Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Heat Pump Not Working

Yesterday we got our 2013 Adventurer out of storage expecting to leave on an extended trip this weekend. When checking out all the systems I found the zone 1 air conditioner would not switch to the heat pump mode. This is a Coleman low profile unit model 47073-879.

I can't seem to find any printed or online trouble shooting or service manuals, or anyone willing to repair the unit. When I called Coleman they suggested just replacing the entire unit at a cost of nearly $1,600.00. I also called several authorized repair facilities and got the same advice. I even called the Winnebago service department at Forest City. They said they weren't authorized the repair these units. The only thing they could do was replace it. This seems to be an extremely expensive "fix" for a unit less than 3 years old with less than 50 hours runtime.

Since the unit does work in the air conditioning mode it seems that the problem lies in either the switching valve or the switching valve solenoid. However without a service manual I can't make an accurate diagnosis.

Does anyone know of a source for a service or troubleshooting manual for this unit?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

Take the cover off the unit. Remove the 4 nuts that hold the gray cover to the condensor. There is a metal box in there. Remove the wingnuts on either side of the metal box. Write down part # . Call Air Excel which is Coleman. Tell them when you purchased the rv in 2014. Hell them the heat pump relay is not activating and not energizing reversing valve. They will send you a new control box for free. I just went through the exact same problem with mine and it was the control box and it waas replaced for free. All you need to do to troubleshoot the switching valve is check it for voltage when in heat pump mode. If it has voltage the unit needs to be replaced as that valve is not replaceable. If not the control box is bad. Depending on when you purchased the unit it has a 3 year warranty on that thing.

Also while you are up there get some of the metal reflective tape. Cover the entire outside of the gray box with it. It brought the temp of that condensor housing by 30 degrees and it works much better
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs here is a wiring diagram a my friend at Winnebago sent me. Will you give you a idea of how the system is wired.
Remove the inside cover on the AC unit and reset the connections on the control board. Those are low voltage signals that control the AC functions and a little corrosion goes a long way.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf strib_2011_and_later_PRECISIONS_CIRCUITS_AC_DIAGRAM.pdf (112.2 KB, 235 views)
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks everyone. I've gotten more and better information from the members if this board in less then 24 hours than I've gotten from the manufacturer and the service providers in nearly 3 years.

This started as an intermittent problem when the motorhome was less than 6 months old. Sometimes the heat pump function would work, sometimes it wouldn't. It's been to the factory twice, but both times they couldn't duplicate the problem. Since it didn't act up when it was in the shop the problem was passed off as operator error.

As luck would have it now that the problem is repeatable the unit is technically out of warranty. If we have decent weather today I'll climb up and do some checking around. Hopefully it's a simple problem that can be diagnosed and repaired without too much trouble.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If you had this problem during thr warranty period, even if they could not duplicate it, then that would be in your service records, and Winnebago should cover the repair, even if it is now technically out of warranty. Don't let them off the hook for that, as intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose, and do not always conveniently present when take to the service facility. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Keep after them. Also, the previous posts give excellent advice.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I went through the diagnostic process this afternoon. As RangerSmith described there was no current to the switching valve solenoid. I wrote down the number of the control panel and gave Airxcel a call to explain the situation.

I spoke with a technician named Dale and walked him through the procedure I followed. He agreed the problem was in the control panel and is shipping me one at no charge tomorrow. He didn't offer any information as to why he was sending it out free of charge, and I didn't want to ask too many questions.

It won't be here in time for our trip starting this weekend, but I don't think it's going to be necessary since temps where we're going are supposed to be in the low 80's next week.

Thank you all for your assistance, and thank you Airxcel for standing behind your product.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:33 AM   #7
aa1ssradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I went through the diagnostic process this afternoon. As RangerSmith described there was no current to the switching valve solenoid. I wrote down the number of the control panel and gave Airxcel a call to explain the situation.

I spoke with a technician named Dale and walked him through the procedure I followed. He agreed the problem was in the control panel and is shipping me one at no charge tomorrow. He didn't offer any information as to why he was sending it out free of charge, and I didn't want to ask too many questions.

It won't be here in time for our trip starting this weekend, but I don't think it's going to be necessary since temps where we're going are supposed to be in the low 80's next week.

Thank you all for your assistance, and thank you Airxcel for standing behind your product.
They are excellent for standing behind their product. The units on mine were built in 2012 on a 2013 motorhome purchased in 2014 and they honored the warranty.

On my tires Freightliner put 2012 on the inner rears and 2013 on the outers. Michelin is replacing them all at 90% value and all I have to pay is 10% because of the sidewall cracking.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

We just got back from our trip yesterday and as promised there was a package from Airxcel waiting for us. Actually there were 3 packages. On our trip we used the air conditioners a fair amount, and as others have commented they were extremely loud.

I called Dale back to see if we could purchase a couple of the new 3 blade fans to cut down on the noise. I gave him the model and serial numbers of the units and he sent me the fan kits again at no charge. I was expecting to replace both fans and the control box today, but with the rain it'll have to wait a few days. If the weather man is correct the next sunny day will be Sunday. If it actually does stop raining by then I'll install the new parts and hopefully have quiet air conditioners and a functioning heat pump.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

It's been a while since I received the fan kits from Airxcel. I had every intention of installing them in April, but like most things life gets in the way. I finally installed them this afternoon, and what a difference.

It just so happens the front air conditioner is almost directly over the main TV in our 2013 Adventurer 32H. Before installing the fans the wife and I sat on the couch with both ACs on high and tried to watch TV. The volume had to be set at 59 to hear the Weather Channel meteorologists.

I went up on the roof and replaced both fans. The whole job took about 15 minutes. I came back down and we turned on the AC's and the TV and did another test. This time the volume only had to be set at 42 to be heard over the fan noise. To be sure we weren't kidding ourselves we turned the volume back to the 59 setting as required before the fan replacement. At that setting it almost blew us off the couch.

While the roof air conditioners are still much louder than the basement air in our old coach the sound reduction certainly makes things more enjoyable.

If the weather holds I'll try to install the heat pump control box tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs, we have tried the new fans twice once when they were first available and then in May with a new D version. We just cannot get pass the hum that comes with the new style fans so I put the old ones back on.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Hikerdogs, we have tried the new fans twice once when they were first available and then in May with a new D version. We just cannot get pass the hum that comes with the new style fans so I put the old ones back on.
I noticed the new fans have a higher pitched hum than the old ones. It seems far more noticeable outside than in. I ran the units for an hour or so yesterday just to see if the noise would be objectionable. At this point it's hard to tell. The old ones made a very low pitched rumbling which is not there with the new ones. Time will tell as to whether the new fans will be acceptable. I saved the old ones just in case.

I also installed the new control box on the zone 1 AC. It's been in the high 70's to low 80's so it's not the best circumstances to try the heat pump. The lows are supposed to be in the 50's the next couple days. If I can drag myself out there before it warms up in the morning I'll give it a try.

Tags
heat, heat pump