Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

How do I remove a day/night blind for repair?

Does anyone have experience with removing a day/night blind for repair from a Winnebago window cornice? I've examined mine ( 2006 Tour ) and can only visually see a metal L bracket located on each side near the lower part of the cornice's sides. I cannot see anything near the top. How does one remove the blind for repairing a broken string?
Ron Fleckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fleckal View Post
Does anyone have experience with removing a day/night blind for repair from a Winnebago window cornice? I've examined mine ( 2006 Tour ) and can only visually see a metal L bracket located on each side near the lower part of the cornice's sides. I cannot see anything near the top. How does one remove the blind for repairing a broken string?
Usually there are screws that are run thru the upper portion of the blind into the valance or cabinet above. They are hard to see and are between the blind and the window. In other words, if you hold the blind out and away from the window and look up behind it, you may see screw heads.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #3

Mine basically snap in by tilting at an angle with the front up and inserting the FRONT into the mounting brackets first and then raising the rear until I hear a click on each bracket.

I would assume that you would do the reverse to remove it.

I just installed a new one in my bathroom that replaced some mini-blinds that Monaco had installed there.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tough job. I did it once on a large window and now another string has broken on a small window and I see no way to get to the screws. Amazing how the manufacturer can make something so difficult.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #5

That;s because the screws holding the mounting brackets are hidden under the shade. You have to remove the shade first before you will see any screws.

Those shades simply snap into the brackets.

I've been repairing these things for 10 years and once you know the components they are easy to work on.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I replaced the shades with MCD shades. Unfortunately, the advice about unclipping them does not align with the way Winnebago mounted the blinds. If I recall correctly, you need to open the blinds completely letting the fabric accumulate on the bottom frame. Looking upwards, you should see a couple of screws that pass through the last layer of the blind material on the bottom of the blind and then through the top of the blind and into the valence above. These screws will remove the blind. The brackets on the side support the sides of the valence and you should see screws when you remove the blind through the top piece of the valance into whatever is above holding/supporting the valence. You will find a power screwdriver and a 6 inch bit extension is your best friend in removing the blinds.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Bobmac has it right. Replaced all side windows on my coach. Blinds were screwed in thru top on window side. Pain to find. With a long blind make sure you have help
Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #8

Sorry about the confusion.

Obviously, Winnebago has their own way of doing things versus Monaco and other brands of RV's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

As stated by others, on your Winnebago you should find a single screw that goes through the top plate of the day/night shade. The screw heads are well hidden and may be on the window side of the shade fabric, probably an inch or two in from the end. The longer shades will also have a center clip, but I don't recall off hand whether the shorter blinds have the clip or not.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

This is from the RV Geeks Youtube site on replacing a broken string. Hope it helps.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have screws on either side of the shade, but the center bracket absolutely snaps in and out. All the shades I've pulled have the same center clip.

I also have a couple of choice chant phrases to encourage their install & removal.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Ditto SCVJeff's post. That and a 12" extension on the screw driver.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Like SCVJeff,
I too have done many of them in our coach. It's not the most fun thing I like to do but, it's not all that hard either. Yep, getting them out of the valance area can be more of a pain than it is to re-string them but, in some cases, what I've done is, open the window and screen, and work on part of them from outside the coach. You don't have to as much of a contortionist that way. But, in any case, ours are like many here, two screws, facing up, one near each end and, in the middle is retained by a clip. You must tilt the entire upper structure of the blind to get it to release from the clip.

As usual, they're not all the same.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #14

It is very easy to work on them if you remove the window valence first. Those screws are easily accessible. Well, that's the way there are in my coach at least. Maybe not so in a Winnie.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
repair