Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help - I can't remove bedroom steps

Is there a trick to removing the top step in the bedroom in a 2006 Horizon 40KD with King Bed? I have spent the past two evenings trying to remove that darn cover but no matter which way I twist or turn the step it won't come out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1224.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	80819   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1223.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	80820  

KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi KD4XR, I had this same problem with our Journey. On ours there was 5 screws holding the step in place, 2 on the side by the air return, 2 on the front . These can be felt underneath the edge and are #2 Phillips screws. The 5th one is under the beds front corner going into the edge of the step, one thing to watch for is this is a rather long screw and you will have to take it out. Then pull the step up near the closet. It wasn't in the manual, I found it on line.
Good luck
Raydar
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My bed is only queen size with air mattress ... but I remember struggling to get that step out the first time.

1) do you have the hidden screws removed? ... I think there are two screws on the under side hidden in the carpet

2) once the screws are removed, mine comes out easily if I raise the bed, and then lift the edge that is towards the front of the coach.

I hope this helps
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Dennis - Thanks for the reply. I got the lower step out and the upper step is loose. The problem is those two corners. One by the air return and the other under the corner of the bed. You can't slid the step out because of the washing machine cabinet and there's no clearance to tilt the step out. I can't full the step up by the closet because it hits the underside of the Washing Machine cabinet. See photo.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had to take the door off the washer cabinet. It wasn't fun to say the least since the service guy was trying to get the coach running. He traveled about 82 miles and was on my dime. As it turned out my problem back there showed up on our last trip out but I only had to remove the cover in the closet. But it had to be towed to their shop.
RAYDAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I've lost turbo pressure so I thought I'd take a look and see if there is anything obvious like a hose popped off. I figure I will save a few bucks by removing the cover on my time just in case I have to take it to a Freightliner facility for diagnostics and repair.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
Is there a trick to removing the top step in the bedroom in a 2006 Horizon 40KD with King Bed? I have spent the past two evenings trying to remove that darn cover but no matter which way I twist or turn the step it won't come out!

Mine is similar - I had to pry mine out - I lifted the part to the drivers side near the closet and kept working it back and forth, up and down and it finally came up. After it was out I lifted the carpet from the rear edge of the step and trimmed off about 1/4 inch on that side and replaced the carpet. It is still tight but I don't have to fight it as much to get it out. Good luck.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
I've lost turbo pressure so I thought I'd take a look and see if there is anything obvious like a hose popped off. I figure I will save a few bucks by removing the cover on my time just in case I have to take it to a Freightliner facility for diagnostics and repair.
This does not make for happy camping. Have you replaced your air filter? They are only good physically for about 5 years at max and then they can fall apart. Not good for turbo. I understand that there was a period of time where the Racor filter failed prematurely. I suggest that you pull the filter and examine the duct to the turbo. If you find any dirt you have found your source of trouble. The turbo is most likely damaged in this scenario.

Your prep work time is worth your cash. I hope you get that stubborn cover off.

Rick Y

Tags
steps