Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
The 6.2 was not a gas engine. Ever. It was made by Detroit, and used in many marine applications. The Stanadyne DB2 injection pump on it was far more reliable than the later (electronic) DB4 pump. The displacement was later increased to 6.5L, and in '94 equipped with the DB4.
Maybe Rick 99037 is thinking of an early Olds 350 diesel. That was a (insert expletive here) and slapped together job.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ1 View Post
I'm hoping there is someone out there who has any information or can point me in the right direction here...I have a 2009 Sightseer 35J with Chevy Workhorse W22 chassis & 8.1L engine. Only 67,000 miles. Maintenance done religiously (bought it used with 40K miles on it). My engine went down while on a return trip from the Black Hills the end of July. Long story short, I was able to get it towed 200 miles to Sioux Falls where it is currently sitting at a mechanic's shop. I live in western Wisconsin just across the MN border. Being from out of state, trying to find someone to work on it was 1/2 of the problem. I had it towed to Billion GMC Truck dealership who thought they could work on it. However, after looking at the engine they said it would need to be replaced - was told it was in the lower end, possible rod or piston knock or wrist pin. Due to it's length, they can't get it into their shop so I now have it at a place the tow company referred me to call Precision Automotive - small(er) mechanic who does work on Class A's. Now to the issue at hand - the Mechanic is hitting dead ends trying to find a new engine. Chevy apparently doesn't make that engine anymore and the reman he thought was going to work came back and said they won't make it/warranty a new one because it's going into a motorhome. It's sucks not having my RV, but hearing that finding a new/reman engine is not looking good, I'm starting to panic a bit! Looking for any insight from anyone. Thanks!!
Did you find an engine and get it installed yet? Just curious to see which direction you went and how it turned out for you.
deucehotrods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, sightseer