Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have seen this product advertised by a company called EZ RV Products. It consists of a rod with a large suction cup at each end. One end attaches to the front end of the deisel coach and the other end attaches to the door to prevent it from swinging open too far or from slamming closed. Does it work as advertised??
Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have seen this product advertised by a company called EZ RV Products. It consists of a rod with a large suction cup at each end. One end attaches to the front end of the deisel coach and the other end attaches to the door to prevent it from swinging open too far or from slamming closed. Does it work as advertised??
Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

yes, I saw one mounted on a DP and what a mess it left. The owners left their camp site with the door open and the door holder in place. When the owner returned to his coach found the door-end of the holder loose, the door swinging to & fro with the rod end leaving a gouge in the paint and each swing. Apparently the suction cup on the door-end of the rod had dropped off, leaving the bare rod to make its scratches and gouges. J. Wood
Old 07-23-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Bought one over a year ago. It is OK and I would give it a 3 on a scale of five. Will work in a breezy day, but nothing heavy.

You do have to insure that the pins holding the cotter pins are secure or they will fall out. I taped them so that they will remain attached.

All in all it is better than nothing.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 07-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The cheezy little door stop really has me concerned that I'm facing a catastrophic failure one day. I saw a coach a few weeks ago with a scissor hinge installed at the top of the door, and grabbed it about 1/2 way out. This seems like a way better solution to that tiny little 1.5" bar currently being used.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the info guess I will look at something else. The damage described above is what I was afraid of. I think Atwood makes a heavier hinge that is adjustable I did not want to disassemble the the door panel and hinge for a solution.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the suction cup door holder and it works well. I always clean the door and front coach surfaces before attaching and it holds. It will, understandably, come loose if applied to a dirty surface.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It sounds as though you have made up your mind but I will give you my opinion since you asked. I bought one last fall and have used it since that time. I agree that you need to make sure the coach surfaces are clean for it to have a secure hold. I don't believe that it is smart to wander off and leave the door open regardless of what is holding it. The only problem I had with it was forgetting that it was attached and shutting the door. That put a nice bend in the rod. Not hard to straighten and I considered it a lesson learned.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have used the EZ stop and it works well. I also installed a new door stop and wrote an entry about it. Another forum member helped me post pictures. Check it out using topic search or look at my picture album.

If your door swings open without any resistance, take apart the door liner and tighten the two adjusting screws tight. If that doesn't work just install a new door stop. The install will take about 90 minutes for the first one. Or, swing your rig by my house and it will take about 30 minutes and two cold beverages.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I just wish Winnebago would design the door right in the first place. Go look at a recent Fleetwood and you'll find a gas strut opener at the top of the door that also serves a max travel stay. Watching it in action on my neighbors Discovery it appears to handle a pretty stiff breeze coming from any direction.

I've looked at trying to add/modify to do the same on my Journey. But there's simply not enough clearance in the current door frame design.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote