Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #1

Help: Want an Extended Stay Propane Kit

Have any of you installed a Extended Stay Propane kit (ESPK) on a Winni with an electric propane shut off? All I can find is a ESPK for a manual shutoff valve.
Mike-N-Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Sally View Post
Have any of you installed a Extended Stay Propane kit (ESPK) on a Winni with an electric propane shut off? All I can find is a ESPK for a manual shutoff valve.
Never seen anything other than the one with a POL fitting on it. Your's is different? My old '85 Pace had an electric valve, but still had a POL fitting.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The Extend-a-stay has a Male and Female POL, you can "Insert" it right after the tank valve

With an electric cut off you may need to re-route or extend wires a bit, but there is no special kit for electric shut off rigs.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I don't know about an electric valve, but I can say watch out for the extension of the regulator by inserting the extend-a-stay. I installed an extend-a-stay last winter while in FL and while returning north over the rough sections of I95 had the connection loosen because of the vibration. By the time I smelled propane in the MH and then got stopped I figure I lost about 1/4 tank of propane. After shutting off the propane and tightening all connections again, I was able to proceed without further problems. However, I now have added checking these connections on my checklist. After getting home, I added a support bracket to hold the regulator. So far, I've had no further problems.

BTW. I think I was lucky that I didn't have a fire because of this leak.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #5

Thank You, for the Replies.
Mike-N-Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
I don't know about an electric valve, but I can say watch out for the extension of the regulator by inserting the extend-a-stay.
You have a point there Phays.

I tend to forget that when I tighten a propane connection I, being a bit paranoid about leaks in that system, tend to tighten it to the best of my ability....

True story: I once changed tires on a Ford F-350 custom (10,000 pound opiton) and tightened the lug nuts using nothing more than the standard 2-piece wrench ford bolted to the fender.

When that tire picked up a nail we were close to the contract tire store so we limped in, and the mobile tire guy there put his big, and I mean big, air wrench on that sucker... Took forever to get the nut to turn (or so it seemed) I'd tightened it a good many foot pounds of toruqe more than his wrench could un-wrench (Well you hammer long enough and it gives)

That's how I tighten propane fittings too.. TIGHT!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I ran with my Extend a Stay tee unsupported for about 30,000 miles with no problems, however I kept intending to figure out how to support it somehow.

When I installed the Koni shocks which ride a lot rougher than the OEM shocks I finally got around to it.

I cut a piece of 1 x 4 that was a slight press fit under the tee. Cleaned the area under it real well and put some silicon adhesive caulk on the support and gently tapped it under the tee. It's solid and the tee can't move at all now.

I think I am lucky that I dodged a bullet by putting it off so long.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Frankly Clay.. I thing that bullet you dodged was a blank. The Extend-a-stay is rather well built and I seriously doubt you would have had a problem.

Of course.. that does not mean you would not have

Proper tightening of the connections.. that's #1 in my book. and quite likely the only problem you will every have.