Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 04:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Help! Just started trip and AC is acting up....

Looking for any feedback and experiences out there. We just started a 10 day trip and for the first time since owning her the Dometic AC last night at 1:00 am blew the circuit breaker. Took me a while to figure there was even a switch to flip. After checking we had power I reset the breaker, waited 30 min and restarted the AC successfully.

It ran the rest of the night so far. But I have a dreadful feeling that this could be the start of something And with having a dog in camper at times alone and this being the beginning of the trip I am pretty worried.

The AC is 3 years old, I’ve owned it for the last year and have had no issues using it at least 10 times. I do have a surge protector set outside but did not notice anything off about it, all green lights. Of note, the microwave did get some type of surge or power cut because the clock was reset to zero.

It’s Sunday and I’m sure finding a repair person will be difficult at the least. Any body familiar with this kind of issue? Could it have been because of the source power here at the state park. Not a very old park (Skidaway Island Savannah) and everything looks up to snuff out there but it could be I imagine. Or perhaps a capacitor going bad maybe? But at only 3 years old I would be surprised.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Fasttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

It happens. Could have been low voltage at the pedestal which can cause current to rise. If it happened just once I would not be too concerned. Mine will trip once in a while. If it keeps happening then I'de get it checked out.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the feedback Smith. The wife was getting worried that this was going to be an issue and we may have to return home. So far no more issues.

We will continue to monitor and will ask the neighbors if they had any similar experiences.
Fasttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not sure where you are but if you are in a campground and it is hot, it is highly likely the voltage to the AC dropped resulting from high demand on the CG service. When that happens, the AC will draw more current to run at the lower voltage and a breaker can trip as a result. Really nothing to worry about and not much you can do about it. Enjoy the coach!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

OP, do you have a surge/low/high voltage protector on the RV?
If not, you might consider getting one. IF the problem was caused by low voltage you might rather have the surge protector disconnect the coach rather than have the AC kill itself running on too low voltage.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Also, if you are running your water heater on electric, that adds significant load. That, plus the A/C, in a campground where many others are running their A/C, can result in enough of a voltage drop to cause the breaker to trip (the lower the voltage, the higher the amp draw). If it's really hot out, I run my WH on propane only.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a surge protector and this:

https://hughesautoformers.com/

Might help if voltage drops a little.
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
Looking for any feedback and experiences out there. We just started a 10 day trip and for the first time since owning her the Dometic AC last night at 1:00 am blew the circuit breaker. Took me a while to figure there was even a switch to flip. After checking we had power I reset the breaker, waited 30 min and restarted the AC successfully.

It ran the rest of the night so far. But I have a dreadful feeling that this could be the start of something And with having a dog in camper at times alone and this being the beginning of the trip I am pretty worried.

The AC is 3 years old, I’ve owned it for the last year and have had no issues using it at least 10 times. I do have a surge protector set outside but did not notice anything off about it, all green lights. Of note, the microwave did get some type of surge or power cut because the clock was reset to zero.

It’s Sunday and I’m sure finding a repair person will be difficult at the least. Any body familiar with this kind of issue? Could it have been because of the source power here at the state park. Not a very old park (Skidaway Island Savannah) and everything looks up to snuff out there but it could be I imagine. Or perhaps a capacitor going bad maybe? But at only 3 years old I would be surprised.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

What do you have for a RV? Your profile is missing this information.

My OnePlace center tells me when I experience a brownout condition and disconnects the power.
Did you have storms in the area? Was it very hot with many units pulling the power down?

Watch your voltage throughout the day. You are probably OK. I understand your concern. We had a dog for several years. That was always a concern when we were gone. Would ask a neighbor to keep an eye on things if we didn't take Dawson with us. I do miss him.
Happy trails.
Rick
Old 07-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Might help to know which breaker tripped, where? 30/50/20A

RV breaker inside for the total RV or just the AC?
Campground breaker outside at the pedestal?

1 AM I'd expect the load to be lower than higher.
I use to carry the caps for the AC, made it easier than trying to find them.
Also I have never seen a cap trip a breaker then work later. Either good or bad, not intermittent.
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote