Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hood latch - old problem - new to me

Well it never pays to get too smug. I have read the other posts by owners whose hood latches, and as it turns out, other things, come unglued from the fiberglass front end. We all know it's a crappy design and destined to fail.

I had been proud of the fact that my latches et al had always been nice and tight. However, today, it was my turn.

Luckily, it's only one of the hood latches (and it didn't fall off going down the road) BUT it's also almost all of the brackets holding the grill in place! And, I'm sure once some start to fail, the others can't be far behind.

I know others have drilled holes in the front end and used stainless crews to affix the latches which I'd like to avoid if there is another possible solution. Are there any creative ideas out there, or links to previous posts - I can never seem to be able to locate them. I was thinking maybe constructive adhesive from the brackets to the fiberglass although how I'd get a caulk gun in there I'm not sure.

I'd like to strangle someone at Winnie for this cluster. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Winnebago hood latches

I had the same problem on my 2015 Vista LX. I went back to the dealer, they wanted close to $600 the glue them back on. I used a Dremel tool to remove the old glue and then glued it back using 3M 5200 Marine adhesive. This lasted for over a year when the other side started to come loose. So, to make a long story short, I decided to drill both sides and use a number 8 stainless screws and nylon lock nuts to secure them. I haven't had a problem since.
flarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had same problem and used the 3M 5200. I had to let it set, clamped for seven days for full cure. No problems so far.
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

So here's a progress report. The RV is at my local dealer with whom I've had good experience - so far! Please, not to jinx me over that statement.

They are going to put/glue the hood latch back on, which btw, fell off on me while I was trying to wire tie it on so as not to lose it. They are also using a black 3M epoxy with which they say they've had excellent results. Although the other side is still tight, they said they will add extra epoxy to that side where the bracket meets the fiberglass all the way around. I guess we'll see how the whole thing holds up.

As a side note, I had the dealer do the repair because when I checked on the 3M epoxy, it's a double tube and needed a double tube caulk gun which together was over $100 and the dealer is going to do it for $200. So considering the cost, time & mess, I decided to cough up the bucks.

Last, the 3 or so grill brackets that are loose I will re-glue with the 3M 5200 since others seem to be having good luck with it.

I'll report back with the final outcome.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I used stainless bolts and washers. Looks like it is supposed to be there. It is on the rear of the coach.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2015 Vista and the passenger side came off on the freeway and ting, ting, ting from the front to the rear of the coach. I called Winnebago and they said this is a known issue and they would put a note in my file and for me to take it to a dealer and it would be covered. Might be worth a phone call. In the meanwhile I put cable lanyards attached to the coach and to the brackets so if they brake free no ting, ting, ting.
OhioVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I’ve had these issues for many years. Finally gave up and screwed things together with SS bolts. Includes the running lights and rear engine cover along with the hinge assembly. Additionally I drilled a lot of holes in the brackets and added epoxy that extrudes through the brackets. No problem since.
Interior has a lot of double sided tape holding wood together. Not a big fan of that as well. Just had the roof replaced as it blew off.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I had similar issues over the last 9 years. The problem isn't a bad design, it is in bad surface preparation. If the fiberglass is prepared well (cleaned and sanded) at the glue point, with the proper epoxy, the metal will stick permanently.

My solution (after preparing each failed surface) was to use JB Weld (a two part epoxy) and clamp till set. And on larger areas (the engine grill attach points) where clamping was tough to use, I tried a universal construction adhesive, and with a few contact points with JB Weld Qwik, to hold the whole thing together until the construction adhesive set (three days). All my repairs have been holding over many years.

I did ask my dealer to fix the first front bracket that failed under warranty, his young apprentice, did no surface prep, clamped the bracket into place, and used a $100 double tube of epoxy to glue the (edges) of the bracket to the underlying fiberglass. About 1/8 of the tube on the repair, perhaps 1/2 the tube squirted on the pavement. Needless to say, I had to redo that repair in about a year.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

latches and grill falling off

Our Forza is not yet a year old and same problem. Since it is still under warranty it is going back to the dealer!
Known problem from 2015 and still not corrected.
NSCRCRZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I used JB Weld, the one impregnated with metal. Enough of the old glue remained to act as a positioning guide, and I was VERY generous with the JB Weld. So far so good, we’ll see how well it holds on the next bad road��. Only one of the latches fell off, and it caught in the headlight wiring so I was able to retrieve it, fortunately. The other one is still solidly attached, at least for now. Zip tying it to something sounds like a very good idea, that will happen before I hit the road again.
mitchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #11
Site Team

I’ve got a 2010 Vista 32K and haven’t yet (knocking on wood) have any issues with the latches but I think that maybe putting some stainless screws/ nylocks might be a good idea.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

hood latch

I had one side fall off in the drive way, Lucky me, I bolted them in place with chrome button head bolts. Looks good.

Darryl
MIDMONDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:57 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

A quick look around at any event where couples are gathered will truly show that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." So, since it seems that more than a few owners have used SS screws, botls etc. I was wondering if we might see some pics of just how good/natural these repairs look - as stated. I'm not crazy about having to bolt these latches on, but if the alternative is them falling off every couple of years then maybe bolts it is!
Also, I'm supposed to be picking mine up from the dealer in a couple of days, I'll report on how the repairs appear since only time will tell how they hold.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

For those with this issue, the 3M stuff is great, but a double tube. Just use a single gun twice. I squirted in on a wood sheet and mixed when ready.

The MAIN issue is, they do not prep the metal part. It is nice and shiny. It should be roughed up. The stuff they use sticks to the fiberglass just fine, it's the metal bracket that is the issue. So they put enough on to squish around the bracket to hold it in place, vs actually gluing the bracket.

Fixed my 2003 in 2005, with the 3M product and never had an issue, sold it in 2016. Already had a few come loose on the new one. The others seem to be holding. The guy working the day my rig was assembled was not afraid to squirt away. Some I've seen, looked like the guy was personally paying for the epoxy, very little used.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:06 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Final report for now

So, I got the RV back from the dealer and they had sealed the entire rest of the RV other than the roof radius and caps which I did. It all appears to be great so I guess now we'll see if it leaks.
In reference to the hood latches, they re-epoxied the one which fell off and put epoxy around the edges of the one that didn't, in hopes that it won't fall off. I guess we'll all wait and see if and for how long it holds.
The final piece of the problem, the grill supports which have also come completely loose, I will re-glue with the 3M 5200 (?) as I already have a new tube of it. If it doesn't work, I'll report back.
I've included a pic of the hood latch they repaired. Sorry for the orientation - it should be vertical but you can still get the gist of the repair.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190728_085238.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	172005  
Old 04-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

My 2018 Vista LX one of the hood latch attach points just fell off. The other moves. I am trying to glue it back on with JB weld 5200. What a poor design. What were you thinking Winnebago?
Jdhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We ended up using stainless steel bolts and washers from Lowe’s. Looked good and was still working when we traded it.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I glued mine back on but reinforced with SS hardware and nylon washers. No problems since.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Following up on my post of June 2018. After a second round of coming unglued (both the bracket and me&#128540 I have finally given up and bolted them on.
mitchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I too went the stainless bolt route - 4 "screws" with a nylon locking nut on the back to ensure it stays. I had the passenger side fall and luckily get caught below and not on the roadway.
I left the existing epoxy and drilled through the metal on the bracket on top and bottom on both sides. Only taken one trip but I'm not worried about figure out how to remove the epoxy and reglue and having to do the other someday down the road. From all accounts, I've read no damage to the fiberglass, and barely noticeable.