Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Heater core leak

I've read some posts about leaking heater cores in Journeys, but I did not find answers to my questions.

1. Is there an easy way to figure out if the leak is from the core or the nipples (without taking the whole front of the MH off)?

2. I've heard of several people bypassing the heater core. How do you do that? Sounds like a good short term solution until I can get it fixed.

3. If you've had one replaced by a shop or someone else, about how much labor was involved?

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I'm not sure about tackling such a project as replacing the heater core. Thanks for any help on this.

Cajun
Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

As far as bypassing the heater core, my Vectra on the Freightliner Evolution chassis has a pair of yellow cutoff valves on the heater lines back by the engine. Shutting those valves cuts off the heater core.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Ga Cajun

I replaced my heater core in my 2002 Journey 36 GD...Myself and a friend follwing directions given on this forum by Capt. Bill completed the job in aout 5 hours...Key step was tilting the cap forward on the 2 lower bolts and leaning it against a step ladder...all the heavy lifting was avoided by doing this...Other key step was putting the nipples in after the core was in...Almost impossible to put the core in with both nipples attached. I heard shops were quoting $1200 for the labor at 2 men for 6 hours each

...I feel that by doing the first one we could cut the time in half now...Also I installed NAPA shut off valves with a cross over befor the hoses enter the core nipples...This way if it leaks again, a very simple task to bypass the core....Toughest part in my opinion was getting the clips back on the box holding the core...I suggest painting them red after the come off..they have a tendency to fly off if not on perfect...Finding several of them took time......good luck and search for the core replacement thread on this forum.......RKL
Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Chris,

I'll have to look for cutoff valves on mine. Never looked that closely around the engine. Are those valves easy to get to without crawling underneath?

Cajun

RKL,

I've looked over many threads on this (including yours). I was just wondering how hard it would be for me and the DW to handle such a project. I was looking today following BattChief's directions from a few years ago and your posting. Might be able to handle this if it saves $1200.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Cajun, Here is a picture of how smlranger accessed his heater core for replacement.

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...m/DSCN2831.JPG

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It's a fairly straightforward job using Battchief's instructions. The nipples on my new core were not removable and the unit came with a small amount of pressure in it. I ended up removing the front cap as I am a little shorter than average and it was only a couple more bolts. I bet I could cut the time in half if I had to do it again. Be sure to ground the new core.
RC
Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just finished installing my new core yesterday. BattCheif's instructions were perfect. The new cores have the nipples attached and it installed without any problems.

If you get a leak on the road purchase a 5/8 dia heater hose repair kit (approx. $2) at any auto parts store. I now keep one in the MH. Just disconnect at the heater and connect the 2 lines from the engine with the 5/8 tube.

Charlie Tuit
02 Journey 117,000 miles
XL-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Charlie,

Just bought a tube to bypass the heater today. I'll do that for a short term fix, and I'll keep it in the MH just in case. Thanks for the reply. I'm going to try to tackle it as soon as I get the heater core in.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here's a link some pics of my heater cutoff valves (I posted it in the wrong thread!): http://www.irv2.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=14

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Anybody got a part number from SCS Fridgette on that heater core?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2009, 12:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I just called SCS when I needed a new core. They asked a few questions and had one coming my way in no time at all. Very nice people on the phone. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote