Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Help... My entry door latch sticks!

Our entry door latch sticks to the point where you often must give a "hip check" when exiting. Wondering if anyone else experienced this and how you fixed it. Today, I loosened the two large screws in the door jamb that I thought would allow me to slightly adjust the bolt-like post that the door latches to. However, although the screws were loose, the post remained very solid and couldn't be budged with light hammer persuasion.

I didn't have time today to investigate possible adjustments on the door latch itself. So, before I go any further, I thought I would solicit advice from the many RVer's more experienced than me

I'm guessing that this type of latch and post assembly is not exclusive to our coach, but as a point of reference our door is attached to an 05' Journey.

Thanks,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had to adjust the latch on the door.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I took a file & enlarged the hole in the door frame for the dead bolt. It still gets tough, & I have found that even though the MH is level a slight adjustment in the jacks & the lock works smoothly.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem on 04 journey and 07 Vectra. Now have a 2011 Tour and guess what, same problem. Have always had to remember to pull in on the door prior to unlocking the deadbolt. When I ddin't remember, it was a problem. Decided that while the new one was under warranty, would have it fixed. Two occasions at the dealer failed. Now, there is a recall, at least on the 2011. Now waiting for the new deadbolt to come in. Don't know yet exactly how it is different, but if I understand the dealer's description accurately, the square (or slightly rectanguler) bolt is being replaced with a tapered one that will be tight when fully engaged, but will slide in and out of the hole easier. Don't know if the recall affects any others
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you are talking about the main lock and not the deadbolt, The striker bolt is in the jamb. It is a bolt that can be adjusted. Loosen the bolt and center it on the latch. This will free up the latch. Only loosen it a turn, so that it can be moved.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had the same issue with my 09 Journey. Had the bolt replaced under the current "campaign". The new bolt is tapered significantly and completely resolved the problem. If you didn't receive a notification, I would contact Owner Relations to see what can be done.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
If you are talking about the main lock and not the deadbolt, The striker bolt is in the jamb. It is a bolt that can be adjusted. Loosen the bolt and center it on the latch. This will free up the latch. Only loosen it a turn, so that it can be moved.
Thanks for the responses. Our deadbolt works fairly well. It's the main latch that hangs up on the post (striker bolt, thank you).

The striker bolt has a hex head on the end. Are you
suggesting that I can loosen the striker bolt by turning the hex head with a socket ? I previously just loosened the large Phillips screws above and below the striker bolt in the jamb. I guess it makes sense that the bolt can be loosened this
way. Otherwise, why adorn it with a hex head. Thanks again for all the responses. Sounds like a fairly common problem.

Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yes, you have to loosen both the screws and the pin. I suspect it's a sleeved or sholder bolt. I had to loosen mine and do the opposet. I had to tighten the door to fix the air leak going down the road.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Not sure if this will be helpful or not but I had a two fold problem. The bolts were not centering on the striker plate and the door handle would stick in the down position. I just about fell out of the door with the hip action.

First problem my dear husband loosened the screws holding the striker plate raised it slightly severl times until the keeper screws slid in easily, We did nothing to the keeper screws in the door.

Next he removed the inside of the locking system, discovered the upper right part of the slide was binding and every so easily bent it back. Now everything is working good as new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVdoor keeper.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	15009   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvdoor lock inside.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	15010  

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags