Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hiding Entertainment Wiring Runs

We are deep into an overhaul of our entertainment system. Changing component locations, coax to HDMI, etc.

It seems to us that those "battens" that run side to side on the ceiling (see pics below) would make great cable runs. Assuming you could get them down, and back up.

I'm guessing the "battens" hide the edges of the various pieces of ceiling covering. How can you remove and replace those battens. Are they glued in? Snapped into a channel? Installed with magic?

Yes , the pics are sideways. Nope, don't know how to rotate them.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180608_162622.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	169700   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180608_162756.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	169701  

Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Update. Apparently at least 44 members are as stumped as we are.

However paupers and kings do their best thinking on their thrones. It occurred to me that the WC vent is mounted in such a way as to "cut" through one of the pesky battens. By removing the interior trim piece I was able to get an end view of the assembly and even slide off 6 inch (+/-) piece. Disappointing. The plastic cover must be slide off the underlying aluminum extrusion. Too stiff to snap off. End view of the extrusion looks something like this: _/ \_

There must be a way! Back to the throne.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #3

Oldchinahand, are you overthinking the need to hide the wiring? You’ll “see” it but who else? The wire from my inverter isn’t hidden but an blending color. I see it but no one else does.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Too many years bouncing quarters off taut sheets, dress edge to stbd, straight gig lines, on target 15 klicks down range, answering all bells, and making the old man look good, I guess.

Fair Winds and Following Seas.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #5

I never had anything that would go 15 klicks. The arty boys did but not us ground pounders.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Those “battens” are snapped in to a plastic rail. Just pop them out and snap them back in. However there isn’t a lot of room for wiring. A little, but it has to be thin wires, not cables.

The battens hide seams where the padded vinyl headliner meets. Sometimes you can work some wire under the padded headliner right next to the batten and then when you snap the batten back in place it will overlap the hidden wires.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What exacly are you trying to do?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Jeff, just generally bringing our 2007 technology up to 2018 standards. As long as it was just SWMBO and me the technology was never an issue. In 45 years we've never laid in bed and watched TV, and although we are outfitted with DirecTV, we are more the campfire, adult beverage and sunset crowd.

But, now our two grand daughters are traveling with us more. Kids seem to be more electronics oriented than a Los Angeles class boomer boat. 2007 is coax, 2018 is HDMI. Just looking for ways to route it around and keep it out of sight. Have already replaced several of the 120V outlets with 120V/USB combination outlets, bluray front and bedroom, etc.

To creativeparts' point, we are 10 years older than your rig. Perhaps the battens "snapped" onto the aluminum extrusion when new, but are very stiff now, I worry about them being brittle. Intend to try a heat gun on them, if I can keep from melting the headliner. If it doesn't work, I'm sure there are other ways to skin this cat.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Still trying to figure out where you are trying to go? If all you’re trying to do is get HDMI to the bedroom, the routing is reasonably easy to do going down and into the basement, and up on the left windshield pillar, just plan a long afternoon to do it. I have a 1x2 HDMI splitter behind the front TV that feeds the rear and it works just ducky.. IF i were to ever want a seperate DirecTV feed back there, i can still locate the Rx up front the plug the HDMI cable into it. And yes, all cables are totally dressed and laced from end to end and totally nidden.

The remotes are all RF these days and can easily make the trip arross the coach without need for the IR repeater

RF modulators may be dead, but coax is not. You still need it for the OTA antenna; front, read, and side

There is absolutely no reason to tear down the ceiling to do anything with the entertainment center.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Well, dang Jeff! If you can't take your toys apart, what good are they? Kidding aside, your rig and ours have the same layout. So we have the same limitations.

The original thought was -- Above the kitchen sink is a corner cabinet. Its top is pretty much wasted space. Thinking of making it a docking station for electronic components. Actual components will only be there when we take the g'kids out with us. Necessary wiring could either chase down the side into the elect/water bay, then run underneath to wherever, or, that ceiling batten seemed to be an attractive alternative. Across the ceiling, down thru the refrigerator cabinet, then to wherever. In either case, make up slack is needed to provide for the slideout. Just as the sink plumbing.

After much floundering around, looks like the batten is a non starter.

We put flat screens front and back several years ago. Then the OEM entertainment center died about six months ago. Hard to find replacement coax compatible and with 5x1 surround sound. Replaced the TV's again too (because they keep getting better and cheaper). We ran HDMI front to back following the exact route you described. As you say, still need coax because of OTA ant., cable and satellite. Getting to be a real bear patching and marrying coax and HDMI to keep up with tech changes. Not likely to get easier.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I know the space.. boy, you went out of your way to find the most difficult place to wire... I think HDMI is here to stay in consumer land for awhile.. But if you wanna be fancy with HDMI you can always install HDMI<>fiber drop downs to the front, then do whatever you want forever, and you’re good for about 8000’.. Personally I wouldn't mess anything in the ceiling unless theres water or sunlight peering through..

Jeff - WA6EQU

Tags
wiring