Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

... when I use the heat pump, it appears to work fine. Inside there is no abnormal noise. However, when outside near the rear panel .. there is a loud clattering and banging as if a fan blade or something is coming loose. Upon start up, there is an additional clattering and banging sound. It is less when running, but upon start up ... it sounds as though something will be flying off the unit anytime.

Have any of you experienced this noise? If so, how was it corrected.

The dealership says this is a normal noise for start up and run time with these basement units. I have never heard anyone elese's makethis kind of noise.

Any comments I can take tot he dealer wil much appreciated.

ciao .. FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
FrankieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

... when I use the heat pump, it appears to work fine. Inside there is no abnormal noise. However, when outside near the rear panel .. there is a loud clattering and banging as if a fan blade or something is coming loose. Upon start up, there is an additional clattering and banging sound. It is less when running, but upon start up ... it sounds as though something will be flying off the unit anytime.

Have any of you experienced this noise? If so, how was it corrected.

The dealership says this is a normal noise for start up and run time with these basement units. I have never heard anyone elese's makethis kind of noise.

Any comments I can take tot he dealer wil much appreciated.

ciao .. FrankieJ

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 11-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Frankie:

I would say it should not be banging/clanging. Mine pretty much sounds like the outside unit of a house central AC/heat pump....fan noise and the compressors rumble a bit upon start up.

Do a search on 'basement air' and you may find a post where one of our members found some loose tubing inside the unit that was making some noise due to vibration...he used cable ties to secure it and said it made the unit much more quiet.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

... thanks smlranger ... will check out "basement sir". Did the fellow say how he got inside the unit and what was required to get there?

2001 Adventurer 32V
Old 11-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Well, the A/C unit is one thing I haven't worked on yet but I believe you remove a few screws from the panel in front of the unit, the panel hinges up, remove a few more screws and the unit slides out. I think you have to disconnect the duct work...you may find that detail in your search.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yeah, that's what my dealer told me too, "normal start up noise." NOT!! About a year after the startup up clanking began, one day it just refused to start at all and made a continuous clanking noise. I would nearly bet you have a bad blower motor. The unit has two blower motors, one for outside and one for inside. If you have air blowing out the inside vents, it is the outside motor that is bad. If not, it is the inside blower motor that is bad. I understand this is a fairly normal failure. Particuarly the motor for the outside blower gets a lot of dust. Cost for the motor is between $200 & $300, plus the labor to pull the unit. I had mine done while visiting Branson MO or total cost of around $500 (estimate as I also had a part replaced in my awning.) Unless you are close to a dealer you know can service it, and you trust, go to the RVP website to find a service location.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Frankie,

A couple of years ago had a similar noise in our unit. Took it to a Heating/Airconditioning place and they opened the system up and found that the set screw on the squirrel cage fan had come loose and this allowed the fan to move just slightly. Reset the fan and tightened the set screw and all was well.

Hope your problem is as easy to solve.

Dean Nelson
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

On my '00 Journey I had a terrible rattling noise coming from the a/c. They replaced 2 blower motors (this was on the outside fan) and it did not fix it. Finally they replaced the squirrel cage. I was somehow out of balance/round. This fixed the problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

... thanks for the input everyone. The unit is at the dealership as I write this .. it is still under the warranty.

The dealership has a good reputation ... but you still have to keep them honest. I asked if anyone .. service manager .. service personnel .. anyone... actually plugged it in and listened to the noise. I sort of got a blank glaze as everyone looked at everyone else to see who the culprit may be. Well, they told me to leave the RV and I am hoping that it is a simple adjustment so they do not have to put a lot of money into it to make it right.

2001 Adventurer 32V