet (facing down).

Finally you can see in the picture that the wires are barely pressed into the contacts. Since I had to press two pairs of wire in and I wanted to make sure it was good and tight I stripped the top two set of wires and pressed them in until they were firmly against the first set which were already stripped and pressed all the way down. The result is wires well below the top of the contact slots.

After this it was just a matter of energizing the system and testing for voltage. Everything worked fine.

My observations are that although probably adequate I would rather have outlets with screwed on terminals and I would rather have a junction box used if the power is distributed from an outlet to two other locations.

It should also be mentioned that there appears to have been two rework in this box given the three cuts in the insulation, one from the original install and two from rework, so this may not have been Winnebago factory work.

I may setup as a future project to pull and check all of my 110 outlets and I may also seek a better type of outlet for high load locations like the kitchen.

Ed
Those are Hubbell Wirecon receptacles. If installed correctly they work well, in fact in a vibration prone environment like the motor home, may be better than screw type that may vibrate loose. For correct installation, the installation tool should be used. An alternate method is on page 18.

Hubbell Wirecon Installation Guide
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks John. I have never pulled a switch/receptacle before, great info..

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Excellent information. It fills out the post nicely.

The screw type would tend to vibrate out so these probably are best if properly installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Those are Hubbell Wirecon receptacles. If installed correctly they work well, in fact in a vibration prone environment like the motor home, may be better than screw type that may vibrate loose. For correct installation, the installation tool should be used. An alternate method is on page 18.

Hubbell Wirecon Installation Guide
Old 03-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

IDC type connection material, especially when required to handle high current, MUST be rugged and is composed of a higher quality metal mix. BUT...ICD connectors don't take kindly to repeated insertions and extractions of the wire. In fact, 3 is one too many in my book.

IDC = Insulation Displacement Connector

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Ed
I am not an electrician, but that outlet does not look safe. I'm sure it is, but I do not like the way it is designed. I have to agree with a prior post that I like the screw-type terminals better. A little loctite would fix those screws from falling out.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'll buy a new one and rework it. Any advice on slicing in more wire to make it more workable?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I am not a fan of the push in style connectors, I have had more than one in a house not work properly causing intermittent opens. I will have to pull a couple in my RV and see what is in there. I can pretty well guess.

I had an old Airstream that had screw terminals and none of those connections were loose even after 40 years.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'll buy a new one and rework it. Any advice on slicing in more wire to make it more workable?
Use a short length of wire, at least 8", and crimp junction with the old wiring. I'd use a high quality insulation wrapped over them and bend them so the Neutral and Ground junctions are nowhere near the Hot lead.

Because the ICD connections in the old electrical box have probably been abused with repeated insertions and extractions, I'd agree with the need for buying a new slim line box.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote