Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2006, 03:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2000 BraveSE. It is a great unit with very few problems and I plan to use it till the wheels drop off. I like the way it handles, economy,spaciousness, and performance. I do have a problem with the floor softening in the galley area next to the dinnette. Apparently the subfloor has loosened over the years. It can't be rotten cause it has dry squeeks and seems to be strong. No water spots or staining.I have in mind that I want to install 3/4" oak flooring over the surface with a poly-urathane finish.Not only will it look great, it should be easy to maintain.Can anyone tell me what the thickness of the sub floor is? I will nail or screw and glue the flooring right over the subfloor or maybe even over the existing vinyl.I do not want to go through the subfloor as I don't want to break the seal between the subfloor and the bottom of the coach. I thought about using pergo but I do not think it has the structural strength that regular 3/4" hardwood flooring has. Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this? Can anyone give me any tips?
Junior 913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2000 BraveSE. It is a great unit with very few problems and I plan to use it till the wheels drop off. I like the way it handles, economy,spaciousness, and performance. I do have a problem with the floor softening in the galley area next to the dinnette. Apparently the subfloor has loosened over the years. It can't be rotten cause it has dry squeeks and seems to be strong. No water spots or staining.I have in mind that I want to install 3/4" oak flooring over the surface with a poly-urathane finish.Not only will it look great, it should be easy to maintain.Can anyone tell me what the thickness of the sub floor is? I will nail or screw and glue the flooring right over the subfloor or maybe even over the existing vinyl.I do not want to go through the subfloor as I don't want to break the seal between the subfloor and the bottom of the coach. I thought about using pergo but I do not think it has the structural strength that regular 3/4" hardwood flooring has. Any thoughts? Anyone ever done this? Can anyone give me any tips?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Perhaps some points to consider...

Dp you have a slide out? Would the 3/4" flooring interfere with moving the slide? I agree the hardwood would look great, but a 25 year Pergo would allow more flexing which might be an advantage in an RV. There has been a recent thread somewhere around the forum about wood floorings. Do a search and find lots more comments. I wouldn't mind having wood floors, but have been told a slide will likely ruin the surface quickly.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have tried a "wood floorings" search and found nothing. I do not have a slide so your concerns relative to a slide are a non issue.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Having just put down 3/4" oak flooring in my kitchen. And last summer put down the lamenant flooring in two of my bedrooms, I'm going to advise you to go with the lamenant.
If you plan on nailing down the 3/4" flooring, you will find the nailing tool (which can be rented at Home Depot) quite clumbersom for the confined space in a MH. Of course glueing could solve that issue.
But like retired and Happy said, because of the flexing of the MH, the lamenant would be the better choice in my book also. Of course it's only my humble opinion. My '96 Adventurer will need the carpet replaced very soon and I've already pondered the two choices of flooring. I have a slide so that makes the 3/4" flooring out of the question. Also the above reasons about the confined space for installation. I'm going with the lamenant.
Good luck, and remember, any improvement always looks great!

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Fred, if you do replace your floor lay it on the diagonal front to back. I saw it in a high-end coach also the slide may work better traveling over the floor.The rollers will contact more boards that way and not just put the pressure on one seam of one board. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just did a wood flooring search from the FIND tab at the top of irv2 RV Forums and got 64 responses. I can't explain why you didn't see those, but one talked about putting laminate over vinyl and another talked about gluing it to the subfloor. The laminate I just had installed in my house does not glue down, but floats on a cushion pad above the subfloor.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by retired and happy:
I just did a wood flooring search from the FIND tab at the top of irv2 RV Forums and got 64 responses. I can't explain why you didn't see those, but one talked about putting laminate over vinyl and another talked about gluing it to the subfloor. The laminate I just had installed in my house does not glue down, but floats on a cushion pad above the subfloor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep. Just did this also in my kitchen at home. It as almost too easy! I will be replacing my 26DB carpeting with it this year.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Junior,Click HERE for the search results...

Perhaps when you did your search you didn't remove the "check" mark in the "search this forum only" box?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice 007. I will take your suggestion and do just that. The reasoning makes alot of sense.

This is exactly what I like about this forum. Just when you think you have some good advice, along comes others with better advice!

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Junior:
I have a 2000 BraveSE. It is a great unit with very few problems and I plan to use it till the wheels drop off...

I do have a problem with the floor softening in the galley area next to the dinnette.

I have in mind that I want to install 3/4" oak flooring over the surface with a poly-urathane finish.Not only will it look great, it should be easy to maintain. Can anyone tell me what the thickness of the sub floor is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Junior,

The subfloor should be a stress skin composit of 1/8 to 7/32 inch plywood, 1 to 2 inch foam and a sheet of 1/8 to 3/16 plywood. It really isn't a very good base for nailing to.

I saw a dealer put 1/2 plywood over it screwing it to the floor braces and then he layed in new sheet vinyl. That was on a 94 Vectra 31RQ with no slides. The floor felt rock solid when he was through.

Regards,

Neil
Old 04-04-2006, 05:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hi all,

Just wanted to "Thank" everyone for their fine responses to my post. I have found a lot of useful information on wood flooring, what to use and what not to use and a ton of installation tips. So I am developing my strategy for the replacement. I sure appreciate all of your suggestions. Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 05:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

When you finalize your plan and/or when you finish the project, please post the results for our benefit. Thanks,