Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I just found this crinkled up post card in my Winnie Black Bag... it's for an optional 3 year air conditioner Parts Only additional warranty for $90, takes affect after the std two-year warranty ends.

So naturally that got me to wondering how many owners actually experience an a/c failure in years 3 thru 5 of their ownership. Generally, I don't consider "extended warranty" contracts, but this *seems* reasonable.

Thoughts?

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Tweke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just found this crinkled up post card in my Winnie Black Bag... it's for an optional 3 year air conditioner Parts Only additional warranty for $90, takes affect after the std two-year warranty ends.

So naturally that got me to wondering how many owners actually experience an a/c failure in years 3 thru 5 of their ownership. Generally, I don't consider "extended warranty" contracts, but this *seems* reasonable.

Thoughts?

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Old 03-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

No failures for me but an AC will run you about 500 to 600$ just to buy it.
Then the labor to install it at 120$ a hour if its out of warranty.
Could be money well spend if you are close to the end of the regular warranty.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ah - forgot to mention - you have to purchase this within the first 90 days the MoHo purchase...

(slight detail)

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Old 03-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Traded my 1994 Vectra (81k miles) with basement AC a year ago. Basement AC still worked great.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I beleive a deal cost on a basement air is $2400.
Yes I had a night mare situation with on in my previous MH. The biggest problem I see with them is trying to find some one to work on them that knows what they are doing.
Please note that I bought another MH with a basement air. When they work ,I think they are great.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

tweke, Have had failures of all A/C units at some point over the last 3 years. 2003 Brave bought in April 2003. The dash A/C went out just after the first year. The top 2 A/C units went out within a week of one another last July-Aug. 05. Was able to repair them by ordering parts myself and installing. It would have cost several hundred dollars to repair-mostly labor charges. However, I bought the parts for $12.00 each. Just lucky, I guess. Firesheep
Old 03-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

When I had a problem with basement air my dealer recomended a residential air conditioner service. Coleman has trouble shooting info available and they are not difficult to work on.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Had my other coach 5 years w/o problems with the basement air, we just replaced the thermostat under war in our present coach. Air wouldn't come on. Saw the bill, thermostat was $78.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hmm,

Good Info!

Calculating it out gives something like 8.2 cents/day for the three years of parts coverage. Overall, sounds like these basement units are pretty reliable... but at 8 cents/day, I'm starting to lean toward just goin for it - especially since we use the units for heat as well as cooling.

Gotta decide soon as my 90-day "anniversary" is approaching fast!

Hmmm - just noticed - can't find that sample contract that the card refers to that's supposed to be in the back bag. Anyone else have one of those, or maybe purchased this contract? Just curious - hopefully it's not composed of page-after-page of EXCLUSIONS

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Old 03-15-2006, 06:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Yes. I have had 2 A/C's fail.

Our 1983 RV has 3 AC's. After only 19 years one of the AC's failed (rear). After 21 years another fialed (front). The center air must have been made better because after 23 years it is still running strong.

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2000 Horizon and my a/c stared giving me problems last summer on a trip through Kentucky. I found a mobile RV guy to come to the Campground and he replaced the thermostate and a bad relay, extended warranty paid $245. A few months later at home I noticed a constant BUZZ when the heater had cut off. It woundn't go to gas heat automaticly when you bumped up the thermostate in the electric mode, had to put it on Gas heat to get it to work. I have had it in the shop twice and they don't know what they are doing, they said it was a circit board, replaced that, still BUZZED, took it back they said they would have to take the unit out and replace two reversing valve, they had it all day and took the unit out, had an A/C guy (out of shop)to install the parts but he said that wasn't the problem so they put it back in and said they were ordering a new relay.
The dealer is only 3 miles from the house, that is the only bright side to the story. I'm losing confidence fast. So buy the extended warranty!!! Good luck!