Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2021, 02:24 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Help - no hot water

Hi, we're on the road and have no hot water on gas or electric. The water heater is an Atwood GHCA6A-10.

I'm guessing that since it will not work on either, there must be a common denominator. The control board seems to be the most obvious, but I didn't know whether the ECO's could have tripped when we were setting up.

I can't find much help on the internet, nor on My RV Works videos. I'm capable of doing the diagnostics, but not sure how to proceed logically.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Are you getting water from heater? If not ,could be check valve at water heater. , just changed mine, as I was not getting hot water at faulets. On the outside of heater there as resets for electric element. Check power to heater there. Gas might be off or plugged gas fume. Controler on mine is inside coach at the back of heater.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
Just Trying to Help

Upinsmoke-

First check is always: Is there water in the heater?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

When you say no hot water, does that mean no water flowing from hot faucets, or water flowing but it's cold? Two different problems/solutions.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:39 AM   #5
Site Team

Assuming you mean the WH isn’t heating the water, the first thing to check is the Thermal Cuttoff. It’s a small heat activated “fuse” that when it gets too hot, usually from a flameout, interrupts the 12v power between the circuit board and the thermostat. When it blows neither the AC nor Gas portion of the heater will work.

It is easy to bypass for testing. And you can use the WH without it, but be aware that it’s a safety device that you should not routinely be without. Running on electric without it would be fine. But it should be replaced if you’re going to use propane more than a very short time.

Replacement is super easy and it’s a very common RV part to buy.

To test it just open the WH door, locate the part in the photo below, unplug both ends and then reconnect the main wire to the spade on the water heater, bypassing the thermal device. The connections are setup for this and it will just snap into place without the thermal cutoff. Then try your heater on gas and if this was the issue the WH should fire right up.

Then if possible just use the WH on AC and find a replacement cutoff on Amazon or any RV parts store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D608E93-6C8E-4987-80A4-CFB6C257598F.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	181582  
Old 12-31-2021, 04:54 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

OP here. First apologies for not being clear on my post. By this point, I should know better. Thanks for the responses.
The problem is solved, and as in many cases it was user induced, even with the best of intentions.
During my routine and preventative maintenance procedures, I separate electrical connections, ensure that they are clean, add a tiny bit of di-electric grease and reinstall with a tight connection. Except this time.
I'm not sure whether it was the ECO or thermostat connection but on one of them, the connector went into the protective cover but did not connect.
Knowing that it had to be a common thread, I disconnected them, made sure they went back on securely and it fired right up. Lesson learned.
Creative, thanks to a previous post of yours, the thermal cutoff was the very first thing I checked.
Thanks again for the tips.

Tags
water