Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I went to my storage unit to get the coach ready for the Texas trip. While opening the front "hood" to get at the compressor, both hinges just broke loose, leaving the hood in my hands. The hinges were held on by some sort of blue glue (maybe epoxy) that just snapped off in the cold. I plan on waiting till I get to Texas to put it back together. Any suggests as to what glue to use or should I try some other fastening method.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I went to my storage unit to get the coach ready for the Texas trip. While opening the front "hood" to get at the compressor, both hinges just broke loose, leaving the hood in my hands. The hinges were held on by some sort of blue glue (maybe epoxy) that just snapped off in the cold. I plan on waiting till I get to Texas to put it back together. Any suggests as to what glue to use or should I try some other fastening method.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

A few months ago, Winnie repaired a couple of my failed glue joints for free as good will. I was 2 years out of warranty. Got time to run up to Forest City before you head for TX?
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have noticed a few bonded jonts on our Journey that have come loose. Repair them as I find them with the best 2 part epoxy I can find at NAPA.
Same as you, where the generator hood attaches to the front cap, rear cap mounting brackets, various brackets that attach, or were attached to the the front and rear fiberglass cap.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had one side come off. I took mine to a body shop. He glued the loose side & riveted both sides. The rivet heads are black,look like they belong there & are hidden when the hood is closed. Total cost $50
Old 12-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hold the hood back in position. The inside flange of the front cap can be drilled and small stainless screw with locking nut can be used to hold the hinge inplace. You can use this method with epoxy for extra if you want.

Also, the lid (of the hood that is glued to metal)can be screwed from the sides because that is the next thing to come unglued. All screw heads are not visible when the hood is closed. Total cost for 8 screws and nut, about $6. Installation takes about 1 hour.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the help. My actual cap cover had come loose a couple of years ago and my dealer glued it back on. I like the idea of screwing it back together, and was glad to hear that you can do it without being too much of a contortionist. We are leaving for Texas tomorrow and will have a beautiful cardboard/duct tape cover on our cap.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

MINE DID THE SAME THING BUT IT WAS THE DOOR ON THE REAR. TOOK IT TO MY DEALER, THEY GOT WINNEBAGO TO COVER IT UNDER WARRENTY.