Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I need to repair/replace the standard day/night shade over one of my sofas. May replace it with one of the American Duo roller-shades, but not sure.

Problem = I'm trying to figure out how to remove the day/night shade.

I have a 2004 Vectra 40KD. The window has the 3-sided valance (across the top and down both sides of the window) over the shade. I can see where the valance is screwed into an L-bracket at each bottom side, but can't figure out how they've fastened the valance at the top, across the window.

Looks like the day/night shade is fastened vertically to the top of the valance, not horizontally into the back of the wall.

Has anyone removed theirs? Do I need to remove the valance (and if so, how??) or does the day/night shade somehow unclip?

Thanks for any advice.

Ed
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I need to repair/replace the standard day/night shade over one of my sofas. May replace it with one of the American Duo roller-shades, but not sure.

Problem = I'm trying to figure out how to remove the day/night shade.

I have a 2004 Vectra 40KD. The window has the 3-sided valance (across the top and down both sides of the window) over the shade. I can see where the valance is screwed into an L-bracket at each bottom side, but can't figure out how they've fastened the valance at the top, across the window.

Looks like the day/night shade is fastened vertically to the top of the valance, not horizontally into the back of the wall.

Has anyone removed theirs? Do I need to remove the valance (and if so, how??) or does the day/night shade somehow unclip?

Thanks for any advice.

Ed
Old 08-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Ed
Check this click here

2005 Itasca 38R Suncruiser
Frank (Wires) & Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There will be a screw at either end up through the middle of the top piece of the shade--you may not be able to see them but they are there. There's probably a clip in the middle as well.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Just took one down this weekend. The only thing holding the valance was the four "L" brackets, two on each side. Nothing was holding the top of the valance. I removed the screws from the valance and not out of the wall. The shade was screwed into the top of the valance with three wood screws. May be more or less screws depending on width of shade. Mine was 48 inches.

Richard
07 HR Specter
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I just finished removing and replacing the shade at my dinete window. There are two screws that run vertically and go through the top of the shade and a clip in the center. I had to go outside with a step ladder and work through the window to find the center clip. I could not figure out how to remove the valance. If the valance was easily removable this would not be a very tough job. Poor design on the valance IMHO.

Nexus Ghost
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richf:
If the valance was easily removable this would not be a very tough job. Poor design on the valance IMHO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've replaced my shades a number of times over the years and the valance wasn't too much of a hindrance.

Although I'm sure there must be a better way, the shade over my dinette requires me to remove the dinette off the wall now that's a bit of work I don't look forward to. I'm sure there's a better way to do it but I don't do this stuff everyday.

The shades are easily serviced from inside the coach by the way. The use of a power screw driver makes this task a snap. An assistant can also be helpful but I have always done this by myself.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to everyone for responding. Looks like I have a weekend project &lt;g&gt;.