Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help

I have a 2001 winnebago and my warning buzzer comes on and my gauge keeps going back and forth from 0 to 130 and i saw that someone else had the same problem but i dont know how to get a hold of him he mentioned some thing about soldering some thing on the circuit board but i dont know were can you help me jim
jim n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

First things first, welcome.:welcome:
You have came to the right place for help. We are going to need a little more information. What model is your Winnebago? Is it diesel or gas? I have never had a diesel myself, but I have heard of issues with Winnebagos on a Freightliner chassis manufactured in that time frame where a sealed box that is soldered to a circuit board in the dash would develop a faulty connection, and produce the symptoms you describe.

I'm sure others will be chiming in soon with more help. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Do you have two air guages or just one? Resoldering the control module connections is complicated . Before attempting that try disconnecting the chassis batteries for several minutes then reconnect and start up to test. Sounds more like a computer glitch than a connection problem. Rkl
Old 10-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
First things first, welcome.:welcome:
You have came to the right place for help. We are going to need a little more information. What model is your Winnebago? Is it diesel or gas? I have never had a diesel myself, but I have heard of issues with Winnebagos on a Freightliner chassis manufactured in that time frame where a sealed box that is soldered to a circuit board in the dash would develop a faulty connection, and produce the symptoms you describe.

I'm sure others will be chiming in soon with more help. Good luck!
I have journey pusher diesel with the Freightliner chassis
Old 10-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Jim & Cindy,
Your chassis is equipped with what's called the "VDC" or, Vehicle Data Computer. That box, normally on your chassis, is mounted very close to engine, up on the frame, on the passenger side. It is a control box that intercepts signals from components on your chassis. Things like the engine ECM (engine control module), Transmission control module and, air system. It then interprets all that information and, converts it so that it can be sent from it to the dash gauges.

On that black box, normally about 6" x 6" x 1-2" or so, you'll see a series of plugs (maybe one or two, not sure on your model) and, you'll also see normally a green air line and a red air line going into it. Those air lines enter that box and, are received by what's called "transducers". Those transducers accept the incoming air pressures and, change it so it can be read by the circuit board inside that VDC.

Now, a common phenomena or, occurance I should say that happens inside that VDC is, the solder joints for those transducers, in relation to the circuit board, vibrate loose. At that point, one or the other of your air gauges on your dash, will go nuts, trying to display the proper air pressure. And, sometimes, (as you're experiencing) that will also bring about the low-pressure air alarm. That happens when the air system THINKS, it's low on air, when in fact, you're not low.

But, the fix for this scenario, in many cases is, to find that black box VDC, disconnect all the lines to it, then get it to the work bench and, find those cold or, damaged solder joints and re-solder them. Or, another way out is to find a brand new one and simply replace it. A call to Freightliner Assist hot line will help you not only locate yours but, whether or not a new one is available. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim n cindy View Post
I have a 2001 winnebago and my warning buzzer comes on and my gauge keeps going back and forth from 0 to 130 and i saw that someone else had the same problem but i dont know how to get a hold of him he mentioned some thing about soldering some thing on the circuit board but i dont know were can you help me jim
I see you are new to the forum. It is most likely the VDC unit.

You don't have to "get a hold" of the person who sent in the correction to the problem. Go to the top of the page where "Search- enhanced by Google" is. You can find any old post about any problem by typing your problem in the search box. In your case type in "VDC repair". Old posts with the solution to your problem will appear.

Hopes this helps you navigate the forum.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
I see you are new to the forum. It is most likely the VDC unit.

You don't have to "get a hold" of the person who sent in the correction to the problem. Go to the top of the page where "Search- enhanced by Google" is. You can find any old post about any problem by typing your problem in the search box. In your case type in "VDC repair". Old posts with the solution to your problem will appear.

Hopes this helps you navigate the forum.

Attached is the VDU troubleshooting file, as well as the VDU repair instructions. It may have been my thread I posted a few weeks ago. I still haven't gotten the chance to do the repair, I'm busy slaying other dragons! Let us know how the repair goes for you, and I will do the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VDC troubleshooting.pdf (131.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: pdf VDC_Repair FL VDU.pdf (240.9 KB, 101 views)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Oh, and Jim, welcome to the forum!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wow what great responses to your VDC problem.
I did the PDFs as Hit_the_road suggested about eight years and again this year. However this year I removed the aluminum plate covering the air pressure sensor before soldering the connections. I created an air leak and had to replace the VDU. Freighliner has updated the VDU with another part number.
Old P/N: 1539-10131-01A
New P/N: KYS 1539-1015901 Rev J
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Question thanks

Hey thanks everyone for your help I'm going to try the soldering I will let you all know how it turns out jim n cindy
Old 10-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi Jim! Welcome to the forum! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with your question!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote