Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help with roof sidewall seam on Journey

Good morning, I wanted to see if anyone would be able to help me do the roof
sidewall seams on my 2003 Journey DL 36G. And by help I mean take the lead and I am the help. I am in the Dallas area (Frisco, TX). In return I can offer tax
preparation, electronic filing and maybe even some bookkeeping. Thanks to
anyone who may be able to help me.
capdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

That would be a great trade off ...wish I could! I've had good roof seam work several times from McClains Corinth location ...Ft Worth location botched it the first time but did well when I took it back for a re-do.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Solved mine with Eternabond tape all along the seam, been a year no with no problem.

Only cost about $50 and only took a couple of hours to put on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can anyone give us a report on how Eternabond holds up for this over say 5+ yr? Pretty much anything ...even doing nothing ...can do well for a year and likely longer. I would be interested in how Eternabond ...and the integrity of the seam under it ...holds up over the long term.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
doc
Winnebago Owner

We used Ebond a few years back on the 2000 Itasca Horizon we had the. This was the fabric backed kind, not the plastic type. Cleaned all the edges with windex and a terrycloth rag. Cut all the old caulk out and then recaulked After that, I decided I never wanted to go through that again. Split the 4 inch tape evenly and then set the tape in the gutter bottom and let it lap up over the seam and onto the edge of the roof panel. Rolled it down and in place until I was sure it would not come loose. Used the UV protectant pain and coated the tape with two coats. When we traded the coach 6 years later, it was a tight and waterproof as it was the day we finished the job.
Now, be careful where you place the ladder - I fell off and got shook up pretty roughly. But the Ebond was a great success
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I put the 2" Eternabond on my roof-to-sidewall seam in 2005 and it is still holding up well. My coach is stored outside.

The white tape does get dirty like the roof but cleans up fairly well. No signs of it giving up...it has held fast. Based on how difficult it was to remove some that I had used on the roof around my old Kingdome, I will say it is not going to come off on its own.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #7

I went to a merine/boat yard got some adtisitive from them;; Cleaned the grove, steel brushed it Put some in the grove. No more problem... DO NOT put that stuff you buy at a box store on your Motorhome.. When i was at the factory i told them.. They said it was a no no to put that merine grade glue on . I asked WHY; they responded you can't get it apart again. . I just said now that is good in my way of thinking; Life is good;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone for your replys, it sounds like the eternalbond would be the way to go. Still not sure if I want to tackle it by myself, but the bid I had from one shop was 18 hours labor at $110 an hour is enough to make me want to try it anyway! Ouch!!
capdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

When you start to install, just remove a couple of feet of backing from the tape, apply it then move on down the edge. If you pull off a lot of backing, you stand a chance of it touching somewhere and if it does it can be hard to remove. I found that you could pull it back up if you're really careful. Only took me about 4 hours to do my 36 footer roof seams and end cap seams.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

As noted, pull the clear backing off exposing a few inches of the tape, apply, pull off more backing, move along.

I started at the front and only pulled about 4 - 6" of the backing off at a time and pressed the tape down. If you gently pull the backing off as you go and take your time, it will work great. Clean the area well with acetone or non chlorine brake cleaner. Use a wallpaper seam roller to roll over the tape which activates the adhesive. This stuff really sticks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, roof