Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I posted a question about a year ago and had a couple of happy customers. I planned on heading to quartsite again this year and have thaughts of having the valves installed at the best price I can get down their.
Have any of the members that have installed their anti rock valves, still pleased with their purchases.??

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Absolutely, yes! Best enhancement in terms or handling I've added to the chassis.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You might want to read through this extensive thread.

Motion Control Valves
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Absolutely satisfied with the MCUs. Did a cross country trip this summer and was able to take most curves at suggested speed limits, which I was never able to do before. Did not have any WOH! situations on suprise curves anymore either (within limits of course).

Next are Koni's to try to reduce the ride harseness over bad road surfaces, such as the concrete expansion joints. (I encountered my share of bad roads this summer)
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

An unqualified yes. Well worth the cost. Best handling addition I can imagine.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

You can obtain a set of Motion Control Units from RVupgrades.com.

Bill installed a set on his Vectra and he loves them.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for the feed back on the motion control valves. The long thread of 9 pages gave a me a good understanding of the pro's and
con's.
I had recently talked to HWH about there active contol products which for after market retro install was in the $7000. area. Its a whole new complex system, I understand. But for now, I think, keep it simple, makes more sense.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just remembered, that in the MCV thread, that someone hade mentioned the 3T contol device. I had installed it some time ago and I did make a difference in the roll, and I understand why it helps. When I have the MCV up and running, I will report back how the combo stacks up.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Party Bardge: I visited Henderson last summer in Grants Pass OR, where they installed my MCV.

The valving limits the fast escape of air from the bags for better control. Here's an idea how much the MCVs controls the air escape- I can push the DUMP BAGS button and have enough time to exit the coach and if needed lift the mud flap out of the way of the ground.

They also replaced a cracked brass fitting on one of the front air canasters they found during their inspection.

We'll be in Quartzsite 1-22/1-25, have a good trip.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Not to be too nosey, but if you would, about what price total are we looking at?

Don, WIT 70041
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

It seems like the HMC valves are little more than an air brake line union fitting with an orifice. (Union cost about $8.00)

It seems that these sell for a real premium for all they are.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hi Shuffster,

The effect is the same, but the HMC’s are made of a porous pressed steel slug inserted into a brass barrel. The advantage, as I see it, is that with just an orifice, the chance of a small particle plugging the orifice is reduced or eliminated by having many even smaller channels for the air to pass through. Also, the contorted path that the air has to take to pass through the element adds to the restrictive effect with out reducing the size of the individual paths. Very effective and reliable and I think well worth the additional price.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hi all, I did not get to Quartzite and plan to order the motion control valve on line from rvupgrade. I know the coach is over 30,000 but not sure on the air line size. I read the thread aboout using a wrench to size the line, but don't have coach near by at this writing.
Off hand, does anynone know the line sizes for a 40' 06 horizon, freghtliner chasis. From what I have read, the front and back are two different sizes??.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 01-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Yes Bob, front & rears are different sizes but can't help on the Horizon. My 36' Meridian is 1/2" in front and 1/4" in back best I can remember. Hopefully someone that has measured their Horizon will answer.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Bob,
I have a 2005 Horizon and the measurements are as mentioned by Wagonmaster 2. Fronts are a 1/2" and the rear lines are 1/4".
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi all, Just got back into town and was able to measure my air line going to my air bags. 1/2 for the front and 1/4 for the back. both lines come off of the bags at a 90 degees about 2" above the bags. I ordered valves from rvug. and I plan on doing the install. ...Question? For anyone who has done this. Is there anything that I need to do which will make the install easier and safer?
I plan to:
1. Put the rig tires on blocks at about 4" above the ground and let all the air out of the system.
I believe that the air bags needs to be empty, so there is no drop in the coach height.

The 4" rise in elevation should give me enough room to access the lines and install the valves.

Any Suggustions??

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 02-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Main thing is be sure you have a tube cutter that will make a clean sharp 90 degree cut on the lines. Lowes has one I used that sells for about $12-$13. I dumped the air bags and also emptied the air tanks to be sure there wasn't any pressure in the lines leading to the tanks. I raised the coach a little with the leveling jacks then supported the frame on each side by the lines I was going to cut with a couple of heavy duty stands.
After you cut the line, measure back about 1/2 inch and make a mark on each cut end so you will have a reference point to be sure how far into the MCV you push the cut line. If its not in far enough it won't seal.
Good Luck.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

DonGee~ Regarding the price, I believe it was approx $550 for the installed MCV. I had them installed in OR when diesel was $5.29, transportation costs included........
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:31 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Wangonmaster2.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Just an up date. Ordered the valves via rvug. Worked out to be about $340. with shipping. Spent a few hours under the rig cleaning and seeing what I needed for safety. Ended up buying 4 12 ton bottle jacks which gave me more confidence along with 4 six ton axle stands and small cord of wood blocking, just to be safe. The rigs leveling jacks were also used, but not counted on.
I dumped air and then used the front air hose valve under the hood to bleed out all the remaining air in the system.
Installation of the valves only took about 5 min. per wheel. Marking the line about 3/4 inch up from the cut made for a good reference for how much air line slipped into the valves.
I aired up the rig and dumped a couple of times and then road tested the rig on a short course.
I noticed more flatness on turns and less dip when braking but this was a short 5 mile loop.
I have a question for those who have the mc valves.
Has anyone had a valve blow out, or air leak that would have caused air bag to loose support for that corner of the choach.
I understand that any air line can pop loose at a press fitting and have experience an air leak or lets say a fitting loosing a lot of air.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD