Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hello - with a problem (Basement Door not opening)

First of all, Thank you for the add, I do not own a Winnebago, however my dad does and i signed up to follow / troubleshoot things that he maybe incurring over time. He owns a 1998 Adventure 35foot. His problem is that in one of his basement doors he inserts and tuns the lock with the key, however when he pulls the latch, it does not open.
I have read about the latch giving way and wearing out and we can order the part but how do we get the door open to access the part? Any suggestions

Thanks Winnie Group

Gerry Bower from Texas (DAD lives in Ontario Canada) makes it even more challenging...
Traegerman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When I was inspecting my '97 Adventurer 34 to purchase a few weeks ago, I found one of the basement latches wouldn't release. I stuck a thin screwdriver into the gap between doors to push the bolt out of the striker to get it open (you might also be able to accomplish this up through the bottom of the gap). In this particular case the one bolt had come loose from the pull rod attached to the latch handle mechanism. Once we got it home I drilled out the rivets holding that bolt assembly and other rivets in the side frame to pull it out enough to reconnect the pull rod into the bolt's pull shaft, then riveted it all back together.

I have a couple more latch bolts that need work, either to work them loose (pulled part way and rusted stiff) or replace them.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door